The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield's reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Trust me Sheffield is a top ten uni in UK. Focus only on research quality, dont see rubbish newspaper rankings based on manipulated questionaires. Trust me.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hey JI’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and waswondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?Thanks!
Reply 22
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of Sheffield's reputation compared to say Bristol's for Politics&IR? I know it's the experience you gain during your degree that is most important and I believe I have enough motivation to gain successful experience from both universities. From what i know, they both rank similarly with Politics. In general, has one university got a better reputation overall for graduate employers? (eg is a graduate preferred from one of them). Any help/advice would be great - thanks.
Hello I am applying for the 2017 entry. Just wanna know is Sheffield reputable for Ecology and Conservation Biology or Zoology? Still considering to choose Sheffield or other uni like Exeter, Manchester, Leeds.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Nottingham and Exeter are slightly better unis within the UK (depending on subject, definitely so for arts subjects with the exception of politics, for biological sciences and engineering Sheffield is slightly better). Internationally you'll find Nottingham and Sheffield will pull ahead as they have a much larger proportion of international students and that leads to better connections.

Sheffield has been slipping nationally in the last couple of years however I'd argue that's due to a lot of projects going on recently such as building the Diamond, this year there aren't as many distractions so you should see it's reputation improving over the next few years.

If I was in your position as an international student, without knowing the course you want to do, my default advice would be go to Nottingham. If you want to do something in politics, biological sciences or engineering, or you want to go to a city uni rather than a campus uni, I'd say go for Sheffield.

How about Ecology and Conservation Biology or Zoology?
Original post by Hiisahsoka
How about Ecology and Conservation Biology or Zoology?

Those would come under Biological sciences, so yeah Sheffield's reputation is quite good for that.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Those would come under Biological sciences, so yeah Sheffield's reputation is quite good for that.

Thank you!!
But I am not sure ecology and conservation biology is under biological science or environmental science. And sheffield is particularly good at biomedicine but I am reli not so sure about zoology but thx a lot!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you!!
But I am not sure ecology and conservation biology is under biological science or environmental science. And sheffield is particularly good at biomedicine but I am reli not so sure about zoology but thx a lot!!

For Sheffield they come under Animal and Plant Sciences which would be included within biological sciences
Hello I am applying for the 2017 entry. Just wanna know is Sheffield reputable for Ecology and Conservation Biology or Zoology? Still considering to choose Sheffield or other uni like Exeter, Manchester, Leeds.

Hey there! I've got an offer from Sheffield to do Zoology! My other offers are from Bristol, Manchester, and Leeds.:smile:

I've heard that Biological Sciences is one of Sheffield's best subjects. So I think Sheffield's ranking for Biological Sciences would probably be higher than its overall ranking.

If you're doing Zoology, what other unis are you considering?
Reply 29
I have been accepted to MSc Polymers for Advanced Technologies - Sheffield. My other offers are from Maastricht - Biobased Materials, Manchester - Polymer Science and Engineering, Birmngham - MRes Biomaterials. Which is the best choice?
I need help to choose my study in MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management. I got offer letter from University of Sheffield and Cardiff University.I am waiting for decision from Cranfield University and University of Bristol.Requesting your recommendation for admission based on UK employer satisfaction and graduate employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending