The Student Room Group

Low self esteem/ depression??!

I need help! I have such a low self esteem and possibly depression too... I missed out on going to uni today because i just felt like i couldn't deal with the world. I started the day off by shopping tried on a few things felt fat and really ugly and decided i was done with the day it was only 11am -.- I've not been able to keep on top of my uni work lately and just feel like I can't leave the house. I've self harmed before and really want to do it again for that little short time of 'relief'. I just feel like i can't be in this world anymore i feel like i'm not going to have a very bright future and i can't explain how i'm feeling to anyone. i've never been to the doctors on my own so I very highly doubt i could go to talk about how i feel (i'm 20). What do i do i can't live my life like this in such struggle sometimes i just wish i can end it all... the only people i can talk to is here on TSR which i find so helpful because otherwise i would go totally insane !
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way :/ Do you have a family member or a close friend who you could go with to the gp? Maybe you could write down all the things on a piece of paper if you're unable to express the way you feel properly and give it to the doctor? It's v. important you get the help you need because you can't keep on living like this.
:hugs:
people have been in your position before and they'll tell you how they recovered
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ihatescience56
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way :/ Do you have a family member or a close friend who you could go with to the gp? Maybe you could write down all the things on a piece of paper if you're unable to express the way you feel properly and give it to the doctor? It's v. important you get the help you need because you can't keep on living like this.

Not really we don't speak to our extended family and i've grown apart from my old friends since starting uni and i've just made new friends at uni but wouldn't take them to GP with me. Yeah i was thinking of writing things down but i wouldn't be able to go on my own i don't know if i would ever go asking for helps it's so difficult.
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
:hugs:
people have been in your position before and they'll tell you how they recovered

i hope so :smile:
Hi, I went through similar in my first year it got to the point where it was too difficult for me to leave the house sometimes and I missed days at uni. It can all slip very quickly so it's really important get some help immediately. I would start by contacting your uni tutor. Don't worry about them judging you they are there to support you and would have seen countless students about similar problems. You should also inform your GP of how you are feeling. I know it's hard to voice it, but if you have to show them this page. There should also be some sort of disability service as well at your uni. They can often put certain things in place for you for example my uni put me in touch with a professional mentor to help keep me in check so that I didn't slip with my work and counselling services and also informed me of a support group. Support groups are great, you'd be amazed at how many people are going through the same thing but are too scared to reach out. Uni can be a lonely, stressful place!

I think one of the main dangers here is isolation. The problem is with isolation is it's a slippery slope the more scared and depressed you feel the more isolated you make yourself and vice versa. I highly recommend joining an active society at uni. Also try some volunteering, what would be particularly useful is the work where you reach out to people who themselves are lonely and isolated such as the homeless and the elderly. I volunteered to help the homeless and the experience taught me a lot about myself to. Just really stay active go to departmental and networking events and talk to other students, staff, employers etc. Every little helps here even small conversations to start with. Don't let your insecurities get the best of you, because the best of you has a lot to offer :smile:

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending