The Student Room Group

American Intl. Student Applying for Medical School in UK: HELP

Hey!

In case you haven't seen already from the title, I'm an American and I want to go to the UK. It's much easier than spending 8 years + in the states and spending the rest of your life paying back loans haha.

Do I have a better chance of getting accepted because I am black (my parents are African immigrants)? Also, if I can only apply to only 5 school through UCAS, how do I pick? I heard that one could apply using the system: 1 top, 3 middle, 1 low.

I have one more year until I graduate, so I still have time in making decisions and getting in test results and what not. However, I'm terrified of the fact that I might not get accepted to any unis or that I may have to result in staying in the US to study medicine.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The UK has a strict quota on the number of international medical students each university can take, so international places are very competitive, probably more so than places for "home" students. They do not operate any positive discrimination on racial grounds. As an international student, fees are tens of thousands of pounds per year, so it's not going to be a massively cheap option compared with the USA, and I don't know if you'd be able to get loans to cover them as you would in the US. You also have to bear in mind that if you want to go back to the US to work, you would be at a disadvantage for residency jobs compared with graduates from US universities.

Most UK students choose their med schools based on a combination of where they like and where they are likely to get in, as each place varies slightly in what it requires from applicants. All med schools are regulated by the GMC and there aren't really any "top/middle/bottom" schools; job applications for junior doctors in the UK are blinded to which university you attended. There may be a "prestige" argument if you want to go back to the US and they may pay more attention to that.

Overall, if you want to be a doctor in the USA, I'd strongly recommend you try to study there if you can. Coming over here would give you a shorter university course, but might not cost much less and could adversely affect your employment prospects there.
You won't get any benefit at all because of your race. It's illegal for any UK university discriminate based on race (supposedly). Most people have 5 applications on UCAS for their subject but medicine applicants can only chose medicine for four of their choices and their fifth must be something else. If and when you get offers you must lower it down to two. One is your firm choice - which you'll go to if you meet the condtions of their offer (graduating with a certain GPA??? not sure how american education is measured) and if you don't meet the conditions of your first choice and meet the conditions of your second you'll be on that course instead. Every medical university requires interviews and are very competitive - even more so for international students. You will probably need to take the UKCAT (most UK universities require this test) and the BMAT (if you plan on applying to certain universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, ICL.)

Medical courses are generally of the same caliber, with the only noticeable differences being style of teaching (some are lecture-based while others tend towards problem-based learning).

Are you graduating from high school or 'college'/university as an undergraduate? What is your GPA? Do you have any experience in a medical or caring environment?

Also - if you wanted to start the course in 2016 you're too late - the deadline was October 15th.
@Helenia Yeah, I heard that UK schools are extremely competitive to get into because of the limited international student spots. My plan as of now is to get scholarships that aren't school affiliated and use them to pay off tuition fees. Also, once I do graduate from medical school in the UK, I would go back to the US, take the medical board exam, and I'd be able to practice from then on.
Original post by canyounotkthx
@Helenia Yeah, I heard that UK schools are extremely competitive to get into because of the limited international student spots. My plan as of now is to get scholarships that aren't school affiliated and use them to pay off tuition fees. Also, once I do graduate from medical school in the UK, I would go back to the US, take the medical board exam, and I'd be able to practice from then on.

You would have to do a residency in the US, if you could get a place. What do you mean by scholarships that aren't school affiliated?
@Docjones1 I'm a junior, or my third year in high school, so I'm graduating in 2017, and starting university in the Sept. - October time of 2017. So in that case, I still have time haha. I do plan on taking the BMAT and UKCAT. I looked the requirements for the medical schools/universities I was interested in for American international students, and they ask more of my test results rather than my GPA. My GPA is good for sure (4.0 unweighted, 4.75 unweighted) because I am taking some college classes now while in high school. However, they want my test scores haha. For example, my SAT, ACT, AP, BMAT and UKCAT results, all in the sciences.
@Docjones1 Here in the US, most scholarships are provided by schools that the student is accepted into. So if I apply to one school, and they admit me and also provide me with a scholarship, I can't use that scholarship money and use it for another school, whether it be in the US or internationally. So that means I have to get a scholarship that isn't bind to a school.
Reply 7

I'm afraid I don't know anything about what scholarships would be available to you, but if you think you can find some, go for it.

Do be aware that although you can practice medicine in the USA with a UK degree, provided you pass the USMLE, you will be at a disadvantage compared with US graduates when it comes to applying for residency jobs. Again I don't know details, as I have no interest in working over there, but it's something for you to look into more.
Reply 8
@Docjones1 Here in the US, most scholarships are provided by schools that the student is accepted into. So if I apply to one school, and they admit me and also provide me with a scholarship, I can't use that scholarship money and use it for another school, whether it be in the US or internationally. So that means I have to get a scholarship that isn't bind to a school.

Are you sure you can apply to UK Medical Degrees without A Levels or the IB? The Universities that I've looked at require A Levels or IB for applicants from the US for medicine. However, they do only require AP exams for non-medical degrees, if you'd like to look into that.
@celloel Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's possible. I dont take IB, only AP. If my AP scores are 5s, then I can at least think of myself as a consideration for the schools haha. If not medicine, I could study biology, biomedical sciences, chemistry, or any other science based degree. But medicine is my first choice, because its my dream to become a doctor and to practice cardiothoracic surgery, despite location. :u:
@celloel Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's possible. I dont take IB, only AP. If my AP scores are 5s, then I can at least think of myself as a consideration for the schools haha. If not medicine, I could study biology, biomedical sciences, chemistry, or any other science based degree. But medicine is my first choice, because its my dream to become a doctor and to practice cardiothoracic surgery, despite location. :u:

Its not a horrible option, good luck! Honestly though I believe the american system would still work for you, 4 years of UG and 4 years of medical school. Consider it as well. If you ended up wanting to pursue a top residency or a competitive specialty though doing American schooling will help you immensely.
Hey!

In case you haven't seen already from the title, I'm an American and I want to go to the UK. It's much easier than spending 8 years + in the states and spending the rest of your life paying back loans haha.

Do I have a better chance of getting accepted because I am black (my parents are African immigrants)? Also, if I can only apply to only 5 school through UCAS, how do I pick? I heard that one could apply using the system: 1 top, 3 middle, 1 low.

I have one more year until I graduate, so I still have time in making decisions and getting in test results and what not. However, I'm terrified of the fact that I might not get accepted to any unis or that I may have to result in staying in the US to study medicine.

Thanks!

Is this a serious question? LOL, you're in for a shock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it wouldn't be a completely unreasonable thing to ask because as I'm sure you know, race can affect USA admissions

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say it like it's absurd - that's how it works in the USA.
Original post by Student403
Well it wouldn't be a completely unreasonable thing to ask because as I'm sure you know, race can affect USA admissions

Original post by Docjones1
You say it like it's absurd - that's how it works in the USA.

Yes, but you don't ask like it's some kind of ticket into med-school. Sure, it plays a part, but it being the FIRST question in a post about applying is a bit silly.

Affirmative action isn't meant to be an auto-accept nor is it meant to be a bypass.
Yes, but you don't ask like it's some kind of ticket into med-school. Sure, it plays a part, but it being the FIRST question in a post about applying is a bit silly.

Affirmative action isn't meant to be an auto-accept nor is it meant to be a bypass.

I don't think the "order" of his questions was for any reason. Perhaps it's something which he was wondering, which is completely fair.

Also "Do I have a better chance of getting accepted because I am black (my parents are African immigrants)?" doesn't imply that he thought affirmative action = auto accept or bypass. He literally just asked if it improved his chances lol
@Okorange Thanks! I'll still consider it haha. As of now, I'm working on a research project that I'd still like to continue once I'm in college. So let's see what happens haha
@Princepieman Yes, that was a serious question. I apologize if it came off as silly; here in the US, universities take pride in a diverse student population. They like it a little more when there aren't only just whites haha. I didn't mean it as a straight ticket into medical school. I asked assuming that, along with my grades, score results, and qualifications, that my race would play at least some part. I apologize, once again.

@Docjones1 @Student403 I'm assuming you are a little familiar with the US admissions process haha. I'm also a female, btw. lol :h:
@Princepieman Yes, that was a serious question. I apologize if it came off as silly; here in the US, universities take pride in a diverse student population. They like it a little more when there aren't only just whites haha. I didn't mean it as a straight ticket into medical school. I asked assuming that, along with my grades, score results, and qualifications, that my race would play at least some part. I apologize, once again.

@Docjones1 @Student403 I'm assuming you are a little familiar with the US admissions process haha. I'm also a female, btw. lol :h:

Oh no, I'm fully familiar with it. I just didn't really like how it was the first thing you asked, that's just me being slightly persnickety.

Anyway, you'll find that the cohorts here are diverse in spite (or shall I say thankfully due) to the lack of affirmative action. The way it works over here is that there's a lot of investments in 'outreach' towards underrepresented individuals (i.e. poor, first gen, minorities) but the bar is not lowered in any way for them during the admissions process.

You shouldn't really be worried about race, the universities themselves are pretty diverse anyway. Plus, I'm sure you'll make friends with people from other races..
@Princepieman Alright, then to put race aside, besides score results and grades, is there a way I can tell admission officers about experience in the medical field? I know I can talk about it in my personal statement and all, but I feel as if my personal statement and grades and scores may not be enough to tell them about myself, that is, if I don't get an offer to participate in an interview either overseas or where I am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending