The Student Room Group

Second Student Account in Second Year

Hi everyone,

I'm in a right pickle financially at the moment and almost at the bottom of my overdraft (student account at Natwest, been with them for years). I don't get much in my student loan and living in London is crippling, plus I don't get any support from my parents because they are also skint. I'm in need of money quick.

I called Santander to try and open an account and me being the honest schmuck I am instantly admitted to having another student account with Natwest. I said that I wanted to use one for everyday and the other for rent and bills etc. but they explained that it wasn't possible and would have to close my Natwest account.

Now I have applied for a Barclay's account online with the hope they'll give me the overdraft with little hassle. I have an appointment at one of the branches to go and prove my student status etc. but I'm worried that as I'm second year it'll be more difficult. I know plenty of people with two student accounts but they all secured them in first year. Does anyone have any similar experience?

I don't want to make the same mistake I did with Santander so what should I say if they ask if I have another student account? I'm desperate at this point I can't have my current account closed but need the extra cash but I'm a little worried about lying.

Any extra advice on working the banks to my advantage would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Simple don't tell them your other account is a student one

Posted from TSR Mobile
It feels like you are being a little hasty. You are barely half way through your second year. It you are scratching around for money now, what is it going to be like in a couple of months when you have bottomed out overdraft number 2? Or next year?

Go and see the welfare officer in your union. They may be able to help with financial planning and also hardship funds that can get you out of the immediate problem.

It is worth pointing out that it is illegal to lie on application forms to the banks. They have more power over you than is comfortable when it comes to blacklisting your credit rating which will have a negative your life for years to come.

Do the right think and seek help and advice on your situation rather than try and fooling a bank into lending you money you probably don't want to borrow.
Original post by ByEeek
It feels like you are being a little hasty. You are barely half way through your second year. It you are scratching around for money now, what is it going to be like in a couple of months when you have bottomed out overdraft number 2? Or next year?

Go and see the welfare officer in your union. They may be able to help with financial planning and also hardship funds that can get you out of the immediate problem.

It is worth pointing out that it is illegal to lie on application forms to the banks. They have more power over you than is comfortable when it comes to blacklisting your credit rating which will have a negative your life for years to come.

Do the right think and seek help and advice on your situation rather than try and fooling a bank into lending you money you probably don't want to borrow.

There is no such thing as blacklisting your credit rating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed. But I don't think the county court judgements against you for fraud or misrepresentation or whatever the charge is for falsifying documents would go in your favour when trying to get credit in the future.

Just don't lie to your bank. They have ways and means of catching you out and the penalties against you can be pretty draconian without much redress. It is just not worth it.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. But I don't think the county court judgements against you for fraud or misrepresentation or whatever the charge is for falsifying documents would go in your favour when trying to get credit in the future.

Just don't lie to your bank. They have ways and means of catching you out and the penalties against you can be pretty draconian without much redress. It is just not worth it.

Yea that simply doesn't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending