The Student Room Group

Do americans talk loud for attention?

I just came out of the uni shop where there were American expats talking extremely loud. It was quiet and everyone could hear exactly what they were saying.

This is not the first time I have witnessed this here on campus.

Are they doing it for attention or just trying to be annoying? It's really, REALLY irritating!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah they are so annoying. Especially American women with that horrible nasally screeching voice
Reply 2
Yeah it just comes across as really arrogant. Novody cares what they are talking about seriously.
Reply 3
I'm american and it depends
*flies away*
Lol no.. It's just a natural thing. In the US quite a lot are overly friendly (not necessarily a bad thing) so they talk quite loudly. But they're not trying to be annoying. It's just a cultural thing (e.g. like the way British love hyperbole)
I'm American and have lived in Britain for the past 9 years. I've come across extremely loud Brits on a daily basis. I think it depends on the person not necessarily the nationality :colondollar:
I've noticed this as well. I've also noticed that people from around Birmingham talk very loud too. They just aren't as civilised as us Southerners.
Reply 7
Well most Americans are really nice but alot of them do talk incessantly loud so much that I can hear them a mile away literally.
Original post by Boondock Saint
I've noticed this as well. I've also noticed that people from around Birmingham talk very loud too. They just aren't as civilised as us Southerners.

Plus they just sound dreadful too.
Reply 9
Original post by LinnyPinny77
I'm American and have lived in Britain for the past 9 years. I've come across extremely loud Brits on a daily basis. I think it depends on the person not necessarily the nationality :colondollar:

Where do you live?
Don't even get me started on what I think of American culture and typical American mannerisms.

It's a country based on capitalism and competition, I would have expected to love it, but I just can't stand them. I was once accused of making fun of their accents by this dumb ****ing bimbo, I often say 'ja/yah' as in yeah and this is natural, she went mental and started accusing me of racism, she was a ****ing white girl like how can I be racist to you? Ignorant hick.

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Plus they just sound dreadful too.
They sound really warm and friendly to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Student403
Lol no.. It's just a natural thing. In the US quite a lot are overly friendly (not necessarily a bad thing) so they talk quite loudly. But they're not trying to be annoying. It's just a cultural thing (e.g. like the way British love hyperbole)

Ok it just seems sometimes like they're extremely loud almost shouting and I always wonder if they are doing it for attention.
Original post by Frostyjoe
Ok it just seems sometimes like they're extremely loud almost shouting and I always wonder if they are doing it for attention.

I understand it's annoying haha - whenever I go back it takes me a while to get used to. They aren't though :')
Reply 13
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
she went mental and started accusing me of racism, she was a ****ing white girl like how can I be racist to you? Ignorant hick.

A lot of women in America are lunatic feminists
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal

They sound really warm and friendly to me.

I mainly meant the Brummie accent.

Gives me nightmares.
Reply 15
Original post by Student403
I understand it's annoying haha - whenever I go back it takes me a while to get used to. They aren't though :')

Yeah, I was in Virginia in August and I found the same thing. Now i'm back again, I forgot how loud they are!
Original post by zigglr
A lot of women in America are lunatic feminists

It's pathetic, American culture seems to be a competition to see who can have the biggest sob story, so you end up with affluent, white women who genuinely think they're persecuted, can't stand it.

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I mainly meant the Brummie accent.Gives me nightmares.

I know, it actually sounds very kind to me, even though I sound nothing like them,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
Where do you live?

I live in Brighton so in London often. I lived in Edinburgh for uni (UoE) for five years as well.
Do British people not brush their teeth for attention?
See, it goes both ways.
Reply 19
Original post by elizah
Do British people not brush their teeth for attention?
See, it goes both ways.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9437veVov1rnrp27.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest