The Student Room Group

Approaching Girls - guide for guys written by girls

Most of you guys out there are terrible when it comes to approaching us so here are tips. @SallyMae has thoughts on this and I am sure she can add something. TSR, can you make this an article?

1. Eye game - if you catch out eye and smile, if smile back we want you to talk. If we did not want to talk we would quickly look away or not smile. If you hold the gaze and she looks back, we really want you to talk. Even you introverts can do this one. Come on!

2. Signs to not speak - headphones, constantly on phone, constantly looking away. She probably has a boyfriend.

3. Approach - smile, then say hello. Ask about something on TV like The Apprentice. From this point a conversation is very likely and easy. When you need to go ask for our number. If we spend our day talking to you we are going to give you our number. We wouldn't both speak to you otherwise.

GIRLS ADD TO THIS! Let's help these poor, introverted, inexperienced guys out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you expand on that and explain to me how I can get her to go to a dark alleyway in the night alone without her getting suspicious?
Don't start talking about sports. Most girls will immediately drop you.
Reply 3
This thread should be re-titled "Approaching girls - a guide for people who lack any knowledge of how basic human interaction works"
To be honest, I would probably look away whether I wanted to talk to them or not, I always listen to music or am constantly on my phone just because it looks less awkward if I'm not talking to anyone anyway, and I hate it when people try to make small talk as I fail at it xD

Then again I'm a really awkward introverted girl :frown: I need a guide...
Original post by Anonymous
To be honest, I would probably look away whether I wanted to talk to them or not, I always listen to music or am constantly on my phone just because it looks less awkward if I'm not talking to anyone anyway, and I hate it when people try to make small talk as I fail at it xD

Then again I'm a really awkward introverted girl :frown: I need a guide...

Join a club of your interest :wink:
Original post by mrssheldoncooper
don't start talking about sports. Most girls will immediately drop you.

but but but sports are life! Nooo :frown: :frown: :frown:
I always smile at people when eye contact is made, it seems like the nice and polite thing to do. It does not necessarily mean I'm interested in that person. Though by all means if they speak to me I won't exactly ignore them.
try to find out if the girl is single, make friends with her friends (most girls love guys that get along with their friends), become her friend first:33
I was expecting a guide not the raw basics.
Reply 10
Original post by Madeline_H95
Most of you guys out there are terrible when it comes to approaching us so here are tips. @SallyMae has thoughts on this and I am sure she can add something. TSR, can you make this an article?

1. Eye game - if you catch out eye and smile, if smile back we want you to talk. If we did not want to talk we would quickly look away or not smile. If you hold the gaze and she looks back, we really want you to talk. Even you introverts can do this one. Come on!

2. Signs to not speak - headphones, constantly on phone, constantly looking away. She probably has a boyfriend.

3. Approach - smile, then say hello. Ask about something on TV like The Apprentice. From this point a conversation is very likely and easy. When you need to go ask for our number. If we spend our day talking to you we are going to give you our number. We wouldn't both speak to you otherwise.

GIRLS ADD TO THIS! Let's help these poor, introverted, inexperienced guys out.

eye game- defo
keep looking up at her- not in a creepy way- by just short glances and smile a lot, not just at her, but find a reason to smile it would make you seem really genuine and nice.
Reply 11
if you catch out eye and smile, if smile back we want you to talk.

This makes my head hurt.
Original post by Sparster
but but but sports are life! Nooo :frown: :frown: :frown:

I'm an exception but many girls dislike sports :tongue:
Original post by shawn_o1
Join a club of your interest :wink:

Have tried, I just end up being the awkward newbie in the corner who's too scared to introduce herself and everyone assumes is too arrogant to talk to people :/
Original post by Vikingninja
I was expecting a guide not the raw basics.

You are the exact person who needs this. There is no such thing as raw basics. Approaching girl (relationship now not for some immoral ONS in a club) there is only 'basic'.
Original post by Anonymous
Have tried, I just end up being the awkward newbie in the corner who's too scared to introduce herself and everyone assumes is too arrogant to talk to people :/

You have to force yourself to talk to people. Fake confidence for a while and eventually it'll come.

That's what I did and I used to have awful anxiety.
Original post by SophieSmall
I always smile at people when eye contact is made, it seems like the nice and polite thing to do. It does not necessarily mean I'm interested in that person. Though by all means if they speak to me I won't exactly ignore them.

I always smile back at people smiling at me.

Then I realise that they were smiling at their friend approaching them from behind me DDD:
Cringe.
Original post by Madeline_H95
You are the exact person who needs this. There is no such thing as raw basics. Approaching girl (relationship now not for some immoral ONS in a club) there is only 'basic'.

Everyone apart from a true shut in should know this stuff.
Original post by Use Err Name
I always smile back at people smiling at me.

Then I realise that they were smiling at their friend approaching them from behind me DDD:

Dem feels man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending