The Student Room Group

I want to go to medical school

Hello all,

I will give a brief explanation of my situation.

I am almost 22 years old, it has really become clear after thinking about it more or less daily for the last few years, I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor.

I left school in 2010, I had a very poor attitude to learning at this time and only left with one GCSE which was in English language. I then went onto study a 2 year diploma in plumbing and heating, towards the end of this 2 years I had slowly grown an interest into healthcare through watching documentary's and reading. I worked odd jobs for a further 2 years, mainly due to a lack of motivation and thinking that I would never be fit to study at degree level.

I have been working in a radiology department in a busy NHS hospital for just under 2 years now, as a clinical assistant. Which I have absolutely thrived on, I love working in the clinical environment! I have been fortunate to see a lot of things in this job which I feel is very good experience and has reinforced my true passion for healthcare.

However I feel that the time has now come, and I am desperate for a challenge and gaining extra responsibility. I would not be able to live with the regret if in 20 years time I had not given my best shot at trying to become a doctor. I am prepared to work long and hard to attempt this ultimate goal.

Now, my main question is .. where do I start?! I am aware of the generic route into medical schools, and understand that experience and various qualifications are required to even apply. If anybody could offer me advice on this matter I would be very grateful, has anyone here attempted medical school as a mature student? Especially starting with zero qualifications.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this!

Many thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
There is so much information in the Medicine forum, that is the best place to begin. Definitely have a look at the 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' thread, there are some articles there which explain how to (and where to) apply if you're a non-standard student.
Original post by Jhb94
Hello all,

I will give a brief explanation of my situation.

I am almost 22 years old, it has really become clear after thinking about it more or less daily for the last few years, I really want to go to medical school and become a doctor.

I left school in 2010, I had a very poor attitude to learning at this time and only left with one GCSE which was in English language. I then went onto study a 2 year diploma in plumbing and heating, towards the end of this 2 years I had slowly grown an interest into healthcare through watching documentary's and reading. I worked odd jobs for a further 2 years, mainly due to a lack of motivation and thinking that I would never be fit to study at degree level.

I have been working in a radiology department in a busy NHS hospital for just under 2 years now, as a clinical assistant. Which I have absolutely thrived on, I love working in the clinical environment! I have been fortunate to see a lot of things in this job which I feel is very good experience and has reinforced my true passion for healthcare.

However I feel that the time has now come, and I am desperate for a challenge and gaining extra responsibility. I would not be able to live with the regret if in 20 years time I had not given my best shot at trying to become a doctor. I am prepared to work long and hard to attempt this ultimate goal.

Now, my main question is .. where do I start?! I am aware of the generic route into medical schools, and understand that experience and various qualifications are required to even apply. If anybody could offer me advice on this matter I would be very grateful, has anyone here attempted medical school as a mature student? Especially starting with zero qualifications.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this!

Many thanks

Firstly it would be good to contact some medical school admissions departments to give yourself an idea of what you need to do 'straight from the horses' mouth'. Also have a look at the requirements for mature students on their websites.

Secondly they'll probably advise that you need to get the GCSE situation sorted out. You generally need at least a B in English, Maths and Science GCSE's as a baseline. Then a level 3 qualification, so A-levels or Access to Medicine (A2M). This is where info from the med school would be invaluable, to see which of the two they prefer. A-levels are 2 years, Access is 1 year. The College of West Anglia in Kings Lynn offer the most widely accepted Access course, so have a look at their A2M course and its requirements. You'll also need to sit the UKCAT and BMAT (for some med schools) in the summer/autumn before you apply and get a good enough grade to be considered. Early practice at this will be invaluable.

It's going to be at least 2 years until you're in a position to apply, so if you're ever able to shadow any other doctors or do any other work experience it'll all add to your application.
Hey :smile:
If I was you do a pre-Access Course which is an equivalent to GCSE Level (Level 2), then look into an Access Program in Science when you finish pre-access. I would apply for a degree like biomedical science as that is most often the degree used if you go and do a post grad in Medicine. Research the universities which you would like to go to and see there entry requirements (see they gcse ones as you may need to do extra on the side of your Access Course).
You could try and go direct to the degree in Medicine but it is very competitive so more likely to get in as a postgraduate!
Also I've applied for Biomedical Science and it's a very varied degree including : toxicology, pharmacology and lots of other medicine based topics so it keeps your options really open. Doing Biomedical also means if you get onto a Medicine degree after you go straight to second year :smile:
Original post by KatieeW123
Hey :smile:
If I was you do a pre-Access Course which is an equivalent to GCSE Level (Level 2), then look into an Access Program in Science when you finish pre-access. I would apply for a degree like biomedical science as that is most often the degree used if you go and do a post grad in Medicine. Research the universities which you would like to go to and see there entry requirements (see they gcse ones as you may need to do extra on the side of your Access Course).
You could try and go direct to the degree in Medicine but it is very competitive so more likely to get in as a postgraduate!
Also I've applied for Biomedical Science and it's a very varied degree including : toxicology, pharmacology and lots of other medicine based topics so it keeps your options really open. Doing Biomedical also means if you get onto a Medicine degree after you go straight to second year :smile:

Hi Katiee, it's great that you're enthusiastic about doing biomedical science, but I'm afraid that it isn't a very good option for OP.

Graduate medicine is INCREDIBLY competitive, much more so than standard-entry undergraduate medicine - instead of 10 applicants to every place, there are 20, lots of whom will have Masters, PhDs, or years of professional experience in the healthcare system. Also, you're graduating potentially with £40,000 extra worth of debt. Finally, the situation for graduate medicine as a course is very precarious: in four years' time, the government might have withdrawn the student loan and NHS funding support currently available, and the GMC might have made changes to the registration requirements for doctors which could make the 4 year courses untenable.

OP, if you start to work now, you could be in a fantastic position to apply for medicine in a couple of years. You might need to sit some GCSEs, and either A levels or an Access to HE course. This gives you a great opportunity to start to build up your current amazing-sounding work experience: shadowing doctors in hospitals and GP practices, doing long-term volunteer work, and maybe even getting professional healthcare experience as a Healthcare Assistant or Phlebotomist (taking bloods). Not only does this look great on a UCAS application, it also helps to clarify if medicine is a career that you want to pursue.

Look at the entry requirements for six year medicine courses: these have a 'foundation year' and are designed for people from non-traditional backgrounds (not 3 As in science A levels) to access medicine. Also, the medical schools really vary in the types of students that they like to see applying; Birmingham, I think, really encourage applications from people with solid healthcare experience like yours. If the medical schools' websites aren't helpful, try dropping them a line on the phone or by email and have a chat about whatever requirements they'd be looking for.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending