The Student Room Group

Help... :(

So I went into the back of a car today :frown: I know it'll go down as my fault, although there's not a lot I could've done.... I've gone just behind a car pulling off at this weird junction roundabout thing, I've seen its clear, seen him going, followed off at a sensible distance, as I've got to the junction line I've looked left again to check. The guys stopped after pulling out as I'm looking left and I've hit the back of him, my right front on his back left... I wasn't accelerating hard or anything, just going into 2nd. Looks like my front bumper as a dent in it and one or 2 clips have popped off, looked like he just had a scrape, hard to see... :/

So what happens now, we exchanged details, said we'd talk once we'd looked at the damage, but how does excess work... My insurance policy says "£600 excess if you make a claim". Will I have to pay up if he makes a claim, I'm not particularly bothered by the dent if it clips back on...

And what will happen with my policy this year and next... I've been driving for 10 months, but only been on my own policy on my own car for just under 2... Will it go up this year or next, will my excess increase...

Feel really sick and worried, I haven't Ben working long so £600 is a stretch atm... :'(
Reply 1
Your excess is £600, which means that if you make a claim you have to pay 600 quid anyway. If I were you I'd see if he were happy with you paying a garage to repair the damage to his car. You'll be out of pocket anyway, and I doubt a light bump like that would be more than £600 to repair on his car. If he's happy to not tell the insurance co, then you'll still pay out of pocket for the repairs, but it'll save you come renewal.
Reply 2
Just to be clear here, the £600 excess is the contribution you would pay if you make the claim on your own insurance for your own damage. Regarding third party damage (the car you hit), insurance companies are obliged to pay out third parties in full. That's what insurance is there for. It's highly likely that the third party's representatives will be contacting your insurance company for all sorts of claims (damage, whiplash etc.) so it's in your interest now to tell your insurance company about the incident if you haven't done so already. You don't have to claim for your own damage if you'd rather sort that privately. Your policy terms and conditions will include a requirement to notify your insurers of all relevant incidents without delay.

You won't have to pay out anything short term, unless you're claiming for repair on your own car. Of course, the collision will now be noted on your record and you'll lose your no claim discount. Your premium at renewal will probably increase, and you'll have to declare this incident at every renewal and quotation for the next few years, whether you claim or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Advisor
Just to be clear here, the £600 excess is the contribution you would pay if you make the claim on your own insurance for your own damage. Regarding third party damage (the car you hit), insurance companies are obliged to pay out third parties in full. That's what insurance is there for. It's highly likely that the third party's representatives will be contacting your insurance company for all sorts of claims (damage, whiplash etc.) so it's in your interest now to tell your insurance company about the incident if you haven't done so already. You don't have to claim for your own damage if you'd rather sort that privately. Your policy terms and conditions will include a requirement to notify your insurers of all relevant incidents without delay.

You won't have to pay out anything short term, unless you're claiming for repair on your own car. Of course, the collision will now be noted on your record and you'll lose your no claim discount. Your premium at renewal will probably increase, and you'll have to declare this incident at every renewal and quotation for the next few years, whether you claim or not.

Thanks a lot :smile: at least I won't have to pay out for his, I couldn't have hit anything more expensive. If I don't make a claim, but this guy makes a claim against my insurance, will I still lose my NCB. I'm looking online and I can't find anything other than "you lose your NCB if you make a claim".
Reply 4
there's not a lot I could've done

this weird junction roundabout thing

seen him going

as I'm looking left and I've hit the back of him

Please God get this person off the road

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending