The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C1/C2 - 18th/25th May 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
Just got 64/75 on a C1 paper (edexcel) is this good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is pretty good on the face of it.

But you need to do more analysis. Did you skip out a whole question? Did you lose all your marks to errors that you would have found if you double checked? Are most of the marks you lost coming from the final parts of a question? etc.
Original post by SuperHuman98
When should I start Solomon papers? im guessing when i get atleast 70/75 in past papers?

Also how do i write my maths on TSR eg. write out surds,fractions?

Wen you've finished learning all the content fully, get every answer in the book mostly correct and get 72/75 on past papers.
To write our surds, fractions use latex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
Nope, they're easier than the standard papers. They're made up of questions which statistically have been the easiest based on exam data for when the paper was sat - the papers still follow the range of questions though, so obviously it's not full of surds! :biggrin:

Oh right lol ok thanks. I might try one next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello. Done Applications on differentiation C2 Edexcel and I am finding it quite hard had to use soloution bank alot :/ (I get the basic understanding of maximum and minimum points, and I am competant at the rest of the C2 Differentiation.) but struggling with this. Would appreciate some advice.

@SeanFM
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hello. Done Applications on differentiation C2 Edexcel and I am finding it quite hard had to use soloution bank alot :/ (I get the basic understanding of maximum and minimum points, and I am competant at the rest of the C2 Differentiation.) but struggling with this. Would appreciate some advice.

@SeanFM

Ah, is your issue picking out bits of information to form equations?

I would say practice the same questions in the textbook without looking at the bank.
Reply 45
Original post by Chittesh14
You don't need 240 UMS at AS Level to get an A* at maths, but it's recommended due to the 80% UMS overall thing.
But, I'd rather you put like 270+ UMS because if u get lower than 90% in C1 and C2 and the optional module, it's very unlikely that you will get 90% in C3 and C4..

You do have to get 240UMS at AS to get an A* at A2 because you are unable to achieve an A* without getting an A at AS (which is logical). Maths is a different subjects to other A*-wise.

The requirements that I put down are the bare minimum and I don't want to confuse the matter for others by putting theoretical percentages/UMS down. Most will just want to see the minimum requirements for an A*.
Original post by jamestg
You do have to get 240UMS at AS to get an A* at A2 because you are unable to achieve an A* without getting an A at AS (which is logical). Maths is a different subjects to other A*-wise.

The requirements that I put down are the bare minimum and I don't want to confuse the matter for others by putting theoretical percentages/UMS down. Most will just want to see the minimum requirements for an A*.

Nah, 80% isn't needed at AS for an A*. Someone with:

C1 - 70
C2 - 70
M1 - 70
C3 - 100
C4 - 100
S1 - 80

Will qualify for an A*, because they have 80% UMS overall and a 90% aggregate across C3 and C4. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by kingaaran
Nah, 80% isn't needed at AS for an A*. Someone with:

C1 - 70
C2 - 70
M1 - 70
C3 - 100
C4 - 100
S1 - 80

Will qualify for an A*, because they have 80% UMS overall and a 90% aggregate across C3 and C4. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so confused :frown: we were given an A-level maths guide from school and they outlined the requirements for an A*, saying you need 240/300 at AS.
Original post by jamestg
I'm so confused :frown: we were given an A-level maths guide from school and they outlined the requirements for an A*, saying you need 240/300 at AS.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1452959708.638448.jpg

240/300 at AS is not a requirement, but 480/600 at A2 is.

You can work out, you don't actually need 240 at AS to get 480 at A2. As long as you get 90% across C3/4 and 480/600 at A2, you can get an A*.

I think schools advise their students to get 240/300 because their logic is probably that, if you can't score 80% at AS, you're likely to find scoring 90% across C3/4 difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

You might want to read Mr M's thread, schools often confuse students but they say it because if you get lower than 80% at AS, it is highly unlikely that you will get 90% at C3 and C4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Just completed my first C1 Solomon paper (paper L). Boy was it harder than normal past papers...

I got 55/75, not too sure how I feel if I'm honest...
Original post by jamestg
Just completed my first C1 Solomon paper (paper L). Boy was it harder than normal past papers...

You need to up your game buddy. I've never done a Solomon paper, so I can't talk. But, I remember you as someone really bright :smile: you have to get full ums for AS.
But, you need to do 4-5 ASAP and average 60-65 unless you get 70+ on normal papers already then it's fine :smile:.
Because, if you think about it - it's January lol nearly February - not long to go.
Have you done C2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamestg

That's decent for a solomon paper. Just go over your mistakes, make sure you understand where you went wrong and it should function as a great learning experience.

55/75 on a solomon paper L in January would leave no doubt in me saying that you're capable for 90+ UMS in May. :smile:
You need to up your game buddy. I've never done a Solomon paper, so I can't talk.
But, you need to do 4-5 ASAP and average 60-65 unless you get 70+ on normal papers already then it's fine :smile:.
Because, if you think about it - it's January lol nearly February - not long to go.
Have you done C2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He does? I would disagree...

From the scores he has posted on here, I think he is a good mathematician for this period in time.
He does? I would disagree...

From the scores he has posted on here, I think he is a good mathematician for this period in time.

I think I edited my post after I remembered him lol.
I know he is, that's what I'm saying but I'm remembering something else which is why I'm saying that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

Do the papers get harder as you progress, like is A the easiest or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
You need to up your game buddy. I've never done a Solomon paper, so I can't talk. But, I remember you as someone really bright :smile: you have to get full ums for AS.
Have you done C2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solomon papers are a different ball game to normal past papers, so I always knew I would score lowly percentage wise. I just wanted to know whether that score is good at this point in time. Honestly I wouldn't bother commenting on Solomon papers and Solomon scores if you've never done them :redface:

I have started C2, nothing too difficult after a bit of practice at home.

That's decent for a solomon paper. Just go over your mistakes, make sure you understand where you went wrong and it should function as a great learning experience.

55/75 on a solomon paper L in January would leave no doubt in me saying that you're capable for 90+ UMS in May. :smile:

I'm currently going through the mistakes and correcting them, luckily it showed where I need to revise before I do any more past papers. Difficult coordinate geometry questions is a big bit I need to go through!

Glad to hear I am in a good position! Just need to improve slightly in the Solomon papers and consistently get 70 in past papers!

Do the papers get harder as you progress, like is A the easiest or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so, they're all harder than past papers so I don't think it really matters. My strategy is to do a Solomon paper for every 3 past papers/practice papers. I don't think it will be beneficial to only ever attempt the most difficult questions months before the exams.
Original post by jamestg
x

I just done Paper L lol... Worst thing I could've ever done. I rushed it too much, completed it in 1 hour. I got 50/75 lol, which questions did you get wrong?
I kind of cheated lol I looked at my book because I thought I forgot something, but I got that question wrong lol....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
I just done Paper L lol... Worst thing I could've ever done. I rushed it too much, completed it in 1 hour. I got 50/75 lol, which questions did you get wrong?
I kind of cheated lol I looked at my book because I thought I forgot something, but I got that question wrong lol....

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you cheat and still get it wrong?! :wink:

I mainly lost marks on 6b, 7b and 10b, you?
Original post by jamestg
How can you cheat and still get it wrong?! :wink:

I mainly lost marks on 6b, 7b and 10b, you?

XD what I meant by cheating is I looked in the textbook to remember a formula lol. But I realised, I didn't have to use the formula for the question and went well off.
I lost:
3 marks on Q3(b)
1 mark on Q5(b)
4 marks on Q6(b)
1 mark on Q7(a)
5 marks on Q7(b)
3 marks on Q8(c)
11 marks in Q10

Q10 I'm confident I could've done. I can say that about every question tbh nearly.
I didn't read the questions hard enough which was my mistake and I didn't interpret some stuff correctly on the graph. I know I can easily get 60+ on these papers.
I'm going to read over Chapter 3-8 in these 2 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending