The Student Room Group

If I don't have a decent career will I be less attractive to men?

If I don't have a good career, will I become more unattractive to men/will they look down on me? I can either go for what I enjoy or go for what pays more/is classed as a professional career but I'm worried I'l be less likely to get a man if I just work in a low paid job.

Scroll to see replies

If you're a layabout who has no aspirations, yeah I wouldn't be interested because you in effect become parasitical. I want to be with somebody who I know is capable of standing on their own two feet and handling themselves so that they aren't reliant on your own money. I'd be more interested in a career minded woman or one who has a job that involves a learnt skillset. I couldn't deal with someone who drifted between jobs. I'd be fine with it in later years but not right off
Reply 2
What do you enjoy? IMO go for that
Your face will add far more attractiveness than your career ever will.
Do what makes you happy. Failing that do what you can stand and pays well. Failing that get paid lots and leave after a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by marco14196
If you're a layabout who has no aspirations, yeah I wouldn't be interested because you in effect become parasitical. I want to be with somebody who I know is capable of standing on their own two feet and handling themselves so that they aren't reliant on your own money. I'd be more interested in a career minded woman or one who has a job that involves a learnt skillset. I couldn't deal with someone who drifted between jobs. I'd be fine with it in later years but not right off

Ok thanks
Let's be honest - Women are more likely to think like that, not men.
Reply 7
Original post by Bealzibub
Your face will add far more attractiveness than your career ever will.

I box though so my face is out of the question, I'd need to rely on wealth lol, I could add makeup but that would be artificial.
Reply 8
If a man looks down on you because of your career he ain't worth sh*t.
Reply 9
don't worry about whether your career will make you attractive to men.
make sure you're in a career that makes you happy and pays for the lifestyle you want.

anyone that judges a potential partner solely based on career/ income is not worth the time of day IMO
Original post by LittleMary
Let's be honest - Women are more likely to think like that, not men.

Women who can't get a good career for themselves or don't want to work maybe, just like some men like to leech of women.
The double standards in here is real.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
If I don't have a good career, will I become more unattractive to men/will they look down on me? I can either go for what I enjoy or go for what pays more/is classed as a professional career but I'm worried I'l be less likely to get a man if I just work in a low paid job.

what????

I don't understand this but who cares anyway if you don't work in a good career? as long as it gives you money
I'm a girl, but here's my two cents. I think people tend to go for someone with similar aspirations to them self. For example, I wouldn't want to date someone who'd been a shop assistant for numerous years with no real desire to progress. They'd have to demonstrate a desire to move up to managerial positions. I'm quite ambitious so I want to be with someone who is as aspirational as myself.

My boyfriend feels the same, he wouldn't want to date someone who isn't ambitious. So to answer your question, I don't think what type of job you have is important I think it's more to do with how aspirational you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
idgaf what a girl does for a living as long as she ain't no drug mule or prostitute
Reply 15
I think most guys will be the opposite of what you're afraid of. They'll be more attracted to you if you have a good job, not less. It isn't the job itself that matters to us, it's that we're likely to fnd it a try n to be with someone who's clever, ambitious and focused. FWIW my girlfriend is studying law and will become a barrister. She's likely to earn a lot more than me in later life, which rocks.
Reply 16
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I'm a girl, but here's my two cents. I think people tend to go for someone with similar aspirations to them self. For example, I wouldn't want to date someone who'd been a shop assistant for numerous years with no real desire to progress. They'd have to demonstrate a desire to move up to managerial positions. I'm quite ambitious so I want to be with someone who is as aspirational as myself.

This is how women think, not men. Many/most guys wouldnt have a problem dating a shop assistant as long as she was attractive, fun, cheerful, relatively intelligent, etc.
Reply 17
Original post by Mark19
I FWIW my girlfriend is studying law and will become a barrister. She's likely to earn a lot more than me in later life, which rocks.

Well, the long term problem with that sort of relationship is that after having children, a lot of women will want to either quit their job, or go part time. If their partner doesnt earn enough to support the lifestyle they were used to living, then it can cause serious problems. A woman earning £100k+ a year is probably not going to be happy living on the sort of lifestyle a partner earning £30k can provide, which means she will have to continue working full-time, which can cause resentment (depending on the person)

I mean if youre just dating causally and dont care about a family then it doesnt matter of course, but its the sort of thing that often screws people up later on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poohat
This is how women think, not men. Many/most guys wouldnt have a problem dating a shop assistant as long as she was attractive, fun, cheerful, relatively intelligent, etc.

Im female and would date a make who was a shop assistant and had those nice characteristics. In my family all the females have earned more than the husbands id imagine its the same in lots of families, why the gender stereotype.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending