The Student Room Group

Help

I'm aiming for A's in most subjects, but no matter how much revision or practice papers I do I'm always a around 2-5 marks away from an A in maths and Science. What can I do to improve?
Original post by CCGI
I'm aiming for A's in most subjects, but no matter how much revision or practice papers I do I'm always a around 2-5 marks away from an A in maths and Science. What can I do to improve?

What methods of revision are you currently using? Maybe these methods might not be helping you.
Reply 2
Original post by _I_
What methods of revision are you currently using? Maybe these methods might not be helping you.

For science I go through the chapters in the revision guide and make notes, when I've done all of that I make shorter notes from the originals, then I write out about 100 questions for each chapter and make sure I know the answers and if not I look back and re revise that section. Then I make mindmaps for each sub topic, go through the questions again and finally do some past papers. In maths I do a lot of past papers. Its not that I dont know the info its applying the knowledge eughh
Original post by CCGI
For science I go through the chapters in the revision guide and make notes, when I've done all of that I make shorter notes from the originals, then I write out about 100 questions for each chapter and make sure I know the answers and if not I look back and re revise that section. Then I make mindmaps for each sub topic, go through the questions again and finally do some past papers. In maths I do a lot of past papers. Its not that I dont know the info its applying the knowledge eughh

I think writing out 100 questions for yourself for science is really time consuming, you could find questions online and answer them instead.

Let me tell you how I revised for science and maths GCSE. So for science I used to find that apart from writing out and summarising the text book in my own words, I used to talk to myself about each individual thing in there using the notes I made myself. If I couldn't be able to explain this to myself then I would edit what I just wrote about it. Then I used to record myself talking about everything as I went along and when I used to be travelling to somewhere I would listen to myself and try to remember what will be said next rather than just listening. After I knew all the content I used to answer exam questions, I did this continuously till the day of my exam for each module.

For maths I pretty much done only one thing and thats past papers, you're probably tired of hearing it but honestly I don't think there's anything as effective as that. But make sure you know how to do things before you jump into past papers. So if you have a text book or you can just look online at the specification - just flick through each section and see if you knew how to do it. For instance if you see the title for one section of the book saying "Area of a Trapezium" and you see a trapezium there and labelled with the letters a, b and h, you should constantly be thinking what is the next thing the book will say. So you will think that they've already given these labels on a trapezium let me use this to try and remember what the formula is for the area of a trapezium and you'll remember its (a+b)/h. After you have covered almost everything and you are confident then do past papers. I understand you say that you know the information you need to know but I think constantly practising mathematics skills should help you.

Also I found that getting post-it notes and writing down something I didn't know and sticking this on my bedroom wall really helped me. Because every night before I fell asleep I used to read everything on my wall.

Generally speaking I think you should consider using other revision methods since these do not seem useful. As you are revising try and learn more about yourself, ask yourself if this revision method is helping you. Also try and keep track of your progress with maths by looking at what mark you are getting in each exam paper, then you will probably be able to analyse your progress more carefully.

I really hope this helped. Feel free to ask more questions. Good luck!
Reply 4
Thank you so much, it really helped!

Quick Reply

Latest