The Student Room Group

Are taxis usually present at Cambridge's train station?

I am travelling to Cambridge next week by train. Will there be taxis waiting? I will arrive at 5 pm.
Reply 1
Yes
Original post by wbvsbsbgg4bw
I am travelling to Cambridge next week by train. Will there be taxis waiting? I will arrive at 5 pm.

Yes there are. Cambridge station is a fair way out of the city centre and traffic in Cambridge is appalling in the rush hour. Don't expect a lot of change from a £20 note.
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes there are. Cambridge station is a fair way out of the city centre and traffic in Cambridge is appalling in the rush hour. Don't expect a lot of change from a £20 note.

Thank you, will that definitely be the case? Do you live in Cambridge? Any taxi companies recommended?
Thank you, will that definitely be the case? Do you live in Cambridge? Any taxi companies recommended?

There are always taxis directly outside, but if you prefer you could call Panther to book a car to make sure that one will be there. They are very reliable and arrive quickly (they say 10-15 mins but they are usually there in under 5), at least from my personal experience.

Rush hour traffic can be an absolute nightmare though, depending on where you need to get to. It's often quicker to walk.

I'm going to guess you're having an interview? If so, good luck, stay calm! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

No I don't live there, I visit.

The front of the station is pretty chaotic. I have never tried telephoning a taxi firm. I have always taken a rank taxi. There are normally plenty of taxis on the rank. The rank is equally chaotic because there is more than one line of taxis and the drivers will direct you to which is the next cab.
Reply 6
Original post by SummerSunshine
There are always taxis directly outside, but if you prefer you could call Panther to book a car to make sure that one will be there. They are very reliable and arrive quickly (they say 10-15 mins but they are usually there in under 5), at least from my personal experience.

Rush hour traffic can be an absolute nightmare though, depending on where you need to get to. It's often quicker to walk.

From the station to Churchill college. Can they not go round the back? Is the bus (no. 4 i believe) advisable.
It's often quicker to walk.

The OP doesn't want to be walking Hills Road to the central colleges with luggage.

Another thing is that Cambridge colleges (more so these days than Oxford) have very anonymous gates. You want a taxi driver who tells you exactly which gatehouse you want to be going in.

If your college is in the town centre, you can walk in 20-30 min from the station.
If you don't want to walk, there's a good city bus service.
But as the other poster said, traffic in rush hour (whch starts around 3:30 because of school runs) is really horrendous, so expect it takes a long time.
From the station to Churchill college. Can they not go round the back? Is the bus (no. 4 i believe) advisable.

Hmm I went to Churchill from very close to the station a few weeks ago, and I think we went through the traffic-y areas.

Cambridge buses are unreliable at best. To be honest, sometimes there isn't actually that much traffic, you might be alright!

Churchill is a bit of a trek. Taxi is probably the best call (unfortunately).
Hmm I went to Churchill from very close to the station a few weeks ago, and I think we went through the traffic-y areas.

Cambridge buses are unreliable at best. To be honest, sometimes there isn't actually that much traffic, you might be alright!

Churchill is a bit of a trek. Taxi is probably the best call (unfortunately).

Does everyone else agree?

Thanks for everyone's contribution.
The OP doesn't want to be walking Hills Road to the central colleges with luggage.

Another thing is that Cambridge colleges (more so these days than Oxford) have very anonymous gates. You want a taxi driver who tells you exactly which gatehouse you want to be going in.

How much luggage are you expecting them to have?! Now that I know they're going to Churchill I'm obviously going to say that walking is a terrible idea, but Emma, Downing and Christs (etc) are pretty close. I used to walk from my college to the station (40 min walk) with luggage all the time with no issues. Granted it's more difficult if you're not 100% sure where you're going!
Does everyone else agree?

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

yes, I'm afraid so.

If your college is in the town centre, you can walk in 20-30 min from the station.
If you don't want to walk, there's a good city bus service.
But as the other poster said, traffic in rush hour (whch starts around 3:30 because of school runs) is really horrendous, so expect it takes a long time.

Edit:
Sorry I missed your post.
To Churchill on foot will be about 40 min I guess.
The taxi doesn't have to go through the centre but can go via Ring road, so traffic is slightly better, but still heavy.
How much luggage are you expecting them to have?! Now that I know they're going to Churchill I'm obviously going to say that walking is a terrible idea, but Emma, Downing and Christs (etc) are pretty close. I used to walk from my college to the station (40 min walk) with luggage all the time with no issues. Granted it's more difficult if you're not 100% sure where you're going!

Your view of pretty close is different to mine!

I appreciate it was raining but I wouldn't have dreamt of walking to the station when I was at Emma a few months ago. It must be a mile and a half.

I appreciate it was raining but I wouldn't have dreamt of walking to the station when I was at Emma a few months ago. It must be a mile and a half.

Ha I had a lot of friends at Homerton- it makes your perspective of Cambridge distance change a lot!! :P

It is reasonably close. Google maps says 1 mile, 20 minute walk between Emma and the station. I'm surprised it is as much as that, actually.

For Churchill, worth getting a taxi IMO.
Yes there are always a plethora of taxis outside the station

Yes you ought to get one

Costs around £6.60 to get from the station to the city centre (that's how much it cost me with relatively little traffic a week or so ago), so probably £15-£20 for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending