The Student Room Group

Is this laptop good for gaming?

I'm getting a new laptop and I would like it to be able to run games like Fallout 4 on at least medium settings. On ebay I saw a laptop which seemed quite cool. Here are its specs:
5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5200U 2.20 / 2.70 Turbo GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX™ 950M 4GB Dedicated Graphics

Screen resolution: 3840x120

1TB HDD+8GB SSHD

16GB memory

I'm wondering if this meets the requirements. Thanks (if you have any recommendations I have a budget of £660)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by blitzchika
I'm getting a new laptop and I would like it to be able to run games like Fallout 4 on at least medium settings. On ebay I saw a laptop which seemed quite cool. Here are its specs:

1TB HDD+8GB SSHD

16GB memory

I'm wondering if this meets the requirements. Thanks (if you have any recommendations I have a budget of £660)

It's actually a good one. 4GB of dedicated memory should take care of sluggishness. Screen resolution is great too. Hard drive is great, RAM is perfect. I believe you should go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Hamoody96
It's actually a good one. 4GB of dedicated memory should take care of sluggishness. Screen resolution is great too. Hard drive is great, RAM is perfect. I believe you should go for it.

Thanks for the reply! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply! :smile:

No problemo, anytime :biggrin:
The graphics card and CPU are pretty piss poor for newer games. You'd do well to get medium settings at little more than 30FPS.
Original post by Neverdie
The graphics card and CPU are pretty piss poor for newer games. You'd do well to get medium settings at little more than 30FPS.

I wouldn't go that far. One thing is for sure though OP, as the game designers push the current gen consoles closer to their limits, you're gonna find that you wish you'd got something a bit better.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I wouldn't go that far.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html

40 FPS at medium, 20 FPS at high.

My point exactly. Saying you wouldn't do much better than 30 at medium (which consoles are generally set at) when the AVERAGE is 40 (so might drop to 30 but will also go as high as about 50 on some less graphically intense parts) was going a bit far. As I said though, you'd need to upgrade again before long so it's probably worth getting something better.
My point exactly. Saying you wouldn't do much better than 30 at medium (which consoles are generally set at) when the AVERAGE is 40 (so might drop to 30 but will also go as high as about 50 on some less graphically intense parts) was going a bit far. As I said though, you'd need to upgrade again before long so it's probably worth getting something better.

Please don't do the keyboard warrior thing.

I said they'd do well to get 30 FPS at medium, not that they wouldn't do much better.

Also you said you wouldn't go that far, as in it was a gross exaggeration, as in they could get better than that considering the criteria they were asking for, not that they could get a little better FPS (a whopping 10) on medium but still not be able to get to high. Enough backpedalling. We're not all omniscient and no one's laughing at you, don't make an argument about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Liking the 4k screen in combination with a graphics card that is nowhere near good enough to run games at 4k resolution. That's novel.
I'm getting a new laptop...

NO

1TB HDD+8GB SSHD

16GB memory

You're not exactly going to be able to play the latest titles at the highest settings but for £660, I think that's pretty excellent value.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Liking the 4k screen in combination with a graphics card that is nowhere near good enough to run games at 4k resolution. That's novel.

Quite a few laptops seem to be doing this recently... was originally going to do something like this but then I realised how pointless it is.
Original post by Zargabaath
NO

Some people don't have a choice :frown:
Original post by Potally_Tissed

Y'know, 4k isn't ONLY for gaming... :redface:
Original post by Plagioclase
Some people don't have a choice :frown:

How does OP not have a choice? Is he homeless or something?
How does OP not have a choice? Is he homeless or something?

Or he might be a student...
Original post by Alexion
Y'know, 4k isn't ONLY for gaming... :redface:

But most programs aren't optimised for 4k which means you can end up with frustratingly small UIs that you literally can't do anything with (e.g. Photoshop is pretty much unusable on a small 3K/4K screen).
(edited 8 years ago)
Or he might be a student...

So? I've never seen student accommodation without a desk in each bedroom. It's also going to be much cheaper to get a desktop with the same spec.
So? I've never seen student accommodation without a desk in each bedroom. It's also going to be much cheaper to get a desktop with the same spec.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that unless you're renting accommodation for 12 months, you're going to be having to drag your desktop between university and home at least once a year, possibly many times a year depending on the university... which isn't exactly easy, if it's a massive gaming rig. Plus, having a desktop at university makes you very inflexible. Being able to take my laptop to lectures and libraries and my department has been incredibly invaluable. As much as I prefer gaming desktops to laptops, getting a desktop for uni would have been a terrible idea for me.
You seem to be forgetting the fact that unless you're renting accommodation for 12 months, you're going to be having to drag your desktop between university and home at least once a year, possibly many times a year depending on the university... which isn't exactly easy

Didn't think about that actually, OP should seriously consider getting a cooling stand if he's definitely going to get a laptop.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Neverdie
Please don't do the keyboard warrior thing.

I said they'd do well to get 30 FPS at medium, not that they wouldn't do much better.

Also you said you wouldn't go that far, as in it was a gross exaggeration, as in they could get better than that considering the criteria they were asking for, not that they could get a little better FPS (a whopping 10) on medium but still not be able to get to high. Enough backpedalling. We're not all omniscient and no one's laughing at you, don't make an argument about it.

Genuinely scratching my head at this post...

There has been nothing argumentative or aggressive about my previous posts, I don't feel. Certainly wasn't intended that way. The OP was asking if the laptop was good enough, I felt you were being a bit harsh on how poor it was - not majorly, just a bit, which I pointed out in my last post. "I wouldn't go that far" implies "you're mostly right, but I wouldn't quite go as far as that". That's it. You seem to have taken offense from those two posts somehow, you don't have to take it personally when someone disagrees with you. Where is your self esteem?
(edited 8 years ago)
Genuinely scratching my head at this post...

There has been nothing argumentative or aggressive about my previous posts, I don't feel. Certainly wasn't intended that way. The OP was asking if the laptop was good enough, I felt you were being a bit harsh on how poor it was - not majorly, just a bit, which I pointed out in my last post. "I wouldn't go that far" implies "you're mostly right, but I wouldn't quite go as far as that". That's it. You seem to have taken offense from those two posts somehow, you don't have to take it personally when someone disagrees with you. Where is your self esteem?

"You seem to have taken offense, don't take it personally. Where is your self esteem?" he said at the end of his paragraph of doom which didn't say anything new but felt nice to type anyway.

I said please DON'T do the keyboard warrior thing, not please go ahead with it haha. Oh you intellectual superior, you.

Quick Reply

Latest