The Student Room Group

Othello help? :)

Hi if anyone has any really good notes for Othello I would be ever so grateful if you could send them my way In particular any high scoring AQA AS essays (to get a feel for what they are structured and set out like as I'm only getting Bs and Cs) and any significant quotations analysed that you may have? But any revision resources would be a great help thanks X
Reply 1
Would be greatly appreciated if anyone had any :smile:
One good point know is the Ao4 band which is the social and historical context surrounding the play. You could mention the racial discrimination and the othering of Othello, demonstrated through the use of language such as 'thick lips' and 'black ram'. There's a lot you can say about it. To find some notes, I just googled attitudes towards black people during Elizabethan England, or anything along those lines.

You could also mention Iago and when he says 'i am not what i am' which is confessing he is not what he appears to be. Even though he lies to Othello throughout the play, at the beginning of the play he openly admits his intentions. How he uses people throughout the play. The difference in language when he talks to Othello and when he's talking to Roderigo.

You could talk about obsession (that's what I'm doing my essay about) and how it consumes him and leads to the death about Othello.

For websites you could check out Spark Notes and GradeSaver, they are pretty helpful.

Hope this helped!
Original post by Danimillie
Hi if anyone has any really good notes for Othello I would be ever so grateful if you could send them my way In particular any high scoring AQA AS essays (to get a feel for what they are structured and set out like as I'm only getting Bs and Cs) and any significant quotations analysed that you may have? But any revision resources would be a great help thanks X

English isn't the sort of subject that you can copy someone's exam/essay technique and replicate yourself.

You need to find out how you write and how that works for you.

No one is going to analyse the whole play for you. You picked this subject, so it's your responsibility to do it.

If you need general help, then I'm sure your teacher would be willing to help you. I mean, that's what they are there for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending