The Student Room Group

Game Ideas for someone moving to PC

Hi Guys,

Just sold my PS4 as replaced with a Home Theater PC, was sick of the ****e UI on PS4 and need some game ideas from Steam? Will definitley be picking up Bo3 in the sale but stuck after that

Not very good with a Keyboard & Mouse so will be using a controller (Not sure which one yet, Most likely a X1)

Thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Just whack in a wired Xbox 360 controller,works flawlessly with the majority of games with matching HUD :smile: Quite interested in the new Steam Controller, that said.
Doom
Freelancer
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
SimCity 2000
Knights of the Old Republic II
Halo
World of Warcraft
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Counter-Strike
League of Legends
Diablo II
Black & White
Half-Life
Sensible World of Soccer
Quake

There are hundreds of thousands of games on PC and 7 billion individual brains that like different things, you might wanna narrow it down a bit.
Reply 3
I'd recommend getting use to a mouse and keyboard. You'll be at a disadvantage in a lot of games otherwise.

To build up your library, this is what I recommend:
Arma III
CS GO
Civ 5
Bioshock infinite
G mod
Dirt 3
BF4
UT4 (free)
War thunder (free)
TF2 (free)
LOL (free)

If you buy your games in the steam sales or on allkeyshop.com you'll save some $$$. Also, if you make an origin account, they give away a new game once a month ish.
Reply 4
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just whack in a wired Xbox 360 controller,works flawlessly with the majority of games with matching HUD :smile: Quite interested in the new Steam Controller, that said.

Seems a little odd to me, not sure I like the Joystick replacements. Will most likely end up with a Xbox controller
Reply 5
Original post by Neverdie
Doom
Freelancer
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
SimCity 2000
Knights of the Old Republic II
Halo
World of Warcraft
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Counter-Strike
League of Legends
Diablo II
Black & White
Half-Life
Sensible World of Soccer
Quake

There are hundreds of thousands of games on PC and 7 billion individual brains that like different things, you might wanna narrow it down a bit.

Fair point, Quite into the action / Racing / Simulator stuff, Been dabbling at the FP Shooters lately too
Reply 7
Looks like you like shooters.

So get the normal games you love/loved on console to PC, (including Fallout and COD Blops 3)

As for other personal preferences. It's up to you, although I do recommend

Arma 3
TF2
Portal 2
H1Z1/DayZ
CS:GO
Minecraft
Unturned
GMod
GTA V
Dead Realm
CS:GO is the one

I think you should just start on the keyboard/mouse to be honest, it will be better if you just start off terrible, instead of changing when your comfortable, it's also not that much harder anyway.
Reply 9
League of Legends, once you get good at it.
Plants vs Zombies Garden warfare :tongue:
If you want to have a hope in hell of competing against other players in FPS', get used to mouse and keyboard - PC versions don't come with the implied aim-assist that you get in every console version.

Other than that, I'd say start of with games which can't be bought as console versions.

Just a few examples:

Arma 3
Insurgency
Elite: Dangerous
Assetto Corsa
Let's stop using words like 'competing'/'competitive'.

It's more accurate to say you're gonna have less fun playing a multiplayer shooter with a controller than a keyboard and mouse, because dying a lot is not fun. And multiplayer games these days have that *******s where new players get all the crap guns and the guys with loads of experience of the game get the best ones. Sounds logical.
Gmod. If you can find a good server on a gamemode like TTT you will probably only play this. If you are looking for new games (this one isn't on steam) don't get the new battlefront.
Guild Wars 2 HoT
Guild Wars 2 HoT
Guild Wars 2 HoT
Guild Wars 2 HoT
Guild Wars 2 HoT
Original post by ozzyoscy
Let's stop using words like 'competing'/'competitive'.

Nope, because its accurate in this case, and always will be.
Original post by iainvg
Nope, because its accurate in this case, and always will be.

It's fine if that's your thing, but it's usually due to underlying personal concerns, and it's certainly a problem when these "competitive" people who "work" at games believe others should do the same, which just leads to pity from others, which then leads to increased defensiveness on the part of the self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer".
Original post by Ryanx623
Hi Guys,

Just sold my PS4 as replaced with a Home Theater PC, was sick of the ****e UI on PS4 and need some game ideas from Steam? Will definitley be picking up Bo3 in the sale but stuck after that

Not very good with a Keyboard & Mouse so will be using a controller (Not sure which one yet, Most likely a X1)

Thanks guys

Are you a fan on RPG games? If so, I would consider getting The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, warning though, you're going to lose a lot of time to this game haha XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by ozzyoscy
It's fine if that's your thing, but it's usually due to underlying personal concerns, and it's certainly a problem when these "competitive" people who "work" at games believe others should do the same, which just leads to pity from others, which then leads to increased defensiveness on the part of the self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer".

What's your problem?

In competitive games(i.e. pvp games), you will be at a disadvantage to other players and therefor, it's almost certainly going to be less enjoyable. It's got nothing to do with being a hardcore gamer.
Original post by york_wbu
What's your problem?

In competitive games(i.e. pvp games), you will be at a disadvantage to other players and therefor, it's almost certainly going to be less enjoyable. It's got nothing to do with being a hardcore gamer.

You're repeating exactly what I said, so I don't know what you think my problem is.

Quick Reply