The Student Room Group

Three people shot dead outside abortion clinic in the USA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tc2802
Several Ko things.
First of all, you're right in saying that contraception should be factored in - if a pregnancy is due to irresponsibility, I think it would be right for there to be more obstacles on the way to abortion.
However.
Abortion isn't just taking away an irksome problem, and statistics show that more often than not, abortions actually take place because of reasons other than irresponsibility - medical risk for the infant or mother, death of the foetus in the womb, problems linked to maternity leave (single women who risk being fired out of illegal discrimination if they ask for the leave)... And many others, that actually factor in PREGNANCY, during which you obviously can't pass it on to someone else.
Do you read Freud? Ever heard of Francoise Dolto? Pregnancy and the first few minutes of a child's life have a gigantic impact on babies. So what do you think happens if a woman doesn't love the baby in her uterus still has to carry it for nine months because she doesn't have the option of abortion? Psychologically, the baby could be scarred for life, let's not even mention the women who have to go through delivery for nothing.
Fourthly, feminism means rights to everything, responsibility for nothing and inequality to anyone else? What have you been reading? You're justifying "pro-life" terrorist extremism by blaming women and then you want to talk about feminism? Ok, let's. Like every other movement, feminism has its extremists. They're actually womenists. Yeah, have you ever noticed that? It's not womenism, it's femism. It stands up for femininity, which applies to everyone - even you. To quote Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's fantastic TED talk, feminism is "admitting that there is a problem with gender today, and committing to fixing it". Not just women, not just men, not just positive rights (women usually get lesser peison time than men for the same crimes; this is obviously unfair).
Fifthly... You say you're not justifying the murders but you're victim-blaming. That's justifying a murder.

Over 90% of abortions are medically unjustified.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Looking at OP's posts, he seems almost happy a Christian went on the rampage.

I imagine him

*hears there's been a gun attack*

*ears prick up, turns up the news*

'It's in America, oohh, ooooohhhhhh' :curious:

News reporter: '...at an abortion clinic'

*a faint smile begins to appear on OP's face*

News reporter: '...right wing christian...'

OP: :party: :woo: :teeth:

Grow up kid.
The points a valid one. When a muslims shoots dead people for holding different beliefs we call it terrorism. When a white, christian does the same, we don't.
Original post by Bornblue
Grow up kid.
The points a valid one. When a muslims shoots dead people for holding different beliefs we call it terrorism. When a white, christian does the same, we don't.

Knew it

You don't give a **** about the people who died, don't get me wrong, when right wing people who hate immigrants make threads on Islamic terrorism, it's obvious they don't actually care about the victims so much as they care about a racist agenda, but you are basically the same as them. Enjoy your celebration at people dying :smile:
Knew it

You don't give a **** about the people who died, don't get me wrong, when right wing people who hate immigrants make threads on Islamic terrorism, it's obvious they don't actually care about the victims so much as they care about a racist agenda, but you are basically the same as them. Enjoy your celebration at people dying :smile:

Of course I do. What I'm angry about is the lack of response to an issue like this compared to the lack of response when a muslim kills people.

Do explain how this is racist? It's pointing out the huge double standards.

This was a terrorist attack, but the media won't call it that.
Of course I do. What I'm angry about is the lack of response to an issue like this compared to the lack of response when a muslim kills people.

Do explain how this is racist? It's pointing out the huge double standards.

I feel you are the moral equivalent of right wing trolls who post about Islamic terrorism because they want to push an anti-immigration narration, I don't think you're literally racist.
I feel you are the moral equivalent of right wing trolls who post about Islamic terrorism because they want to push an anti-immigration narration, I don't think you're literally racist.

Well no. The right wing trolls do it to push forward their racism.
I do it to highlight their double standards.

But stop sidetracking.
Explain to me why this isn't being called a terrorist attack by the media?
Poor comparison and the logic doesn't follow.
That's entirely subjective, based on preference and opinion.

'Pro Life' people are right wing. That's a fact. It's a right wing position, it's a socially conservative position which is by definition right wing.

This was an attack carried out by right wing people, killing people because of their own social beliefs.

Pro life tend to be across the political spectrum.

As a whole, Catholics tend to be pro life.....yet tend to be on the left of the political spectrum.

Some pro life activists are right wing on the political spectrum.
Some pro life activists are left wing on the political spectrum.
Most pro life activists don't advocate violence.
Some pro life activists advocate violence.

Where are the political spectrum do you think animal rights activists who maim and kill are?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Pro life tend to be across the political spectrum.

As a whole, Catholics tend to be pro life.....yet tend to be on the left of the political spectrum.

Some pro life activists are right wing on the political spectrum.
Some pro life activists are left wing on the political spectrum.
Most pro life activists don't advocate violence.
Some pro life activists advocate violence.

Where are the political spectrum do you think animal rights activists who maim and kill are?

We're not talking about animal rights activists. We're talking about pro-life. Yes there may be a few accross the spectrum but the vast, vast majority are right wing. Because it's a socially conservative position. Social conservatism = right wing.
Original post by Hibzish
its only terrorism if a muslim done it, get your facts right

IRA...
Reply 69
We're not talking about animal rights activists. We're talking about pro-life. Yes there may be a few accross the spectrum but the vast, vast majority are right wing. Because it's a socially conservative position. Social conservatism = right wing.

I don't know what you mean by social conservatism in this context, but the idea that a human life has precedence over a woman's feelings seems to me to be a pretty universally acceptable position.

The only real debate is what constitutes a human life. The reason social conservatives are more anti-abortion is because they are more intelligent, humane and responsible. Look at Bristol Palin going through media humiliation instead of having an abortion. Thus they do not rationalise murdering their own children through materialist rationality.

The reason more social liberals are pro-abortion is because they are more emotional, selfish and irresponsible.

But there are certainly social liberals who are anti abortion and social conservatives who are not.

As a side note, the most important question to ask in this debate is: If human life truly matters, then, considering the vast number of childless parents looking for adopted kids, why don't mothers carry their children to term and them give them up for adoption?

The answer, for many social liberals, is that a woman's feelings ("psychological harm") matters more than her child's life. Which would make them deranged murderers.
Original post by 41b
I don't know what you mean by social conservatism in this context, but the idea that a human life has precedence over a woman's feelings seems to me to be a pretty universally acceptable position.

The only real debate is what constitutes a human life. The reason social conservatives are more anti-abortion is because they are more intelligent, humane and responsible. Look at Bristol Palin going through media humiliation instead of having an abortion. Thus they do not rationalise murdering their own children through materialist rationality.

The reason more social liberals are pro-abortion is because they are more emotional, selfish and irresponsible.

But there are certainly social liberals who are anti abortion and social conservatives who are not.

As a side note, the most important question to ask in this debate is: If human life truly matters, then, considering the vast number of childless parents looking for adopted kids, why don't mothers carry their children to term and them give them up for adoption?

The answer, for many social liberals, is that a woman's feelings ("psychological harm") matters more than her child's life. Which would make them deranged murderers.

Considering it's growing inside the woman, it's her choice not yours. It's her body, her decision. No one elses. It doesn't matter what you think she should do, it's her body.

Funny how these 'pro-life' lot carry out shootings outside abortion clinics, oh how very 'pro-life'. Funny how these 'pro-life' lot also support the death penalty. Funny how they support guns, despite how many people they kill.

'Pro-life' is mislabeling. Pro life, until you're born.
Original post by DiddyDec
IRA...

Seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
This was a terrorist attack, it was murdering people for holding different beliefs, yet it won't get called that.
When Dylan Roof shot dead 8 black people in order to start a racial war, he wasn't charged with terrorism.
Seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
This was a terrorist attack, it was murdering people for holding different beliefs, yet it won't get called that.
When Dylan Roof shot dead 8 black people in order to start a racial war, he wasn't charged with terrorism.

So what, why does it need to be labelled a terrorist attack?
Original post by DiddyDec
So what, why does it need to be labelled a terrorist attack?

Because terrorism is more serious than just a normal killing and is charged higher.
Why when Muslims kill people for holding different beliefs it's terrorism but when a Pro-life American does the same is it not?

It needs to be labelled a terrorist attack as otherwise it shows immense double standards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because terrorism is more serious than just a normal killing and is charged higher.
Why when Muslims kill people for holding different beliefs it's terrorism but when a Pro-life American does the same is it not?

What charges he being brought up on?
Reply 75
Considering it's growing inside the woman, it's her choice not yours. It's her body, her decision. No one elses. It doesn't matter what you think she should do, it's her body.

It's not her body. It's someone else's body growing inside her. She has no right over someone else's life.

It ultimately just comes down to what defines 'human'.
Original post by 41b
It's not her body. It's someone else's body growing inside her. She has no right over someone else's life.

It ultimately just comes down to what defines 'human'.

And who's body is it growing inside? Hers. It's in her body, it's her choice.

Tell me, do you agree with the death penalty?
And who's body is it growing inside? Hers. It's in her body, it's her choice.

Tell me, do you agree with the death penalty?

So you are comfortable with the idea that the woman who's body a life grows in gets to decide on whether it decides, not because she makes smart choices but for the simple fact it's 'her choice'. If a woman and a man mess about having sex and gets pregnant, it doesn't matter if the man wants the child, she wants children when she doesn't want to party. Hey, stopping a life because you like Saturday nights too nuchal doesn't matter - it's her choice.

Its like the fact she is the one who carries it goes above and beyond stupid decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
So you are comfortable with the idea that the woman who's body a life grows in gets to decide on whether it decides, not because she makes smart choices but for the simple fact it's 'her choice'. If a woman and a man mess about having sex and gets pregnant, it doesn't matter if the man wants the child, she wants children when she doesn't want to party. Hey, stopping a life because you like Saturday nights too nuchal doesn't matter - it's her choice.

Its like the fact she is the one who carries it goes above and beyond stupid decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am comfortable. Her body, her choice.
By your logic it's wrong to use a condom?
Reply 79
What I don't get is why is this not described as terrorism?
Muslims who kill others for different beliefs are (correctly) labelled terrorists. And so they should be.

But when white/Christian Americans kill others for having different beliefs they are not called terrorists.

The double standards are astonishing.

I am sure if the murderer was brown, he would be classed as a terrorist. Maybe, ISIS should only get white members to kill people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending