The Student Room Group

AEA thread

So I am strongly considering AEA, but by looking at past questions it seems I may have to know all C1-4 knowledge.
The problem is I did C1-3 a year early so have pretty much forgotten all of that.
Also some of the questions I don't know how to start and there doesn't seem to be a revision guide book.
Need help on how to start and how to go about my biz.
Original post by Rkai01
So I am strongly considering AEA, but by looking at past questions it seems I may have to know all C1-4 knowledge.
The problem is I did C1-3 a year early so have pretty much forgotten all of that.Yes, for AEA you will need to be familiar with all of C1-C4.

Also some of the questions I don't know how to start and there doesn't seem to be a revision guide book.
It's the same material as for the A-level, so there's no need for a separate revision guide from the A-level.

The questions are a lot harder however.

If you do a search there are various AEA/STEP prep threads on TSR..
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
Yes, for AEA you will need to be familiar with all of C1-C4.

It's the same material as for the A-level, so there's no need for a separate revision guide from the A-level.

The questions are a lot harder however.

If you do a search there are various AEA/STEP prep threads on TSR..

So are you saying I should read over C1-3 like on Barton revision? It would take a long time going thru all of it in the textbook.
Original post by Rkai01
So are you saying I should read over C1-3 like on Barton revision? It would take a long time going thru all of it in the textbook.
I have no idea what's going to work for you, or what Barton revision is, or whatever.

But you basically need to be truly familiar with all the material. You can do well in the A-level while still having to look things up in the formula booklet etc. but it's much harder to get away with that with the AEA.
Reply 4
Original post by Rkai01

You have until June. That's long enough to cover all of it easily and do questions. As you've already done it, it will be much quicker to pick up things straight away.

I'd suggesting learning topic in a big chunk e.g. all of C1-4 algebra in one go, then all of trig and lastly the differentiation and trig (both would require knowledge of other topics, hence why I said to leave it till last). Attempt questions by topic (found here) as you finish each chapter.

Many videos to help you can be found on YouTube.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rkai01
The problem is I did C1-3 a year early so have pretty much forgotten all of that.

Why do you want to do AEA? Are you aiming to do maths at uni?

Bear in mind that it is an exa,claimed at the top 10% of maths students, so it is meant to be an extension to the standard A-level exams. No reason to try it unless you want to study maths at a very high level.
Reply 6
Original post by shamika
Why do you want to do AEA? Are you aiming to do maths at uni?

Bear in mind that it is an exa,claimed at the top 10% of maths students, so it is meant to be an extension to the standard A-level exams. No reason to try it unless you want to study maths at a very high level.

I do FM as well and yes I'm targeting a major in math, hope that's good enough for your permission 😁
Original post by Rkai01

Tbh, unless your talking about forgetting small formulas in C3(like a few trig formulas) i can't see what one can forget in C1-3? Id just do C3/4 papers as C1/2 lie within them confinements and C1/2 is far too easy too even bother looking through a guide for it.
AEA questions are fun i thought, loved some of the sums/parametrics/graph questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Id just jump ibto C3/4 papers and maybe do madasmaths papers (the ones harder then c3/4 edexcel but easier then aea) then movr onto AEA,then do some of madasmaths harder packs for aea topics etc. Do step aswell might help with the calculus and graphs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Rkai01
I do FM as well and yes I'm targeting a major in math, hope that's good enough for your permission 😁

I wasn't trying to be rude, I just wanted to point out that it's not meant to be an easy exam. If you want to do well on it, you must be willing to put in the effort. I agree with physicsmaths in terms of how to start off your prep. You'll need to re-learn all of C1-C3, but you were going to have to do that for FM (and your degree too). If you've done it once, it should be very quick to get back up to speed again
Reply 10
I'm not really sure how you can 'forget' maths, did you memorise it in the first place?
Original post by Zacken
I'm not really sure how you can 'forget' maths..

Wait 'til you get to my age, young man...:yep:
Reply 12
Original post by Gregorius
Wait 'til you get to my age, young man...:yep:

Pfft! Nonsense, with the things I've seen you do on here... :tongue: :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest