The Student Room Group

What programming language to learn

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Talon
Fortran...just kidding.

I would agree with this. Also, once you have learned one, learning the other is not difficult as they are similar.

I would not start with C or C++. While it would be more impressive, they aren't the easiest to code in which is part of the reason why languages like C# and Java exist. C is quite good for teaching the basics, but beyond that it gets complicated. In year 1 at uni they will start you off with C# or Java - mine used Java.

Whatever you choose, don't make it VB.

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I have already started learning python. Is it ok or should I learn JAVA or C++ instead? Also, can you suggest me really basic programming projects to start off with. I can then work my work through to some advanced ones, hopefully.
Do you mind me asking what university do you go to?
Reply 21
I think C++ the amount of work you have todo to learn oracle is not worth it
Reply 22
Original post by IBIB
I think C++ the amount of work you have todo to learn oracle is not worth it

Okay.
WOuld you like to suggest me a good langauge to start off with that is not too easy (like scratch :tongue:) or too hard.
Thanks!
Reply 23
Original post by Darshan98
Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I have already started learning python. Is it ok or should I learn JAVA or C++ instead? Also, can you suggest me really basic programming projects to start off with. I can then work my work through to some advanced ones, hopefully.
Do you mind me asking what university do you go to?

Well python will probably do the job, but the reason I suggested Java or C# is because you are likely to use one of them in your first year at uni so could save time. I never used python at uni, or ever. I wouldn't start with C++.

I actually learned to program using C. Switching to Java at uni was a nice treat.
Reply 24
I'd go for C++ and JAVA as they're the main ones you'll probably need to use, possibly python too.

Some universities offer computer science with artificial intelligence or engineering so you could do that. Would recommend looking at uni's you'd like and seeing the exact courses and modules for them. Most computer science ones have AI modules but may not have the robotics part to it while engineering may have robotics but not the AI. So research is needed.

If you're learning on your own, you could start with JAVA and try to create a game with enemies which would allow you to work with AI and is more fun than doing random tutorials. You could try using different programs like Greenfoot which makes it pretty simple and then move to Eclipse or similar when you get used to the concept so you don't get too overwhelmed.
Original post by Darshan98
I have already started learning python. Is it ok or should I learn JAVA or C++ instead?

Stick with Python. It's perfect to learn because the syntax is nice and simple so you can focus on learning and practising the programming concepts and you can quite easily write little scripts to get you more comfortable with programming and then move onto object orientated programming. You're able to make nice little command line applications with it, decent enough GUI's and websites with it so it's a great all rounder.

I wish I learnt Python when I was first learning to program.
Reply 26
VB and Python are great to start as a first language, C# and C++ provide a better stepping stone to the industry and uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
VB and Python are great to start as a first language, C# and C++ provide a better stepping stone to the industry and uni

Several uni's are now starting to use Python to teach students and Python is a fairly popular language in industry too, granted it's not extensively used for production code but it's usually there in the backend/testing.
Reply 28
Original post by Push_More_Button
Several uni's are now starting to use Python to teach students and Python is a fairly popular language in industry too, granted it's not extensively used for production code but it's usually there in the backend/testing.

True, I do always forget that bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Andy98
VB ... great to start as a first language,

Get out.
Python!
Reply 31
Original post by Talon
Get out.

Have I said anything incorrect? It is a rather easy language to learn, and by doing so you learn the concepts of programming; thus making it easier to learn the proper languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Andy98
Have I said anything incorrect? It is a rather easy language to learn, and by doing so you learn the concepts of programming; thus making it easier to learn the proper languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, it's a good starting point if you have no previous experience with programming as it's very simple but allows you to get your head around the basic concepts.
Reply 33
Original post by Devify
I agree, it's a good starting point if you have no previous experience with programming as it's very simple but allows you to get your head around the basic concepts.

Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Devify

so will python, except python is more useful, easier to learn, can be used to make robots as thats OP's goal, tones of youtube tutorials, it OOP so same concepts apply to other languages which OP will learn in future. VB is utterly ****e, who even uses it anymore. VB requires visual studio which is very demanding resources wise, compared to idle which is next to notepad, makes life simple.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by bigboateng_
so will python, except python is more useful, easier to learn, can be used to make robots as thats OP's goal, tones of youtube tutorials, it OOP so same concepts apply to other languages which OP will learn in future. VB is utterly ****e, who even uses it anymore. VB requires visual studio which is very demanding resources wise, compared to idle which is next to notepad, makes life simple.

I use Visual studio for everything:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Talon
Well python will probably do the job, but the reason I suggested Java or C# is because you are likely to use one of them in your first year at uni so could save time. I never used python at uni, or ever. I wouldn't start with C++.

I actually learned to program using C. Switching to Java at uni was a nice treat.

I've heard that universities actually dislike this, because you can pick up bad habits when you self-teach.

I'd recommend Python purely because it's easier. Not just that it's easier to learn, but it's also easier to get to a level where you can actually do stuff. With C or Java you'll be learning for months and still making ****ty command line programs, but with Python you'll be able to get into more interesting stuff quite quickly.

It doesn't really matter what language you learn first, because the hard part is learning the concepts, and the same concepts apply across all languages. Once you've learned Python, picking up C, Java or anything else won't be difficult.
Python - > Java / C - > Java / C
Reply 38
Original post by JordanL_
I've heard that universities actually dislike this, because you can pick up bad habits when you self-teach.

Not that I found - they will teach you how they want it done anyway. It is just a real help that you already have an idea of what to do when you get there. You don't need to at professional standard. My performance certainly didn't suffer.

Original post by Devify

I dislike it because it is not a language you would want to use in a real world application. It also means that, if you know VB, there is the danger that you would use it in a real world application, which will then frustrate the hell out of those who have to maintain the code when you are on holiday/fired for incompetence. Yes, that is a scenario that has cropped up!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by bigboateng_

It depends on how OP learns better and how much they know. VB is more visual so it may be easier as a starting step to get your head around. They don't have to spend time getting fluent in it, just like a month playing around to get used to it then move to Python then JAVA or C.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending