The Student Room Group

Nitrogen cycle

Hey! Can anyone help with this question:
Explain the advantage to cattle farmers of encouraging the growth of clover in grasslands
I know it has something to do with the fact that clovers are a leguminous plant but I'm not sure how it relates to cattle?

Thanks!.
Original post by Kiimii
Hey! Can anyone help with this question:
Explain the advantage to cattle farmers of encouraging the growth of clover in grasslands
I know it has something to do with the fact that clovers are a leguminous plant but I'm not sure how it relates to cattle?

Thanks!.

This is how I would answer this question:

Leguminous plants (the clover) have mutualistic bacteria in nodules on their roots which use glucose from the plant to manufacture amino acids. The plant incorporates these amino acids into proteins. This is beneficial to the cattle because they have access to nitrogen-rich compounds in the clover, which they can then use to build amino acids and proteins.

It may help if you read carefully through your revision guide and textbook and remind yourself of the links between the nitrogen cycle and farming :h:
Reply 2
Original post by pineneedles
This is how I would answer this question:

Leguminous plants (the clover) have mutualistic bacteria in nodules on their roots which use glucose from the plant to manufacture amino acids. The plant incorporates these amino acids into proteins. This is beneficial to the cattle because they have access to nitrogen-rich compounds in the clover, which they can then use to build amino acids and proteins.

It may help if you read carefully through your revision guide and textbook and remind yourself of the links between the nitrogen cycle and farming :h:

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending