The Student Room Group

Nation wide protests againsy UK bombing Syria LOBBY YOUR MPS

There are currently nation-wide protests across the UK marching against David Cameron leading us to another war in Syria

Let us not forget what he did in Libiya, which has now led to the country being a haven for terrorist groups.

Cameron bombing Syria will only complicate an already complicated war. It will not make us safer, it will add to the propaganda ISIS use which states it is the west against them, and it will only incite terrorist attacks in retalation against Britain.

How about Saudi Arabia uses all the war planes Britain has just sold them to bomb Syria themselves.

Bombing Syria by itself in addition will do nothing, especially the way Britain plans to do it.

Lobby your MPS against David Cameron leading the UK in Bombing Syria:

Use this simple tool - put in your post code, it will automate a letter, and send to your MP.

http://act.stopwar.org.uk/lobby/stopbombingsyria

We have no control over what the other governments do, but we do control Britain. Let us not forget what he did in Libiya.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

This is not PACAFISM. This is not about pacafism. No-one denies something needs to be done in Syria, but the truth is, simply going ahead and throwing bombs over it in-itself will not make britain any safer.

Yes, we can do many things.

1. Do what Jeremy asked - weed out the people funding and buying ISIS oil - such as (possibly) Turkey A NATO member , we ought not to turn a blind eye.
2. Look at our dictatorship allies in the middle-east supporting radical groups.

Syria is a very small country, with enough groups bombing over it. It will not help if another western country went in and bombed it, it would make it look like a 'crusade' of britain and america verses them, and only seek to indoctrinate more.

They don't need an excuse to attack us, i know, but these savages themselves are brainwashed, and acts like this can push someone to commit terrorist acts. It does not justify the barbaric act they commit, but it is beyond fact is acts are a driving force to brainwash and drive already insane or deluded invidiuals to commit terrorist acts. Ironically britain will be in even more threat of an attack because of this.

Even those in support of a military war against ISIS agree simply bombing them from the air is not going to be enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Corbyn's approach is well intentioned, but utter balls and will do nothing except make them stronger. Pacifism is not an answer.
I thought you're a Shia

You should be absolutely crapping your panties at the thought of Islamic State taking over Syria.
I 100% support bombing the **** out of these savages in Syria and Iraq

these people will hate us regardless.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal

I don't understand Tawheed. It's not a case of Islam vs the West, generally speaking the Western countries support the Sunni Salafis at the expense of the Shias which is why they were so eager to bomb Assad. It's only now Daesh took it too far, they're starting to do a U-turn.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I don't understand Tawheed. It's not a case of Islam vs the West, generally speaking the Western countries support the Sunni Salafis at the expense of the Shias which is why they were so eager to bomb Assad. It's only now Daesh took it too far, they're starting to do a U-turn.

agreed

but i guess he's like GG in that he's pro-shia but against foreign intervention (even against IS).
Reply 7
I'd rather sign a donation towards the war effort.
Original post by Tawheed
There are currently nation-wide protests across the UK marching against David Cameron leading us to another war in Syria

Let us not forget what he did in Libiya, which has now led to the country being a haven for terrorist groups.

Cameron bombing Syria will only complicate an already complicated war. It will not make us safer, it will add to the propaganda ISIS use which states it is the west against them, and it will only incite terrorist attacks in retalation against Britain.

How about Saudi Arabia uses all the war planes Britain has just sold them to bomb Syria themselves.

Bombing Syria by itself in addition will do nothing, especially the way Britain plans to do it.

Use this simple tool - put in your post code, it will automate a letter, and send to your MP.

We have no control over what the other governments do, but we do control Britain. Let us not forget what he did in Libiya.

Syria is already a haven for terrorist groups, and that was without western intervention. Libya was already in a civil war when we intervened, and would probably still be an insecure terrorist haven even if we hadn't intervened.

We are already bombing ISIS in Iraq, so bombing them in Syria as well isn't going to make us any more of a target than we already are. That's assuming that complete non intervention means ISIS would leave us alone, which I don't believe for one second, and which reminds me of the appeasement policy in the run up to world war 2. Some wars are just and need to be fought.

Saudi Arabia is currently backing Islamist rebels in Syria, and their government's human rights record is just as bad as ISIS, if not worse. There's an argument that they shouldn't be in the anti-ISIS coalition at all.
Original post by Tawheed

Another war? Which previous war has David Cameron led us into in Syria?

I like how you keep saying 'bombing Syria' as if what's being proposed is the indiscriminate bombing of Syria as a whole. The vote is about expanding airstrikes being carried out against the Islamic State to Syria, not Syria generally. Carry on with your disingenuous ranting, though. It's amusing to watch.

The various factions in the anti-Gaddafi camp are what turned Libya into what it is today, not the no-fly zone imposed by Britain and its allies. The minimal intervention beyond that was authorised by the UN, as opposed to the unilateral action on Cameron's part that you seem to think it is.

Most of the intervention was merely imposing a no-fly zone to prevent Gaddafi using his air force to target cities full of civilians -- nice to know that you're opposed to that, like the good little pseudo-humanitarian you are.
(edited 8 years ago)

I second this sentiment. PRSOM.
Reply 11
Original post by Hydeman
I second this sentiment. PRSOM.

Original post by Drewski
Corbyn's approach is well intentioned, but utter balls and will do nothing except make them stronger. Pacifism is not an answer.

There are already enough countries bombing in Syria. If britain were to simply go ahead and begin to throw bombs over syria as well, it would not help the situation.

This is not about pacafism. It is about needing a better approach to deal with the crisis in Syria , and i do not believe Britain bombing it and using Tax payers money into yet another long convuluted, war will be of help.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski

Yes, we can do many things.

1. Do what Jeremy asked - weed out the people funding and buying ISIS oil - such as (possibly) Turkey A NATO member , we ought not to turn a blind eye.
2. Look at our dictatorship allies in the middle-east supporting radical groups.

Syria is a very small country, with enough groups bombing over it. It will not help if another western country went in and bombed it, it would make it look like a 'crusade' of britain and america verses them, and only seek to indoctrinate more.

They don't need an excuse to attack us, i know, but these savages themselves are brainwashed, and acts like this can push someone to commit terrorist acts. It does not justify the barbaric act they commit, but it is beyond fact is acts are a driving force to brainwash and drive already insane or deluded invidiuals to commit terrorist acts. Ironically britain will be in even more threat of an attack because of this.

Even those in support of a military war against ISIS agree simply bombing them from the air is not going to be enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I thought you're a Shia

You should be absolutely crapping your panties at the thought of Islamic State taking over Syria.

Ofcourse i am against ISIS - sunni or shia. But i don't believe Britain getting involved will help solve anything in the long-run.
Original post by Tawheed

I'm making sure my MP ignores people in our constituency saying for us to not bomb Syria.
Original post by Tawheed
There are already enough countries bombing in Syria. If britain were to simply go ahead and begin to throw bombs over syria as well, it would not help the situation.

And what makes you think that? I could just as easily argue the reverse: If Britain were to simply go ahead and begin to throw bombs over Islamic State in Syria in addition to the other countries doing so, it would help the situation tremendously by hastening the destruction of Islamic State-controlled oil facilities and military positions.

This is not about pacafism. It is about needing a better approach to deal with the crisis in Syria , and i do not believe Britain bombing it and using Tax payers money into yet another long convuluted, war will be of help.

Go ahead -- educate me about this 'better approach.' If it's anything like what the Green Party is coming out with, I'll go get my bull**** repellent spray.
Reply 16
Looks like some people never learn......
Original post by Tawheed
Ofcourse i am against ISIS - sunni or shia. But i don't believe Britain getting involved will help solve anything in the long-run.

So what do you suggest?

Leave it and it will get better by itself can't be your answer to everything.
Reply 18
So what do you suggest?

Leave it and it will get better by itself can't be your answer to everything.

I believe i had never at any point stated we sit by and do nothing. No-one with a sane mind could suggest this.

However, in Syria, we have a complicated war, with complicated dynamics. It is a country with a small population, and is already being bombed by a number of countries.

We need to:

1. Look into which country is complicit with ISIS selling its Oil to them.
2. Look into our dictatorship allies in the middle-east supplying radical groups in syria.
3. Form some sort of truce, as John Kerry stated , and while i dislike the man, in his own words this could be weeks away from the 'moderates' and the syrian government.
4. Bombing Syria, especially from a western government will give them fodder to say 'it's the west against us'. It will bolster their barbaric intepretation of Jihad, and you can expect terrorist attacks on Britain in retaliation.
5. The countries already in Syria have the power and potential to bomb the whole of syria in an hour, but they are doing it in a measured (albeit haphazard way)
6. Why doesn't Saudi arabia take part more, using the tens of hundreds of war planes we have sold to them ?
They're going to attack us regardless, so why not attempt to rid the world of a few ISIS members? I'm not saying 'yay lets kill people', I'm saying lets at least make an effort in trying to rid the world of them before they rid the world of us! We can't just ignore ISIS and hope they go away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending