The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Colllliiinnnngggwoood!!!

Whooooooooo! Well excited, i just got offered a conditional at COLLINGWOOD to do Law!!

Ok, i really like Nottingham too- dillemma!

What's collingwood like?
Typical day for a law student there?
Are there any law students there?
Can i do drama there?
whats the social life like? Do they have a bar?

I will probably find out at the open day, but im sooooooooo exxxxcccciiiiittteeeddddddd!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Someone else will give you a far superior answer as i have only been there 4/5times, but...from what i can gather...

Collingwood is very nicely structured. Cool bar, pizza shop, student shop, nice accomodation.

Drama - the collingwood drama/musical society thing is very active and stages loads of performances a year, of which the last one i went to was actually very good.

Law - not a clue im afraid!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Pickles88
Whooooooooo! Well excited, i just got offered a conditional at COLLINGWOOD to do Law!!

What's collingwood like?
Can i do drama there?

I will probably find out at the open day, but im sooooooooo exxxxcccciiiiittteeeddddddd!!!!!

Obviously I'm not there yet, but the bar is good, decent sized and the beer is exceedingly cheap. Or WKD, or some other assorted disgusting drink that you might drink rather than beer. Good times in the bar at the open day. The JCR is nice and spacious, and the facilities at the college itself are good. It has a Pizza Shop! (Important for late night munchies after a night out).

And it's a nice place, the rooms aren't too small- not the largest I've ever seen, but certainly big enough, and the bed was much more comfortable than I expected! Way nicer than some of the other student digs I've stayed in at other universities with mates.

And Collingwood isn't too stuffy and informal. It seemed really laid back and relaxed to me, just a nice place to live. And it's a big college in a small area, which gives it an intimate feel.

I should add that Collingwood is a while away from the Law Building, but it's not that terrible, and they way I look at it, it provides valuable exercise.

And Durham itself is way nicer than Nottingham! Plus you won't get shot there. And you know that Durham is better than Nottingham for law (I'm not biased in the slightest). You gotta go to Durham!
Reply 3
Pickles88

The Open Days were a few weeks ago :p:
Reply 4
Collingwood guys are mostly ******s.

ONLY JOKING!
Reply 5
AdamTJ

And Durham itself is way nicer than Nottingham! Plus you won't get shot there. And you know that Durham is better than Nottingham for law (I'm not biased in the slightest). You gotta go to Durham!

Ditto, easy choice :p:
Reply 6
AdamTJ
Obviously I'm not there yet, but the bar is good, decent sized and the beer is exceedingly cheap. Or WKD, or some other assorted disgusting drink that you might drink rather than beer. Good times in the bar at the open day. The JCR is nice and spacious, and the facilities at the college itself are good. It has a Pizza Shop! (Important for late night munchies after a night out).

And it's a nice place, the rooms aren't too small- not the largest I've ever seen, but certainly big enough, and the bed was much more comfortable than I expected! Way nicer than some of the other student digs I've stayed in at other universities with mates.

And Collingwood isn't too stuffy and informal. It seemed really laid back and relaxed to me, just a nice place to live. And it's a big college in a small area, which gives it an intimate feel.

I should add that Collingwood is a while away from the Law Building, but it's not that terrible, and they way I look at it, it provides valuable exercise.

Thanks for all that! Notts is really good for law though!! Well ive never been to durham but im going to go in a few weeks and make a decission! Ooohhhhh its all exciting stuff!

So are you planning on doing law at durham in collingwood?! I may have just found myself a friend! haha!
Reply 7
Durham- top 5 in the country for law. I don't see Nottingham there! :p:

In all honesty, both are very good- Durham edges it but there isn't that much in it.

If you don't like cobbly streets and cities with lots of character then Durham probably isn't for you. The campus at Nottingham is quite nice and is certainly more modern!

But yes I will be going to Collingwood to read law in October and honestly I cannot wait. It's gonna be an absolute blast. Durham may not be known as a "party city" but I believe it's all about who you spend your time with. I got a really good vibe from Collingwood; (I also think that the collegiate system is a really excellent social tool). I just hope freshers week lives up to my expectations!

I say the more lawyers at Collingwood, the merrier- there were a distinct lack of them at the Open Day when I went. (Or maybe people who have ambitions of being a lawyer keep it on the quiet),

And Foxius- I may be a ****** but at least I'm not from Wales! :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 8
I'm sure from the moment you drive into the turning circle you'll be sure you made an excellent choice.
The fresher reps this year made sure loads was happening during freshers week, its your choice how much fun you want to have really :wink:
But I honestly have to say I've had more fun in the second term, even though we've prob gone out less, and thats purely down to the type of people who come to collingwood, its a great community.

Our bar, the Redwood Arms (that is the new name isn't it?), is one of the few college bars thats like a cosy pub, spacious too, unlike others I could name.

Apparently a block a year is renovated, I'm in Lilburn (wooo!) at the mo, which I heard may be redone next year or the one after, but if you end up in the old blocks its not so bad.
We've found that if things get broken they may actually improve the standard of living, e.g. my friend smashed one of the corridor lights (by accident he says) so they replaced the lot of them with brighter nicer looking lights, not that I condone systematically destroying the college...
I'm not sure whether they make it clear when applying, but choosing to share doesn't necessarily mean you'll get an en suite double room. My friends on the floor above are sharing a double, but have to share the showers (or bath) with everyone else. Though if put in the new blocks you'll get en suite, its a gamble really.

About the drama, I'm sure Robbie can tell you a lot more about it at the 'wood and the uni in general, both of which put on very high quality productions.

Though to sound less like I'm getting paid to say all this, I am starting to get pissed off with everything wrapped in red tape (and fines for stupid fickle things, like "wedging firedoors open with knives and folks[sic]", a warning would've sufficed, but they wanted to squeeze money out of us, anyway), but I guess other colleges are the same to some degree. But I wouldn't trade the fun I've had so far for anything in the world (...'cept perhaps a working lightsaber...)

edit: 100 posts in 3 years, I've been busy
Reply 9
Bennus

Our bar, the Redwood Arms (that is the new name isn't it?), is one of the few college bars thats like a cosy pub, spacious too, unlike others I could name.

Though you're not allowed to take drinks out of the bar :rolleyes:
Reply 10
dobbs
Though you're not allowed to take drinks out of the bar :rolleyes:

Out of the JCR. That still includes the coffee shop, JCR shop, pizza/burger/hot dog placemthingy with pool, tablefootball, darts and theres tables outside. Its never been an inconvience for me, but ask me again when its nice enough to lie outside on the meadow. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Bennus
Out of the JCR. That still includes the coffee shop, JCR shop, pizza/burger/hot dog placemthingy with pool, tablefootball, darts and theres tables outside. Its never been an inconvience for me, but ask me again when its nice enough to lie outside on the meadow. :rolleyes:

Have you never wanted to get a drink from the bar to take to your room whilst doing work/watching a movie/chatting with mates/etc? I know I go to the bar in Trevs every other night for a drink :smile:

And yes - we have the back lawn in Trevs which will be sooooooooooo nice to head out to and have a lie down during the summer. Ahhh :smile:
Reply 12
dobbs
Have you never wanted to get a drink from the bar to take to your room whilst doing work/watching a movie/chatting with mates/etc? I know I go to the bar in Trevs every other night for a drink :smile:

Heh, we either don't drink while doing those things, or just grab one of our own from the fridge or crate under the bed sorta thing, personal preference really. :smile:
Pickles88

What's collingwood like?
Can i do drama there?

I'd personally pick Durham over Nottingham but I'm biased. :biggrin:
It's a shame you missed out on the open day but Collingwood really does have a lot to offer. It really is an amazing college.
Come to Collingwood.It's cool...I have met theeeeee coolest people there!

Word of warning though,the food is crap and you will gain half a stone

PS:Just take your drinks out of the bar the non-stair way (ie.out the door by the coffee shop) and then go to your block and enter through the fire escape...that's what I do!Don't tell!
Reply 15
Serious question here- what facilities are there in the kitchen/microwave areas in college?

Does anyone have/get a fridge? Or is it simply just a microwave? It might be nice if I could actually just cook myself occassionally.
Reply 16
The only thing to cook with would be the microwave, unless you count trying to make toast with the kettle (we were desperate).
We've had several toasters between our two floors, they just get confiscated (surprisingly we don't get fined for it), but no, theres no stove or anything. Though I haven't seen the kitchens of the new block.
And theres a fridge in the kitchen for everyone on the floor to use. You can have a mini fridge in your room if its not too big (they give dimensions in the college handbook).
Reply 17
Bennus
The only thing to cook with would be the microwave, unless you count trying to make toast with the kettle (we were desperate).
We've had several toasters between our two floors, they just get confiscated (surprisingly we don't get fined for it), but no, theres no stove or anything. Though I haven't seen the kitchens of the new block.
And theres a fridge in the kitchen for everyone on the floor to use. You can have a mini fridge in your room if its not too big (they give dimensions in the college handbook).

Cheers, that's very helpful, as long as there's a fridge!

Trying to make toast with a kettle? How does that work? Couldn't you hide the toasters in your rooms and take them out at opportune moments?
Reply 18
AdamTJ
Cheers, that's very helpful, as long as there's a fridge!

Trying to make toast with a kettle? How does that work? Couldn't you hide the toasters in your rooms and take them out at opportune moments?

:biggrin: Yeah thats the idea, but everyone wants toast after a night out, and its easy to get careless. The first one we left on the worksurface in the kitchen. It also helps to have nice cleaners who look over the fact that its quite obvious the blanket of crumbs came from a toasting sesh.

For the kettle-turned-toaster we were trying to heat up a metal plate with the steam. It really didn't work. It was worth a try though, a few of us are scientists so if theres a slight chance it'll do something, we'll try it.
Reply 19
Foxius
Collingwood guys are mostly ******s.

ONLY JOKING!
You don't like guys, you're a boy!!

Latest

Trending

Trending