The Student Room Group

Am I being too sensitive or am I right to be offended?

Someone on one of my social media friends list (all the way back from secondary school who I hardly ever spoke to back then, but still) and their uni mates had a "Council Estate / Country Estate" fancy dress party. You can guess how people were dressed, with the usual Burberry hats and tracksuits, someone even turned up in a cardboard box with a highrise drawn on the front.

To clarify it's the "council estate" part that upset me, since I live on one. I've seen other parties like this go down with the dress code being to dress like a "chav". The subtle suggestion in this case is that everyone on a council estate is to be mocked.
Reply 1
Id say you have a right to be upset by the stereotype everyone's openly displaying, but i feel as though you should just ignore it/brush it off.
As goes for the secondary school friend of yours, i doubt s/hes aware that you live in a council estate and you would feel offended. S/he probably just invited loads of random people from their friends list. So dont feel as if inviting you is an attack on youpersonally.
We all learn to live with stereotypes, but they are hurtful, so youre not being too sensitive, youre only being human.
You could always tell the person your opinion, but to be fair, i doubt he cares and will probably continue going, considering you barely know each other.
Id just say brush it off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I actually laughed, thank you sir enjoy your day
Reply 3
Wait am i being trolled.
The feel when you genuinely want to help but it turns out to be a troll. :C
Why is this post most recent but it says OP posted at 1970!?!
Original post by Zahid~
Wait am i being trolled.

because it's anonymous; that's the default date for all anon posts (i think)
Original post by Anonymous
Someone on one of my social media friends list (all the way back from secondary school who I hardly ever spoke to back then, but still) and their uni mates had a "Council Estate / Country Estate" fancy dress party. You can guess how people were dressed, with the usual Burberry hats and tracksuits, someone even turned up in a cardboard box with a highrise drawn on the front.

To clarify it's the "council estate" part that upset me, since I live on one. I've seen other parties like this go down with the dress code being to dress like a "chav". The subtle suggestion in this case is that everyone on a council estate is to be mocked.

You have a right to be offended. Small jokes between friends is one thing, but having a "Council Estate" fancy dress party? That's pretty ignorant. Your life and home is not a funny costume.

People talk about 'you can't say/do anything anymore, people are so sensitive!' but it's come to something when everyone's more bothered by what they are entitled to say/do than whether those things really hurt innocent people. You're not being too sensitive; your friend is just being too insensitive.

Which post of yours have I rated recently? (Tried to rep, but couldn't.)
Original post by Zahid~
Wait am i being trolled.

It's a glitch, it happens from time to time. In reality it was posted not too long ago. I'm not sure if TSR even existed in 1970.

Original post by XcitingStuart
Which post of yours have I rated recently? (Tried to rep, but couldn't.)

I've found that you can only rep the 'Anonymous' entity a certain amount of times, a bit like the once every 40 reps rule for normal users but something like 5 in 20.. maybe? But I could be wrong.

On the face of it it does seem a bit offensive/out of order/snooty, but don't read too much into it.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
It's a glitch, it happens from time to time. In reality it was posted not too long ago. I'm not sure if TSR even existed in 1970..

It's because the original UNIX datatype (time_t) stores the time as an integer representing the number of seconds since 1970.
Original post by SeanFM
It's a glitch, it happens from time to time. In reality it was posted not too long ago. I'm not sure if TSR even existed in 1970.

I've found that you can only rep the 'Anonymous' entity a certain amount of times, a bit like the once every 40 reps rule for normal users but something like 5 in 20.. maybe? But I could be wrong.

On the face of it it does seem a bit offensive/out of order/snooty, but don't read too much into it.

Ty, I presumed I just repped that specific user, and I wanted to know who it was. Thanks for clarifying.
You should go as yourself and be like yeah I came as council estate... When you get the weird looks say well I live on one and hold your head high

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Muddle Class Britain"
Princess Kate was raised in a council house in a single parent family, in Southall of all places!
Now princes royal in the 5th largest economy in the world.
Please remember this thread is in mental health and keep replies on topic and constructive for the OP.
Original post by Little Popcorns
You should go as yourself and be like yeah I came as council estate... When you get the weird looks say well I live on one and hold your head high

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's actually so awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest