The Student Room Group

Dont you think that there should be a law to STOP people BREEDING already?

like we've already hit the 7 million mark on the population ladder, we can't go anymore it's just not healthy for this Earth to contain so many people. i mean there comes a point when there wont be enough trees for everyone and newborn people will not have oxygen, plus where will we live? frankly i'd like to keep my neighbours to a minimum of 2. and whats the point of breeding? babies costs a lot, and are annoying
Reply 1
Go watch Utopia (channel 4 show)

Pretty much this
Reply 2
You mean 7 billion.:facepalm:

Then you have the audacity to claim who should be breeding or not, when you can't even calculate how many human inhabitants are on this planet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
It comes to a point where we would have to question who exactly has this authority to impose this restriction on anyone else. Will one person deserve greater authority over another? I don't think so. But it's an interesting topic, overpopulation. And you're right to say environmental issues will have an impact in the future. And that number 2, where's that pulled out of? The point is, no-one will ever agree on this value...
No! And anyway what conditions are you going to base it on?
Reply 5
Original post by Yetix
Go watch Utopia (channel 4 show)

Pretty much this

powerful

upsetting that it got cancelled
Reply 6
This analysis is quite basic.

The problem is not the raw number per say (remember that we increase food output ect.. every year and in decades to come will mine asteroids) but rather the problem is the fertility rate. If food production increases by 1% in Zambia but the population increases 5% then there's a food shortage unless they are rich enough to import.

Here in Eurasia (or most of it anyway) the fertility rate is either low or very manageable with only small growth (the UK population only grows about 0.7% per year) and so stopping us breeding would be pointless (China may even lose 400 million between 2040 and 2100 because it's fertility rate is so low), it's Africa and the Muslim world that you need to focus on.

Babies may be annoying and expensive however the instinct to breed is strong, you are designed to propagate the species.
Original post by Ya Dunno
You mean 7 billion.:facepalm:

Then you have the audacity to claim who should be breeding or not, when you can't even calculate how many human inhabitants are on this planet.

To be fair, m and b are only a key away from each other on a computer keyboard. Could have just been a simple typo.
Reply 8
Original post by RF_PineMarten
To be fair, m and b are only a key away from each other on a computer keyboard. Could have just been a simple typo.

Maybe, but I was just kidding though, tis all banter.:biggrin:

Nothing serious.
Peak child of 2 billion has been reached. Once population reaches 11 billion, it will begin to decline. The children now need to grow etc.
R u a Malthusian?
Original post by Rakas21
This analysis is quite basic.

The problem is not the raw number per say (remember that we increase food output ect.. every year and in decades to come will mine asteroids) but rather the problem is the fertility rate. If food production increases by 1% in Zambia but the population increases 5% then there's a food shortage unless they are rich enough to import.

Here in Eurasia (or most of it anyway) the fertility rate is either low or very manageable with only small growth (the UK population only grows about 0.7% per year) and so stopping us breeding would be pointless (China may even lose 400 million between 2040 and 2100 because it's fertility rate is so low), it's Africa and the Muslim world that you need to focus on.

Babies may be annoying and expensive however the instinct to breed is strong, you are designed to propagate the species.
Honestly, our species has become parasitic and brutal....
Original post by IFoundWonderland
R u a Malthusian?

No. OP is.
Original post by ZoëC
Honestly, our species has become parasitic and brutal....

Become? Being self interested and territorial is written into our DnA.
What are you basing this on? We can fit the whole of the world's population in LA, so space isn't particularly an issue. Neither is Oxygen.

Resources, yes. But that's why we're looking into renewable sources of energy.
There should probable be preventions to stop people with genetic diseases and no intelligence breeding. If parents know the probability is their child will have some rare inheritable disease that will stop them living a normal life the parents would be stupid to give birth to that child and even try for a child to be honest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
We need some kind of eugenics, yes

Quick Reply

Latest