The Student Room Group

Are my GCSES good enough for medicine?

Hi guys, I'm in my first year of A-levels taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I'm interested in doing medicine at university however I'm unsure about whether my grades are good enough. Could somebody please tell me if I tried super had at A-levels and achieved A's could I get in with these grades?

Biology A
Chemistry A
Child development A
English Language B
English Literature B
Geography A
ICT A
Maths A
Physics B
Religious Studies A*

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Foolishdreamer
Hi guys, I'm in my first year of A-levels taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I'm interested in doing medicine at university however I'm unsure about whether my grades are good enough. Could somebody please tell me if I tried super had at A-levels and achieved A's could I get in with these grades?

Biology A
Chemistry A
Child development A
English Language B
English Literature B
Geography A
ICT A
Maths A
Physics B
Religious Studies A*

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but you'll need to avoid GCSE-heavy schools like Oxford, Birmingham etc. More here (although it's not terribly up-to-date): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, but you'll need to avoid GCSE-heavy schools like Oxford, Birmingham etc. More here (although it's not terribly up-to-date): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths.

Much appreciated! I'll look into this :smile:
Discovering the cure to cancer could balance them out.
Reply 4
As long as you smash your UKCAT to compensate, you'll be fine
Original post by Ekno
As long as you smash your UKCAT to compensate, you'll be fine

Thanks for your reply!
What UKCAT score do you think I would need to get in order to be accepted considering my GCSES aren't as good as others? Do I need to get a lot higher than average to compensate for my GCSE's?
Reply 6
Thanks for your reply!
What UKCAT score do you think I would need to get in order to be accepted considering my GCSES aren't as good as others? Do I need to get a lot higher than average to compensate for my GCSE's?

your gcse's are still really good, i think the average for this year is 2500 so anything above 2700 puts you in a good position. I cant say what you'd need for next year because the average are always changing but anything 200+ of the average will put you in a good position
Reply 7

Biology A
Chemistry A
Child development A
English Language B
English Literature B
Geography A
ICT A
Maths A
Physics B
Religious Studies A*

Thanks in advance.

Look into foundation medicine. Just a year extra!
Original post by Ekno
your gcse's are still really good, i think the average for this year is 2500 so anything above 2700 puts you in a good position. I cant say what you'd need for next year because the average are always changing but anything 200+ of the average will put you in a good position

Thank you! Although they were lower than expected. 2700 seems terribly high but whatever, I guess I'll have to put in a lot of practice. :wink:
I take it you're a medicine applicant then?
Original post by SashaF
Look into foundation medicine. Just a year extra!

I just had a look and it seems a lot easier to get into medicine by doing a foundation year first. I don't think many unis offer it, however.
Reply 10
Thank you! Although they were lower than expected. 2700 seems terribly high but whatever, I guess I'll have to put in a lot of practice. :wink:
I take it you're a medicine applicant then?

i am yeah, i got 3A*, 4 A, 3B at GCSE but 715 in UKCAT made up for it as most UKCAT heavy unis dont rely too much on GCSE's
Reply 11
I am a bit apprehensive about people with less than stellar GCSEs doing medicine. I don't want some thicko treating me, I want the best.
Original post by Maker
I am a bit apprehensive about people with less than stellar GCSEs doing medicine. I don't want some thicko treating me, I want the best.

Go private then. :tongue: That's one thing about healthcare free at the point of use: you can either take it or leave it. Can't shop around for the doctor you like best.

Also nice to see that you think GCSEs are what determines whether a doctor is among 'the best' or not. It must be nice being blissfully ignorant. :moon:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ekno
i am yeah, i got 3A*, 4 A, 3B at GCSE but 715 in UKCAT made up for it as most UKCAT heavy unis dont rely too much on GCSE's

You did really well! Well done! Hope you get into your chosen uni and get accepted onto the course, best of luck!
Reply 14
You did really well! Well done! Hope you get into your chosen uni and get accepted onto the course, best of luck!

Cheers mate, hope you do brilliantly too!
Original post by Maker

Oh go and find something better to do you ignorant prat! Getting into medicine is about so much more than just your GCSE's.
Original post by Hydeman
Go private then. :tongue: That's one thing about healthcare free at the point of use: you can either take it or leave it. Can't shop around for the doctor you like best.

Also nice to see that you think GCSEs are what determines whether a doctor is among 'the best' or not. It must be nice being blissfully ignorant. :moon:

HAHAH thanks mate, couldn't have said it better! What a fool. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending