The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not you
Well at least it wasn't as bad as this guy's essay:

I don't get how anyone can score below 2 in every section, I mean, not trying to be mean or anything, but they must be so ridiculously incapable of reading English if that's the case, to which you have to wonder why they'd apply to an English university?

I'm not an Oxford medicine applicant but wow. Just wow. Where'd you find those results? To get an E on the quality of English is just unbelievable. Maybe the person was a troll applicant. :dontknow:
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not an Oxford medicine applicant but wow. Just wow. Where'd you find those results? To get an E on the quality of English is just unbelievable. Maybe the person was a troll applicant. :dontknow:

Got them from here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admissions_statist_3#incoming-724595

Yeah it's ridiculously bad, I'm guessing this person couldn't speak english at all otherwise I have no idea how they messed up that much
Original post by not you
Got them from here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admissions_statist_3#incoming-724595

Yeah it's ridiculously bad, I'm guessing this person couldn't speak english at all otherwise I have no idea how they messed up that much

This is incredibly detailed. There's a certain pleasure in reading through this, despite the fact that I haven't applied here. :lol:

Some guy got an offer with 3.9, 4.4, 3A! But then, he did have perfect GCSEs and A Levels... :s-smilie:
Original post by Hydeman
This is incredibly detailed. There's a certain pleasure in reading through this, despite the fact that I haven't applied here. :lol:

Some guy got an offer with 3.9, 4.4, 3A! But then, he did have perfect GCSEs and A Levels... :s-smilie:

GCSEs + extenuating circumstances got them an interview, guess the interview must have been pretty amazing too in order to get them an offer even with those A levels
Reply 24
Original post by not you
Congrats! Statistics are bae, have you seen the data from some of the freedom of information requests? Honestly so much detail and so ridiculously useful for gauging your relative position.

Yes I have! I really appreciate how open Oxford is regarding the provision of such detailed table of statistics. I used the 2012 Choudhary FOI request. This guy also sent loads of FOI requests to other universities, though it is a little out of date now.

Original post by ilovecake123
people who have interviews please can you tell me your stats please :smile:

GCSEs: 11A*s
BMAT score: 57%
AS: 5As + EPQ A*
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A

Really surprised I got shortlisted considering my mediocre BMAT score. For sure my GCSEs saved me.
Original post by nicoletayyy
me! hosted at queen's and 2nd one at magdalen

Ahh that's so cool! Hopefully see you there then :smile:
Original post by misstac
Me! My interview is being hosted by Queen's, then i'm at St John's the next morning

Nice! Good luck :smile:
hey, has anyone received a welcome email of some sort from the college you're staying at? like after you fill in the survey form?
Original post by nicoletayyy
hey, has anyone received a welcome email of some sort from the college you're staying at? like after you fill in the survey form?

No, I don't think so?
Original post by thechemistress
Whoop, glad we finally have a thread :biggrin: I did awfully in the BMAT- 5.2, 4.9, 3A. My school was quite surprised because I think they assumed that a good UKCAT score is linked to getting a good BMAT score (I got 800). Clearly not :lol:
Other stats- 11A*s 1B, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predicted for A2.
Fully expecting a rejection tom Oxford tomorrow/the day after tomorrow. I realised how much I wanted to go to Oxford just after getting my BMAT results, which is fairly annoying :tongue: Ah well, best of luck to everybody else xD

mind blown
Original post by C-Dog
For Medicine:
GCSE: 8A*, 2A, B
AS: 5A
A2: 4A* (predicted)
BMAT: 65%

I'm applying for medicine next year not sure about which uni but I got exactly the same GCSE and hopefully I'll get the same AS...
I just wanted to ask other than your amazing grades what else have you done that has given you an offer at Oxford e.g how much work experience and any research projects or books that you have read.

Original post by Ishea16
mind blown

Huh?? What do you mean?
Reply 32
Original post by Ishea16
I'm applying for medicine next year not sure about which uni but I got exactly the same GCSE and hopefully I'll get the same AS...
I just wanted to ask other than your amazing grades what else have you done that has given you an offer at Oxford e.g how much work experience and any research projects or books that you have read.

From what I can tell, the interview candidates are selected from just grades at GCSE and BMAT scores.
BMAT needs to be decent no matter where you go, but they make some allowance for GCSE grades if you came from a crappy school (like myself).

Nothing else really matters until you get to interview, then it gets a bit trickier as they'll grill you on the stuff you write in your personal statement so that all needs to be good (and true!).

I only got back from my interviews this evening so I'd be happy to answer if you have any questions on those while it's still fresh in my head(:
Original post by C-Dog
From what I can tell, the interview candidates are selected from just grades at GCSE and BMAT scores.
BMAT needs to be decent no matter where you go, but they make some allowance for GCSE grades if you came from a crappy school (like myself).

Nothing else really matters until you get to interview, then it gets a bit trickier as they'll grill you on the stuff you write in your personal statement so that all needs to be good (and true!).

I only got back from my interviews this evening so I'd be happy to answer if you have any questions on those while it's still fresh in my head(:

I had my interviews 13-14th and I found that, at my colleges at least, they asked me about a single sentence of my ps and spent a whole lot more time on the scientific questions
Original post by C-Dog

any advice is good advice, I'm all ears:biggrin:

thanks!
How did your interviews go everybody? One of mine was just catastrophic lol, I keep getting these horrible flashbacks about all the idiotic stuff I managed to get out of my mouth during those 20 minutes :ahhhhh:
But I think/hope that the other three went fine!
Original post by Eveliina97
How did your interviews go everybody? One of mine was just catastrophic lol, I keep getting these horrible flashbacks about all the idiotic stuff I managed to get out of my mouth during those 20 minutes :ahhhhh:
But I think/hope that the other three went fine!

My first one at St Hugh's with the two men didn't go so well, but I think the second one went okay. At LMH I had a nosebleed when I stood up...
Original post by not you
My first one at St Hugh's with the two men didn't go so well, but I think the second one went okay. At LMH I had a nosebleed when I stood up...

Yep the same, I don't know what made me mess it up like that since it wasn't super hard or anything! And a nosebleed oh my god :biggrin: that must have been an eh interesting moment for you
Original post by Eveliina97
Yep the same, I don't know what made me mess it up like that since it wasn't super hard or anything! And a nosebleed oh my god :biggrin: that must have been an eh interesting moment for you

Yeah I was in the bathroom trying to stop it for a good 5 minutes and the interviewer had to reassure me by saying it wouldn't affect my application lol
I think I messed up at both my colleges but idk maybe they'll take pity on me

What was your other college?
Original post by not you
Yeah I was in the bathroom trying to stop it for a good 5 minutes and the interviewer had to reassure me by saying it wouldn't affect my application lol
I think I messed up at both my colleges but idk maybe they'll take pity on me

What was your other college?

Hahaha let's hope they will!

My second one was St Catz, tbh I was hoping to get allocated to an older and more beautiful college but it was actually a really nice place :smile:

Can't get past the thought that the tutors are actually grading our interviews and examining our applications and having discussions about us like right now lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending