The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Applicants 2016

To distinguish us *special* 'ahem' lot from the rest of the Oxford applicants! Cambridge medics have a thread so why shouldn't we!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by buzzfeed23
To distinguish us *special* 'ahem' lot from the rest of the Oxford applicants! Cambridge medics have a thread so why shouldn't we!

Not a bad idea :smile: Which college are you applying to?
Original post by NamEJ
Not a bad idea :smile: Which college are you applying to?

hello! which college have you guys applied to? :smile:
Reply 3
So basically a thread for us to cry about about BMAT results and pray that it was enough to get an interview?
Sounds good to me :smile:

Applied for St Hugh's, 6.4, 4.9, 3.5A in BMAT, no GCSEs since Scottish but otherwise straight As in all exams (not that they matter for shortlisting)

Anyone else applied for St Hugh's?
Whoop, glad we finally have a thread :biggrin: I did awfully in the BMAT- 5.2, 4.9, 3A. My school was quite surprised because I think they assumed that a good UKCAT score is linked to getting a good BMAT score (I got 800). Clearly not :lol:
Other stats- 11A*s 1B, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predicted for A2.
Fully expecting a rejection tom Oxford tomorrow/the day after tomorrow. I realised how much I wanted to go to Oxford just after getting my BMAT results, which is fairly annoying :tongue: Ah well, best of luck to everybody else xD
Reply 5
Original post by thechemistress
Whoop, glad we finally have a thread :biggrin: I did awfully in the BMAT- 5.2, 4.9, 3A. My school was quite surprised because I think they assumed that a good UKCAT score is linked to getting a good BMAT score (I got 800). Clearly not :lol:
Fully expecting a rejection tom Oxford tomorrow/the day after tomorrow. I realised how much I wanted to go to Oxford just after getting my BMAT results, which is fairly annoying :tongue: Ah well, best of luck to everybody else xD

I've actually just been trawling through so much data from last year this entire week while waiting on a reply, looking at statistics and telling myself there were people who were shortlisted (and received an offer) with 46.167% in BMAT makes me feel better about myself.

It's the spreadsheet from this and some other information requests:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admissions_statist_3#incoming-724595
Reply 6
Original post by Clarinet
Still waiting on a remark of my horrendous BMAT essay (4.7, 5.4, 1.5D) - the essay was certainly a surprise! However, I'm really not very hopeful, and if they're giving out interviews on Wednesday, they'll have probably decided by now so my remark will have been in vain... Ah well.

Well at least it wasn't as bad as this guy's essay:

I don't get how anyone can score below 2 in every section, I mean, not trying to be mean or anything, but they must be so ridiculously incapable of reading English if that's the case, to which you have to wonder why they'd apply to an English university?
Original post by thechemistress

did you accept your kings interview then?
Reply 8
Got an interview at St Hugh's and LMH as my allocated one!
Thank god for that, was literally sitting at my desk analysing past years results while waiting
Reply 9
Got an interview at St John's and Exeter college!
I actually squealed when I opened the email!
Reply 10
Original post by not you
Got an interview at St Hugh's and LMH as my allocated one!
Thank god for that, was literally sitting at my desk analysing past years results while waiting
Interview at Keble and allocated Worcester (which I'm very happy about). Glad I'm not the only one who likes analysing statistics!
people who have interviews please can you tell me your stats please :smile:
Original post by elendril
Interview at Keble and allocated Worcester (which I'm very happy about). Glad I'm not the only one who likes analysing statistics!

Congrats! Statistics are bae, have you seen the data from some of the freedom of information requests? Honestly so much detail and so ridiculously useful for gauging your relative position.

Original post by ilovecake123

Not English so might be a bit irrelevant to you, but these are mine:

Nat 5 (basically GCSEs): 8A
Highers (basically AS): 5A
Advanced Highers (basically A2): 3A predicted
BMAT score: 62.5%
just curious, does anyone know around how many international applicants they shortlist each year?
Reply 14
Original post by nicoletayyy
just curious, does anyone know around how many international applicants they shortlist each year?

32 international applications are shortlisted each year, and they accept a maximum of 14 people (undergrad and grad) each year (though for the past few years they've only taken in 3 - 5).

Also, how are you guys preparing for your interviews? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ilovecake123

For Medicine:
GCSE: 8A*, 2A, B
AS: 5A
A2: 4A* (predicted)
BMAT: 65%
Has anyone else got an interview from the Queen's College?
Reply 17
Original post by blankpages

Me! My interview is being hosted by Queen's, then i'm at St John's the next morning
Reply 18
How is everyone preparing for interviews?
Original post by blankpages

me! hosted at queen's and 2nd one at magdalen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending