The Student Room Group

Flatmate left gas stove turned on for FIVE HOURS

I just walked into the kitchen to make a sandwich and what do I see?? THE GAS STOVE IS ON!!! Just on the lowest level, but still it was ****ing on and my flatmate left the house around FIVE HOURS AGO which means the stove was on for five hours!! How can you forget to turn a ****ing stove off??

Also, the fire alarm is faulty so just the other day we turned it off so if there was a fire downstairs i wouldnt have even noticed!!!!!

Now there is this white spot on the stove....

Wtf ??????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol
You stoved the day!
OMG don't blow up driftawaay!!!!!! tsr wouldn't be the same!! :cry2:
open all the windows and DON'T light the stove :frown:
Reply 4
He;s trying to kill you lel
Reply 5
Yell at them, that's just a stupid thing to do. My flatmate's boyfriend left the front door ajar once, he got a good telling off. Flatmates got robbed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The thing is, what if I didnt go down to make that sandwich? Then it would have been left on ALL NIGHT as she is gone for the whole night. And then what if I walked into the kitchen in the morning and got carbon monoxide poisoning by the time I finished breakfast.

Its a miracle I went down to the kitchen to be a fatty at 11PM ffs
(edited 8 years ago)
They got some explaining to do
Original post by driftawaay
The thing is, what if I didnt go down to make that sandwich? Then it would have been left on ALL NIGHT as she is gone for the whole night. And then what if I walked into the kitchen in the morning and got carbon monoxide poisoning by the time I finished breakfast.

Well I guess now every time you go down to grab a munch you can do so with the excuse that you're just checking to see if stove's off.

Close call tho.
Seems like a heated situation.
Reply 10

holy **** :O wow!!
tellem offf!!
daym... miracles man 0_0
you could have died!

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think CO is used anymore, I think it's North Sea gas (Methane) used for gas cooking now. It certainly would have given you a headache, presented a fire hazard and cost you a lot but you wouldn't have been at risk of dying
Reply 12
Is it even safe to turn it back on?? As I said there is light a huge white spot covering the stove now and who knows if its safe as I said there is no fire alarm.

is it safe and do i need to do anything? there is no smell or anything in the kitchen.
Original post by Greg Jackson
They got some explaining to do

I just walked into the kitchen to make a sandwich and what do I see?? THE GAS STOVE IS ON!!! Just on the lowest level, but still it was ****ing on and my flatmate left the house around FIVE HOURS AGO which means the stove was on for five hours!! How can you forget to turn a ****ing stove off??

Also, the fire alarm is faulty so just the other day we turned it off so if there was a fire downstairs i wouldnt have even noticed!!!!!

Wtf ??????

I guess you put her gas at a peep

Wtf ??????

Was it on fire or leaking gas?
Is it even safe to turn it back on?? As I said there is light a huge white spot covering the stove now and who knows if its safe as I said there is no fire alarm.

is it safe and do i need to do anything? there is no smell or anything in the kitchen.

If it was smelly before it was most likely methane, as they add a compound to the gas so you can identify it by smell. It should be safe if you can't smell it. However, check if the main gas line has holes in it or anything like that.
Reply 17
Original post by morgan8002
Was it on fire or leaking gas?

There was no flame, just the little blue light on low level. And leaking gas?? I dont know, I couldnt smell anything
You must be fuming
Reply 19
Original post by BobbyFlay
If it was smelly before it was most likely methane, as they add a compound to the gas so you can identify it by smell. It should be safe if you can't smell it. However, check if the main gas line has holes in it or anything like that.

I have no idea what a 'main gas line' is. I havent even seen/know how to turn on a gas stove in real life until I moved into this house three months ago. Im not really a hands on kinda person...

Latest