The Student Room Group

Struggling with bereavement

I've had to quit university in my second year due to the fact I've lost two family members within roughly a year of each other and I didn't feel I could carry on and do well in my degree

I want to start over at a new university when I feel ready to do so and Mark on here said I could have an additional year of funding if I showed evidence.

This is going to sound daft but what do I say on the letter? Has anybody else on here lost people before their time at university?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know what advice to give, but I wouldn't if I were you expect replies until morning, as few are on at this time (only night time owls.)

Just giving you the heads up.

Edit: I presume just to keep it concise like "I lost two family members within the space of a year." perhaps including how those family members were related to you, to make it more personal, like "I lost a brother and a grandfather in the space of a year." or something like that.

I have.lost quite a few people, though none too recently (only in college atm.)

Edit #2: Collaborate with other members first though, as I have no experience in writing letters in these areas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't know what advice to give, but I wouldn't if I were you expect replies until morning, as few are on at this time (only night time owls.)

Just giving you the heads up.

Edit: I presume just to keep it concise like "I lost two family members within the space of a year." perhaps including how those family members were related to you, to make it more personal, like "I lost a brother and a grandfather in the space of a year." or something like that.

I have.lost quite a few people, though none too recently (only in college atm.)

Edit #2: Collaborate with other members first though, as I have no experience in writing letters in these areas.

Thanks, I will make sure too

I'm sorry to hear that, who have you lost?
Grandparents on one side of the family (though I never really knew those ones.)
Mother when 8 (generally feel uncomfortable saying that.)
Grandparents on one side of the family (though I never really knew those ones.)
Mother when 8 (generally feel uncomfortable saying that.)

:console:

I'm sorry to hear about that :frown:
I hope you're okay now, though.
Yep :smile:
(There are broody times of the year though at certain occasions.)
Also just kinda awkward when mother's day comes up (well was this year), just avoided friends.
Reply 6
Yep :smile:
(There are broody times of the year though at certain occasions.)
Also just kinda awkward when mother's day comes up (well was this year), just avoided friends.

I can understand why; I hate Christmas now because of this :/

Have you lived with your father or another member of family?
Original post by Anonymous
I can understand why; I hate Christmas now because of this :/

Have you lived with your father or another member of family?

Father has brought me up by himself ever since.
Father has brought me up by himself ever since.

That's awesome, your father sounds amazing!
Yep, he is. :smile:

(There was 4 of us to raise.)
Yep, he is. :smile:

(There was 4 of us to raise.)

Wow Superdad or what?

That's so awesome!
Wow Superdad or what?

That's so awesome!

+1 (figuratively, can't atm)

It's easy not to appreciate what you've got, if that make sense.
Does anybody else have any similar experiences?
Reply 13
Lots of sympathy to you both, I have recently been bereaved, I dont want to go into too much detail on here but you have my sympathy. I cant imagine dealing with a second loss on top of the first.

In terms of the letter, could you ask Cruise Bereavement services to help? They may even have some sample letters on their website. I believe they do for people requesting time off work.

I would suggest writing a simple letter describing the circumstances as much as feels comfortable and then a statement along the lines of, " I would like to reapply for xxxxx funding. I understand that it is usually against your policy as I have already completed a year of my course but I would be grateful for your consideration given these very difficult and unusual circumstances. Please let me know if you need any further information" yours sincerely etc

Good luck. Wishing you brighter times ahead
Reply 14
Having re read your post, I would just like to add, take your time and take care of yourself. There is no rush to sort this out now.

I know that is not what you asked but sometimes I have needed reminding that I am dealing with massive change and it is ok to not have all the answers right now.
Original post by bunyun
Lots of sympathy to you both, I have recently been bereaved, I dont want to go into too much detail on here but you have my sympathy. I cant imagine dealing with a second loss on top of the first.

In terms of the letter, could you ask Cruise Bereavement services to help? They may even have some sample letters on their website. I believe they do for people requesting time off work.

I would suggest writing a simple letter describing the circumstances as much as feels comfortable and then a statement along the lines of, " I would like to reapply for xxxxx funding. I understand that it is usually against your policy as I have already completed a year of my course but I would be grateful for your consideration given these very difficult and unusual circumstances. Please let me know if you need any further information" yours sincerely etc

Good luck. Wishing you brighter times ahead

Original post by bunyun
Having re read your post, I would just like to add, take your time and take care of yourself. There is no rush to sort this out now.

I know that is not what you asked but sometimes I have needed reminding that I am dealing with massive change and it is ok to not have all the answers right now.

Thank you and I'm sincerely sorry for your recent bereavement aswell

Your advice is lovely <3

Wishing you better times ahead in return :smile:

Thank you again
:bump:
Shoud've bumped it during the day. :P
Shoud've bumped it during the day. :P

Oh hush :P

I tried xD
Oh hush :P