The Student Room Group

Psychology Degree at a leading university.

Hello,
At GCSE I got A*AAAAAAAAAC, I really want to be a clinical psychologist, basically I was looking at advice on subjects I could take, I am currently off school and will not be returning until the September term. Does anyone have any insight into subject recommendation?

I was thinking Psychology,English Literature,Geography and RS or Psychology,Sociology,Geography and RS

Thanks
Reply 1
I really doubt there is a difference between those two combinations of subjects,
Take into consideration that Unis only care about the grade you get at the end of it (some may require physcology as compulsory so yeah you need that)
Just do whatever you think you will enjoy most (assuming you think you will get the same grade in English Literature and Sociology).
If you find one combination of subjects EASIER, then just do the easier one. Ultimately universities want the highest grade possible from you.
I like the variety you have there and I'm sure your interviewers will too.
Original post by Zahid~
I really doubt there is a difference between those two combinations of subjects,
Take into consideration that Unis only care about the grade you get at the end of it (some may require physcology as compulsory so yeah you need that)
Just do whatever you think you will enjoy most (assuming you think you will get the same grade in English Literature and Sociology).
If you find one combination of subjects EASIER, then just do the easier one. Ultimately universities want the highest grade possible from you.
I like the variety you have there and I'm sure your interviewers will too.

Ahh, I have heard facilitating subjects are needed in high demand for Psychology, I hopefully want to go to either Manchester or Liverpool, both between ABB and AAB, will they not prioritise people with more facilitating subjects?
Reply 3
Nope, they priorities people with the grades they are predicted and their personal statement.
Personal statement is used to show commitment/motivation, so best thing to do for that is to gather as much work experience in anything(in a variety of things).
Original post by Zahid~
Nope, they priorities people with the grades they are predicted and their personal statement.
Personal statement is used to show commitment/motivation, so best thing to do for that is to gather as much work experience in anything(in a variety of things).

So a good balance of Facilitating subjects and subjects I enjoy would be beneficial?
Reply 5
Facilitating subjects dont matter. Aslong as you have Physcology and dont have subjects like creative writing/film studies.
Choose the subjects you find easiest and enjoy most.
I cant stress this enough, i was in a position like you before, and thought the same as you, i completely understand. but at the end of the day, it is your grade, not the subject , that matters.
So easiest and most enjoyable + Psychology.

Avoid the subjects in the ''dont like'' section of http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-universities-using-a-secret-list-242896
ALL other subjects are PERFECTLY fine
Original post by Zahid~
Facilitating subjects dont matter. Aslong as you have Physcology and dont have subjects like creative writing/film studies.
Choose the subjects you find easiest and enjoy most.
I cant stress this enough, i was in a position like you before, and thought the same as you, i completely understand. but at the end of the day, it is your grade, not the subject , that matters.
So easiest and most enjoyable + Psychology.

Avoid the subjects in the ''dont like'' section of http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-universities-using-a-secret-list-242896
ALL other subjects are PERFECTLY fine

Ahh yeah, I just want to keep options open
Reply 7
Id say the English literature combination is the most varied (to keep your options open) if you think taking up something English related in the future is possible.
Original post by Zahid~
Id say the English literature combination is the most varied (to keep your options open) if you think taking up something English related in the future is possible.

Its basically between:
Geography
Psychology
International relations
Reply 9
Both combinations are perfectly fine then.
Hi,

I got very similar GCSEs, took RS, psych & sociology

Got offers from: UCL, Durham & RHUL

Also on the path of becoming a clin psych
Original post by BanterClaus28
Hello,
At GCSE I got A*AAAAAAAAAC, I really want to be a clinical psychologist, basically I was looking at advice on subjects I could take, I am currently off school and will not be returning until the September term. Does anyone have any insight into subject recommendation?

I was thinking Psychology,English Literature,Geography and RS or Psychology,Sociology,Geography and RS

Thanks

The best would be maths, chemistry, biology and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its a good idea to take a science and/or maths as some top unis will prefer this. You're obviously academically able to do so!

Quick Reply

Latest