The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of getting into Cambridge ?

GCSEs are good
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zoro555
GCSEs;
Maths - A*
English language -A*
English Literature -B
Biology -A
Chemistry -A
Physics -A
History -A*
Business Studies -A*
Geography -A
IT -A*
I am considering taking;English language,psychology,philosophy and ethics,maths.I know I haven't done my Alevels yet but do my GCSEs sound promising ?

You've posted this in the Oxford forum...

They're mostly A*s and As so you're good for Cambridge, but you'll still need to do very well in your ASs, if your school still does them. Cambridge asks for your actual UMS score in every exam you sit so you need to be aiming for as high a mark as possible, rather than a particular grade.

I also don't understand how you've finished GCSEs but are still 'considering' which A Levels to take, given that we're almost at the end of the first term of the academic year. Are these grades predictions, then?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You've posted this in the Oxford forum...

They're mostly A*s and As so you're good for Cambridge, but you'll still need to do very well in your ASs, if your school still does them. Cambridge asks for your actual UMS score in every exam you sit so you need to be aiming for as high a mark as possible, rather than a particular grade.

I also don't understand how you've finished GCSEs but are still 'considering' which A Levels to take, given that we're almost at the end of the first term of the academic year. Are these grades predictions, then?

They could be on a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
They could be on a gap year?

Hmm, possibly. It's very unusual to take a gap year between GCSEs and A Levels though, hence my confusion. :colondollar:
Your GCSEs are pretty good. Straight A*s in A-Levels are not enough to into Cambridge, you need to be versatile, an all-rounder try participating in a lot of events. Start preparing your personal statement now, In 2 years you will able to make a stellar Statement giving you an upper hand. Good luck, remember, Hard work always pays off. Spend these two years wisely and don't overwhelm yourself. Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
Your GCSEs are pretty good. Straight A*s in A-Levels are not enough to into Cambridge, you need to be versatile, an all-rounder try participating in a lot of events. Start preparing your personal statement now, In 2 years you will able to make a stellar Statement giving you an upper hand. Good luck, remember, Hard work always pays off. Spend these two years wisely and don't overwhelm yourself. Good Luck! :smile:

Actually, both Oxford and Cambridge are very clear that they care more about the academics than anything else. Extracurriculars don't matter for Oxbridge unless they're related to the subject you're applying for and show that you've bothered to pursue it in your own time and to a greater extent than the A Level syllabus. They do matter for other universities though so it's better to do them anyway. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Hmm, possibly. It's very unusual to take a gap year between GCSEs and A Levels though, hence my confusion. :colondollar:

Haha but it is possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Actually, both Oxford and Cambridge are very clear that they care more about the academics than anything else. Extracurriculars don't matter for Oxbridge unless they're related to the subject you're applying for and show that you've bothered to pursue it in your own time and to a greater extent than the A Level syllabus. They do matter for other universities though so it's better to do them anyway. :smile:

It's sad to see top uni's not caring on extracurricular activities, its vital for success. It will not benefit learning all newtons laws and Tesla Laws and not using them directly in a practical way, its only narrowing our capabilities. Practicality comes first before theory, that's how inventions happen, If something is necessary, we try to invent a practical way to approach these problems and then later on theoretically improve the efficiency of the system.
Reply 8
It's sad to see top uni's not caring on extracurricular activities, its vital for success. It will not benefit learning all newtons laws and Tesla Laws and not using them directly in a practical way, its only narrowing our capabilities. Practicality comes first before theory, that's how inventions happen, If something is necessary, we try to invent a practical way to approach these problems and then later on theoretically improve the efficiency of the system.

Demonstrating practical applications of Newton's Laws or whatever are perfectly fine in your PS for Oxbridge. (Super-curricular)

Bronze DofE, or being captain of rugby, is not. (Extra-curricular)
Original post by Zoro555
GCSEs;
Maths - A*
English language -A*
English Literature -B
Biology -A
Chemistry -A
Physics -A
History -A*
Business Studies -A*
Geography -A
IT -A*
I am considering taking;English language,psychology,philosophy and ethics,maths.I know I haven't done my Alevels yet but do my GCSEs sound promising ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Until you start your a-levels and see how you're doing in them, nobody can tell how your chance will be like.
And without knowing which course you want to apply to, it's not possible either if your choice of a-level subjects are appropriate or not, let alone your chance for Cambridge (or Oxford or any top RG unis)
And to be a competitive applicants for those top unis, it's advisable to choose more facilisting subjects. Among your present choice of subjects, Maths is the only one that Cambridge considers as 'a key subject.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/subjectmatters.pdf

Pretty sure designing new inventions would depend more on your ability to use Newton's Laws than your ability to play 16 instruments...
GCSEs are absolutely fine, but another question from me is that its an odd combination of subjects (just an observation) do you have any idea as to what you want to get a degree in?
Original post by not you
Pretty sure designing new inventions would depend more on your ability to use Newton's Laws than your ability to play 16 instruments...

Yep :smile:

Quick Reply