The Student Room Group

Nightmare Teaching Assistant

Sorry if this a repetition of an older post, but is anyone doing their Primary (or secondary!) PGCE and having difficulties with the class TA? Mine is having trouble with me 'invading her territory', and even though the ruder she gets the nicer I get, she won't back off. Any ideas guys? I've already spoken to my mentor she's discussing it with the other SLT's 😡
(edited 8 years ago)
TAs are meant to be teacher lead so the TA you mention does sound like a particular pain in the....

I think you're right to mention it to people who can intervene.
Original post by CatFit
Sorry if this a repetition of an older post, but is anyone doing their Primary (or secondary!) PGCE and having difficulties with the class TA? Mine is having trouble with me 'invading her territory', and even though the ruder she gets the nicer I get, she won't back off. Any ideas guys? I've already spoken to my mentor she's discussing it with the other SLT's 😡

What exactly is she doing? I think the class teacher/mentor needs to have a word with her as it's completely unprofessional.
Reply 3
When I teach a lesson, she'll make nasty comments about my teaching instead of feeding back about the children; she'll change my plan without running it by me, arguing with me about outcomes... Etc. Things that she's not really qualified to do. I'm always up for constructive criticism (I am learning after all!) but she's just rude.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CatFit
When I teach a lesson, she'll make nasty comments about my teaching instead of feeding back about the children; she'll change my plan without running it by me, arguing with me about outcomes... Etc. Things that she's not really qualified to do. I'm always up for constructive criticism (I am learning after all!) but she's just rude.

Gosh that sounds awful. She's obviously feeling threatened by your presence. I think your mentor definitely needs to have a word with her as that is totally unacceptable. Try not to take it personally (easier said than done, I know) and rise above it. She sounds very petty.
Reply 5
Thank you for all of your advice :smile:
I don't think it's personal, but I have noticed that she'll act differently in front of different people, so maybe it's just a hierarchy thing. Yawn!! the funny thing is if she was one of my pupils I could use it as behaviour management practice...
Well Teaching Standard 8 is to do with working with other adults in the classroom so it could be used as evidence of 'building relationships'??
Reply 7
Haha! Yeah it could, if it was actually working :smile:
It's quite handy though that her day off is usually when I get observed, and it goes really well! Fingers crossed that doesn't change 👍🏼

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending