The Student Room Group

Medical journals for applicants

HI,

Does anybody recommend any medical journals for students who planning on applying to medical school.

I want to know more about what's going on with regards to NHS and any new medical breakthroughs, big or small.

Thanks
If you want general news and articles, try to find someone with access to the BMJ or - preferably - Student BMJ. BMA members automatically get sent copies of these, so if you know any doctors or medical students, might be worth asking them.
Reply 2
That sounds perfect. Just general news and articles is exactly what i need!

Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Josephw1989
That sounds perfect. Just general news and articles is exactly what i need!

Thank you

The Student BMJ is free to read online and is more than enough for applicants. Lots of people suggest New Scientist but personally I think it's a load of rubbish. I remember there being some sixth form-specific journals (or rather magazines) - called Physics/Biology/Chemistry Review and they were always very good. Might be worth seeing if they have online access or talk to your teachers about them.

Else the BBC Health website is good.
Reply 4
I echo the advice for student BMJ- this is pitched at an appropriate level for medical applicants

BBC News (Health section) is variably good, however often its stories are based on studies elsewhere (e.g. in the BMJ or Lancet), so I would read the original article alongside the BBC's report, if you were willing to talk about a story at interview

Another good tip I have is to go on to the website of whichever university you have an interview for. There you will find areas of research it is involved in (obviously look for medical research- there will be some!), and then you can talk about that. That will demonstrate that you actually have an interest in that medical school, rather than coming up with some limp rehashed argument about the NHS or generic medical research story

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending