The Student Room Group

is this workout good? or should I make changes?

Hey guys, I have bene going to the gym on and off for the last few years, but without progress, but recently I decided I should set some goals and work towards it.My height is 165cm and current weight is 64kg.

Atm the gym I go to is quite small and has only dumbbells.
My workout routine is

Day 1 Chest

Bench Press 17.5kg 2x10
Inclined Bench press 15kg 3x11
Inclined fly 7.5kg 3x13
Fly 7.5kg 3x13
Straight arm pullover 10kg 3x8

Day 2 Biceps n Triceps

Biceps Curl 10kg 3x8
Inclined Biceps bench curl 10kg 3x7
Seated concentration curl 10kg 3x9
Hammer curl 10kg 2x14
2 arms triceps extensions 15kg 3x10
triceps kickback 5kg 3x12
triceps pushdown 20kg 3x10

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Shoulder n Forearms

lateral raise 5kg 3x13
Front Raise 7.5 kg 2x12
Bent over deltoid raise 5kg 3x6
seated shoulder press 12.5kg 3x10
upright row7.5kg 3x8
shoulder shrug 20kg 3x12
wrist curl

Day 5 Legs n Back

Lying leg curl 30kg 3x9
seated leg extensions 30kg 3x15
stepping lunges 10kg 3x10
calf raise 120kg 3x20
leg press 170kg 3x20
lying back fly 2.5kg 3x15
kneeling one arm row 10kg 3x11
lat pull down 70kg 3x11
bent over row
dead lift

Day 6 Rest

Day 7 Rest

Is this workout good? any other exercises I should add?My goals are to reduce body fat and gain muscle n strength.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
That's not a routine, it's a list of exercises. Routines have reps, sets and planned progression. Since you don't know that you probably shouldn't be trying to write your own routine yet, use one wrote by someone know who knows more than you. Once you've done decent runs of other people's programmes you'll have a better sense of what works for you and different methods then you can think about writing your own
Not good at all, total mess to be honest.
Original post by BKS
That's not a routine, it's a list of exercises. Routines have reps, sets and planned progression. Since you don't know that you probably shouldn't be trying to write your own routine yet, use one wrote by someone know who knows more than you. Once you've done decent runs of other people's programmes you'll have a better sense of what works for you and different methods then you can think about writing your own

This.

Read the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by BKS

sorry I had just listed the exercises I do, but now have updated the post with the reps and sets.

the problem with me following others routine is that my gym has got only dumbbells, so I'm trying my best to modify other workouts to suit the equipment I have. any other dumbbells excercies I should add, or omit?
I'm over working any muscle group and under working others?
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
This.

Read the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

updated my post, check post above, any feedback advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
What kind of gym has only dumbells , go to a proper gym and start 5x5 program for a few months , then you can do splits.
yeah its really good especially the biceps curl and wrist curl
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TSR Mustafa
What kind of gym has only dumbells , go to a proper gym and start 5x5 program for a few months , then you can do splits.

the thing is, this gym is in my condo, so just 2 mins walk, whereas some other gym will require 20 mins of travelling, got exam in jan, planning to go to the other gym from FEB.
Original post by Jeeva28
the thing is, this gym is in my condo, so just 2 mins walk, whereas some other gym will require 20 mins of travelling, got exam in jan, planning to go to the other gym from FEB.

20 mins isn't that far away. If you want to get serious results , you gotta put alot of work in. Doing isolated exercises only isn't going to stimulate the number of muscle fibres as compound excercises like deadlifts and squats.
Reply 10
20 mins is nothing, if you are serious then you'll find the time

You're routine still doesn't show any progression and as a list of exercises it's really not good. I think what you'd want to do is more like ICF. If you wont go to a proper gym then DB for everything except squat, do leg press. For deadlift the grip on DBs may well be the limiting factor and lifting off the floor so its one of the few situations where I think straps and not going to a dead stop is an ok idea
Reply 11
thank you for the replies, I'm planning to join a proper gym from next semester, its just that, I'm pretty packed at the moment with exams coming, so thought of working out here for the moment, and use the max out of this gym.
As others have suggested, follow one that is known to work.

I've been in the gym for a couple of years and if I'd have known back when I first started what I know now, I'd be a stronger athlete.

Do the SL 5x5 program. Im currently doing that now. And it is good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeeva28
thank you for the replies, I'm planning to join a proper gym from next semester, its just that, I'm pretty packed at the moment with exams coming, so thought of working out here for the moment, and use the max out of this gym.

Congrats on taking action. A gym with only dumbbells is definitely not the same as a fully loaded gym as the other posters pointed out. However, that's what you have right now, so lets work with it. How high do the dumbbells go up? Does the gym having anything else (Plates, Medicine Ball, Bands, Pull up Bar, Ab wheel, Weight Bench, treadmill,etc)

Cheers
Reply 14
Original post by Longevity
Congrats on taking action. A gym with only dumbbells is definitely not the same as a fully loaded gym as the other posters pointed out. However, that's what you have right now, so lets work with it. How high do the dumbbells go up? Does the gym having anything else (Plates, Medicine Ball, Bands, Pull up Bar, Ab wheel, Weight Bench, treadmill,etc)

Cheers

thanks for the positive vibe hehe. Yep it has weight bench treadmillsand medicine ball.
Reply 15
You could get some goblet squats in there if you don't have a barbell - I find it's good for improving squat form. Then keep your leg press for volume work :smile:

Maybe throw in some deadlift variation? Stiff-legged for hamstrings for example, and Romanian. Get those compound exercises in, barbells or not :tongue:

And like someone else mentioned - get a program sorted out. There's a lot of material online :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
As a daily baseline outside of your gym I'd follow this routine on a daily basis first thing in the morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

Workout Routine (3times per week)
1. Warm up, take the time to read through this guys guide and follow one of his full body warm-ups before lifting. It'll take you 15-20min take your time on it.
http://www.syattfitness.com/sf-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Syatt-Fitness-Guide-to-Warming-Up-A-Step-by-Step-Guide-for-Optimal-Performance4.pdf

2. DB Front Squat 2x20 then, body weight, wall supported squat hold 2x30s-1min iso hold

3. DB Stiff Legged Deadlift 2x15 then, glute hamraise using the weight bench 2x8

4. Kroc Row 1x20 L/R, then 1round of dynamic blackburn circuit 10 reps each position
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcPCTyJVqE

5. DB bench press 2x15 then EQI push-up 2x30s-1min hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1xXl7QuiY

Finisher Circuit 1 round
1.Medicine Ball Slams x 25
2. Front Plank 30s-1min hold
3. Side Plank 30s-1min hold L/R
4. Spread Eagle DB Situp x15
5. Hammer Curl x15
6. Close Grip Push Up x 20

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions
Reply 17
Original post by Zaffre
You could get some goblet squats in there if you don't have a barbell - I find it's good for improving squat form. Then keep your leg press for volume work :smile:

Maybe throw in some deadlift variation? Stiff-legged for hamstrings for example, and Romanian. Get those compound exercises in, barbells or not :tongue:

And like someone else mentioned - get a program sorted out. There's a lot of material online :u:

Original post by Longevity
As a daily baseline outside of your gym I'd follow this routine on a daily basis first thing in the morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

Workout Routine (3times per week)
1. Warm up, take the time to read through this guys guide and follow one of his full body warm-ups before lifting. It'll take you 15-20min take your time on it.
http://www.syattfitness.com/sf-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Syatt-Fitness-Guide-to-Warming-Up-A-Step-by-Step-Guide-for-Optimal-Performance4.pdf

2. DB Front Squat 2x20 then, body weight, wall supported squat hold 2x30s-1min iso hold

3. DB Stiff Legged Deadlift 2x15 then, glute hamraise using the weight bench 2x8

4. Kroc Row 1x20 L/R, then 1round of dynamic blackburn circuit 10 reps each position
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcPCTyJVqE

5. DB bench press 2x15 then EQI push-up 2x30s-1min hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1xXl7QuiY

Finisher Circuit 1 round
1.Medicine Ball Slams x 25
2. Front Plank 30s-1min hold
3. Side Plank 30s-1min hold L/R
4. Spread Eagle DB Situp x15
5. Hammer Curl x15
6. Close Grip Push Up x 20

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions

Thank you,

Definitely will :smile:
It's a basic bro split. It's not great, if you eat well then sure you can make gains of it. It's pretty inefficient for time and energy and you can do more in a shorter amount of time. This is all detailed by the FAQ
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Agree with this.

If you're not strong enough to do a hypertrophy routine with enough weight, you'll plateau at a really low level.

Quick Reply

Latest