The Student Room Group

The SJW vegan movement is counterproductive

The increase in expression of veganism, especially online, is nice and all at first, but their militant and aggressive nature of trying to convert everyone to veganism is preachy and annoying. I've seen someone comparing eating eggs to raping people?? The intensity with which these SJW pseudo-vegans want to impose their views on everyone is also really problematic and classist.
I think it's cool if you wanna be a vegan but the discussion should really end on your plate, there's no need to guilt anyone else into your personal lifestyle choices? What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I find some of their comparisons laughable. As soon as any mention of chicken rape occurs I'll stop listening because they're clearly unable to take part in a rational non-emotionally charged discussion and will very uickly devolve into calling everyone a murder and rapist.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
I find some of their comparisons laughable. As soon as any mention of chicken rape occurs I'll stop listening because they're clearly unable to take part in a rational non-emotionally charged discussion and will very uickly devolve into calling everyone a murder and rapist.

Exactly! Not only does it look bad for their movement but it also works to deter people from their message, and takes away from all the good intentions they have.
Most things SJW is counterproductive.
Reply 4
some of them are too much

like maybe we should focus more on stopping humans from killing humans right now before we deal with the animals...
I'm vegan and I can't stand the preachy ones, they give us all a bad name and I've been on the receiving end of it before, too (apparently keeping guinea pigs and eating your meals with meat-eaters makes you a target lmao), but I have to say I've had sh*t off meat-eaters, too, who seem to consider it their personal mission to get me eating bacon. Piss off and give me the respect I'm giving you by letting you eat your meal in peace okay?

However, I do get why the preachy ones are preachy. I'm not condoning it, but I get it. I always find it hard to find a comparison because there isn't one, really, but imagine having to watch people do something every day that you consider completely morally wrong (eating animals) and not being able to do anything about it. Imo - and in the eyes of the preachy ones - you're eating a sentient, feeling, emotional being, and that is horrific. So I get why they're preachy. The other thing that really annoys me (aside from people who think I need to eat bacon/cheese or I'll die) is that people - not everyone, but many - don't know what happens on factory farms/within the dairy and egg industries. I think people should know exactly what happens in the production of their meat/cheese/eggs etc., and it annoys me when people say that they 'understand vegetarianism but veganism is too far', when in reality the egg/dairy industries are just as bloody as the meat industry. Basically what I'm trying to say is that ignorance around the food industry annoys me a lot more than people actually eating eggs/cheese etc. does.
Original post by z33
some of them are too much

like maybe we should focus more on stopping humans from killing humans right now before we deal with the animals...

I get your POV but to a lot of veggies and vegans (the ethical ones, rather than the health ones or the because-it's-cool ones) non-human animal life is held at a similar or the same value as human life

I've never heard of chicken rape comparisons but there was a militant vegan I worked with once who said that the dairy industry involved rape. I kinda get what she meant, because in her eyes artificially inseminating cows so they have babies so we can nick their milk was rape, especially as the cows are pregnant a lot more often and for a lot longer than they would be naturally.
Reply 8
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I get your POV but to a lot of veggies and vegans (the ethical ones, rather than the health ones or the because-it's-cool ones) non-human animal life is held at a similar or the same value as human life

alright that's fine by me and quite respectable as long as they don't put non-human animal life up on a pedestal and call all humans trash and murderers and stand outside Harrods screaming "DON'T BUY FROM HARRODS" and pointing at people with Harrods shopping bags calling them murderers -_-
Original post by z33
alright that's fine by me and quite respectable as long as they don't put non-human animal life up on a pedestal and call all humans trash and murderers and stand outside Harrods screaming "DON'T BUY FROM HARRODS" and pointing at people with Harrods shopping bags calling them murderers -_-

I would literally never do that, I never buy fur and leather and stuff like that and happily boycott companies that test on animals etc. but I've never called someone trash for doing so lmao tbh the only time I ever really bring up my veganism is when someone offers me a brew and I have to explain I don't drink milk :tongue:
I've never heard of chicken rape comparisons but there was a militant vegan I worked with once who said that the dairy industry involved rape. I kinda get what she meant, because in her eyes artificially inseminating cows so they have babies so we can nick their milk was rape, especially as the cows are pregnant a lot more often and for a lot longer than they would be naturally.

The thing that annoys me about that argument they use is that they're (whenever I ask) totally fine with animal artificial insemination for say pandas or zoo animals. It's sheer hypocrisy. Like sure, don't agree with the meat industry that is fine. But don't equate farm animal insemination to rape if you don't think it's "rape" in endangered animals. Either it's rape or it's not rape to artificially inseminate an animal. Obviously it's ridiculous anyway, but still.
Reply 11
I would literally never do that, I never buy fur and leather and stuff like that and happily boycott companies that test on animals etc. but I've never called someone trash for doing so lmao tbh the only time I ever really bring up my veganism is when someone offers me a brew and I have to explain I don't drink milk :tongue:

Awh haha
Respect to y'all vegans that don't call us trash for enjoying our meals and we'll let you enjoy yours :3
The thing that annoys me about that argument they use is that they're (whenever I ask) totally fine with animal artificial insemination for say pandas or zoo animals. It's sheer hypocrisy. Like sure, don't agree with the meat industry that is fine. But don't equate farm animal insemination to rape if you don't think it's "rape" in endangered animals. Either it's rape or it's not rape to artificially inseminate an animal. Obviously it's ridiculous anyway, but still.

I kinda don't think it's ridiculous, for the reasons I said before (pregnant more often than they would be naturally etc etc) but I wouldn't tell someone they're a rapist for buying milk (which she did once...). Yeah, it's hypocritical. Obviously I'm not them but I'd guess their reasoning is that in zoos and conservation it's for the continuance of the species rather than human greed? Idk just a guess, I've never actually asked
Original post by z33
Awh haha
Respect to y'all vegans that don't call us trash for enjoying our meals and we'll let you enjoy yours :3

If only, I get so much more crap off meat eaters than I've ever given to them! :tongue:
I don't know where you guys hear about these people. Chicken rape?? SMH

I think people should be more conscious of what they eat. I am trying to cut down on stuff that has blatantly ethical and environmental concerns, but I don't think I'll be vegan until they can grow all the things I like in a lab. I'm really glad that some people are actually researching that.
If only, I get so much more crap off meat eaters than I've ever given to them! :tongue:

y cant we all just get along :moon:

(except the animals they are food mostly)
Reply 16

i apologise on their behalf -_-
i don't get why they feel the need to start on you if you're a vegan

i bet everytime you mention that you're vegan someone will be like "why?" "animals were meant to be eaten!" "you're weird"

i see it happen to vegetarians all the time (i know a lot of vegetarians :tongue:) - must be even worse for vegans :/
Original post by SmashConcept
y cant we all just get along :moon:

(except the animals they are food mostly)

Because you lot insist on trying to shove Haribo down my throat? :wink: (just to be clear, that was a joke - although it did happen once!)

I'd say that's a matter of opinion :tongue:
I kinda don't think it's ridiculous, for the reasons I said before (pregnant more often than they would be naturally etc etc) but I wouldn't tell someone they're a rapist for buying milk (which she did once...). Yeah, it's hypocritical. Obviously I'm not them but I'd guess their reasoning is that in zoos and conservation it's for the continuance of the species rather than human greed? Idk just a guess, I've never actually asked

I agree that yes they are pregnant more than they would be naturally.

However that doesn't make the rape sentiment any less ridiculous.

Rape is a horrific crime committed against a person that can cause horrific emotional damage to the individual. The same cannot be said for specially artificial insemination (I'm talking about the inseminations NOT the industry). So like I said it's either rape or not rape. You can't argue it both ways it simply does not make sense.
I'm vegan and I can't stand the preachy ones, they give us all a bad name and I've been on the receiving end of it before, too (apparently keeping guinea pigs and eating your meals with meat-eaters makes you a target lmao), but I have to say I've had sh*t off meat-eaters, too, who seem to consider it their personal mission to get me eating bacon. Piss off and give me the respect I'm giving you by letting you eat your meal in peace okay?

However, I do get why the preachy ones are preachy. I'm not condoning it, but I get it. I always find it hard to find a comparison because there isn't one, really, but imagine having to watch people do something every day that you consider completely morally wrong (eating animals) and not being able to do anything about it. Imo - and in the eyes of the preachy ones - you're eating a sentient, feeling, emotional being, and that is horrific. So I get why they're preachy. The other thing that really annoys me (aside from people who think I need to eat bacon/cheese or I'll die) is that people - not everyone, but many - don't know what happens on factory farms/within the dairy and egg industries. I think people should know exactly what happens in the production of their meat/cheese/eggs etc., and it annoys me when people say that they 'understand vegetarianism but veganism is too far', when in reality the egg/dairy industries are just as bloody as the meat industry. Basically what I'm trying to say is that ignorance around the food industry annoys me a lot more than people actually eating eggs/cheese etc. does.

You. I like you. :yep:

That bit that I've bolded put me in mind of people who will happily eat meat (fine, their choice) but don't want it to look too bloody/too much like an animal, in case it reminds them of where it's come from. That's some pretty spectacular cognitive dissonance going on there.

I'm not vegan yet.. I've been vegetarian for five years and am slowly cutting down on my dairy and egg intake. I'm veggie for environmental more than animal rights reasons, though the dairy and egg industries are a problem whatever your motivation is. Like you, I'm not militant about it - I don't usually even talk about it unless people ask - but I do have a tendency to snap when I hear people coming out with pseudoscientific arguments about why meat is a necessary component of the human diet. Those people are just going to get it, I'm afraid. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending