The Student Room Group

Oxford chemistry interview

Has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for Oxford chemistry interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by longsightdon
Has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for Oxford chemistry interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started looking at some chemistry olympiad questions, might help?
Original post by itsConnor_
Started looking at some chemistry olympiad questions, might help?

Yeah I'm printing some papers out tomorrow, how's ur prep going?
Yeah I'm printing some papers out tomorrow, how's ur prep going?

Haven't started any real 'prep' yet (only looked at 1 chem olympiad question) - I wasn't really expecting an interview after the Imperial rejection. But I've done 5 mock interviews with the school (2 of which were Oxford-style).

I'm planning on doing chem olympiad Qs, revising AS chemistry and making sure I know the technical stuff on my PS (some tutors use the PS as a starting point). :smile:

How about you? And how is your application going with the other unis? :smile:
Haven't started any real 'prep' yet (only looked at 1 chem olympiad question) - I wasn't really expecting an interview after the Imperial rejection. But I've done 5 mock interviews with the school (2 of which were Oxford-style).

I'm planning on doing chem olympiad Qs, revising AS chemistry and making sure I know the technical stuff on my PS (some tutors use the PS as a starting point). :smile:

How about you? And how is your application going with the other unis? :smile:

I was really shocked when I heard you got rejected from imperial, ur stats are amazing! And woah 5?? My only chemistry interview mock or real has only been my imperial interview! My school are fairly hesitant on arranging mock interviews with me :frown:

And I've just been having a break after imperial so will restart prep again soon. And so far have offers from Durham Warwick and Nottingham and Christ church interview at Oxford. Don't think my chances of Oxford are high tho, I just really want an offer from imperial! Thought my interview went well so if I get rejected now I'll be pretty devoed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was really shocked when I heard you got rejected from imperial, ur stats are amazing! And woah 5?? My only chemistry interview mock or real has only been my imperial interview! My school are fairly hesitant on arranging mock interviews with me :frown:

And I've just been having a break after imperial so will restart prep again soon. And so far have offers from Durham Warwick and Nottingham and Christ church interview at Oxford. Don't think my chances of Oxford are high tho, I just really want an offer from imperial! Thought my interview went well so if I get rejected now I'll be pretty devoed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not bothered about Imperial, I understand the rejection considering my subjects

Congrats on your offers :smile:

Any chance you could maybe PM me how your interview at Imperial went? Like the questions they asked and stuff?

Hopefully you get an offer :biggrin:

Oh! Just thought I would say that I also went to a mock interview arranged by St. Peter's College at the Oxford open day in September, which was quite good (we watched a first year do an interview - he was very clever!).
I'm not bothered about Imperial, I understand the rejection considering my subjects

Congrats on your offers :smile:

Any chance you could maybe PM me how your interview at Imperial went? Like the questions they asked and stuff?

Hopefully you get an offer :biggrin:

Oh! Just thought I would say that I also went to a mock interview arranged by St. Peter's College at the Oxford open day in September, which was quite good (we watched a first year do an interview - he was very clever!).

Yeah sure! And woah! That's cool! And thanks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
hey guys i also have an interview in a couple of weeks.
I studied
AQA psychology AS
Edexcel Maths AS
Edexcel Business AS
and OCR Chemistry AS
I got straight As for those subjects but i stil got rejected by imperial although i thought my application was quite competitive
So any interview tips amigos?
Original post by kjh980215
hey guys i also have an interview in a couple of weeks.
I studied
AQA psychology AS
Edexcel Maths AS
Edexcel Business AS
and OCR Chemistry AS
I got straight As for those subjects but i stil got rejected by imperial although i thought my application was quite competitive
So any interview tips amigos?

Ive only had one real chemistry interview (not had any mock interviews) and my biggest tip is to stay calm and don't feel pressured. I felt my performance was a lot better than I thought it was gunna be bc I stayed confident. The interviewers are there to help you, they don't expect you to get the answer immediately for some qns so make sure to ask if ure not sure! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
cheers man , i will try to prepare it by looking up some chem Olympiad questions,.. oh jesus christ, i had never thought in my life i would apply to uni of Oxford, like literally never..and now here i am, getting ready for interview
Original post by kjh980215
cheers man , i will try to prepare it by looking up some chem Olympiad questions,.. oh jesus christ, i had never thought in my life i would apply to uni of Oxford, like literally never..and now here i am, getting ready for interview

I'm exactly same as you! Only a few months ago I was adamant on thinking i wouldnt apply to Oxford! But then I thought... YOLO :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I have an interview at St Hilda's for Chemistry 14th-16th December. Quite nervous! Never thought I would get an interview!
Im doing these questions at the moment:

http://www.oxfordinterviewquestions.com/questions/chemistry/

some of them are LOL.
I was thinking about this: Can you change an endothermic reaction into an exothermic one?
Now according to Hess's law the enthalpy change during the reaction is independent of the route taken given the initial & final conditions are the same.
But what if you change the conditions? if you change the temperature the reaction will only get less/more feasible so I don't think you can do this. What do you think? :biggrin:
I'm also doing Olympiad questions btw.

My school told me they can't help me with an Oxford mock interview as nobody is qualified enough.... even my chemistry teacher ignores my Oxford interview so I'm not expecting much anyway..
Original post by Ligand
I have an interview at St Hilda's for Chemistry 14th-16th December. Quite nervous! Never thought I would get an interview!

Best of luck, your organic interviewer will probably be rob paton - one of oxfords nicest and youngest profs. Try to relax, verbalise your thought process and above all be passionate!

(4th Year Chemist)
Original post by MattRay94
Best of luck, your organic interviewer will probably be rob paton - one of oxfords nicest and youngest profs. Try to relax, verbalise your thought process and above all be passionate!

(4th Year Chemist)

Hello , i will have an interview on the same date as him and i was wondering if you can give us some tips..since you mentioned organic interview, im wondering if there are different kinds of interviews? The idea of even thinking of interview makes me so nervous now.. id appreciate any tips, thanks!
How did your interviews go? How many interviews did you have?
Original post by lawlieto
How did your interviews go? How many interviews did you have?

Had three interviews, first one was 6/10 second was 9/10 then third one at another college was around 7/10. Don't think I've done enough to get in but its chilled. Had a great time in Oxford tho! And u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had three interviews, first one was 6/10 second was 9/10 then third one at another college was around 7/10. Don't think I've done enough to get in but its chilled. Had a great time in Oxford tho! And u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had only two interviews, on of them was ok the other one went really well. I was shocked to see i wasn't re interviewed as 90% of the chemistry applicants were. Once an oxford admission tutor said they re interview applicants because they haven't decided about them yet.. so i dont know what was going on. Students said it doesnt mean anything but then why didn't i have a third interview haha?
I had only two interviews, on of them was ok the other one went really well. I was shocked to see i wasn't re interviewed as 90% of the chemistry applicants were. Once an oxford admission tutor said they re interview applicants because they haven't decided about them yet.. so i dont know what was going on. Students said it doesnt mean anything but then why didn't i have a third interview haha?

Chances are you got in! Esp cause one of your interviews went really well. Those who get sent home early are probably compiled of those with offers and those w/o offers. If ur interviews were pretty good like yours, you're in. One guy who got sent home early from mine said his interviews went shockingly bad so chances are he got rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chances are you got in! Esp cause one of your interviews went really well. Those who get sent home early are probably compiled of those with offers and those w/o offers. If ur interviews were pretty good like yours, you're in. One guy who got sent home early from mine said his interviews went shockingly bad so chances are he got rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to but in, but I'm in a similar position (kind of)! I was at Brasenose for chemistry (kind of fell in love with Brasenose :frown:), but didn't get invited for a third interview (10/17 were invited for a third out of the chemists at Brasenose). My first two interviews weren't anything amazing at all so it looks like I'm out. I kind of think they should have given me another chance at a different college, though :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending