The Student Room Group

Deadly 'Russian airstrike' hits market in Syria's Idlib

40 + innocent people dead which will no doubt be labelled as collateral damage.

Is Russia's war on isis or is it on the people on Syria? They claim it's the former yet isis aren't anywhere near Idlib and most of their strikes have been aimed at the revolutionaries.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/20-killed-russian-air-strike-syrian-market-151129082103978.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's controlled by the rebels, civilian casualties are inevitable in war
Reply 2
Original post by demx9

And our nonchalant attitude towards "inevitable civilian casualties" is one of the major stains on recent Western history and moral thought that has been going on for too long.
Reply 3
Russia has shown it's willing to pay a high price to keep assad in power. Any talk of fighting ISIS is just tacked on to give them more legitimacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by demx9

For both parties ?

I'm not sure you'd have the same response if 40 + Russians were gunned down in a high street somewhere in Moscow.
Reply 5
Original post by AlifunArnab
For both parties ?

I'm not sure you'd have the same response if 40 + Russians were gunned down in a high street somewhere in Moscow.

Russia is not a war zone last time I checked
Original post by Ascend
And our nonchalant attitude towards "inevitable civilian casualties" is one of the major stains on recent Western history and moral thought that has been going on for too long.

No, it is just an acceptance that mistakes happen in war.

The major stain on recent Western History and moral thought has been to be stand around whilst millions are made refugees and hundreds of thousands die at the hands of fascists.

Furthermore, I should add that it is the West's attitude towards "inevitable civilian casualties" that has led to a low civilian causality rate of 300 hundred civilian deaths in 7000 airstrikes.
(edited 8 years ago)
For both parties ?

No. A 100+ people died on the streets of Paris and that was on purpose.

The fact you cannot differentiate between the two means you are a troll or a fool.
most of their strikes have been aimed at the revolutionaries.

By "revolutionaries" you mean "primarily foreign radical Islamists", right?
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
Russia has shown it's willing to pay a high price to keep assad in power. Any talk of fighting ISIS is just tacked on to give them more legitimacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, they seem to have that legitimacy at the moment.

Original post by demx9
Russia is not a war zone last time I checked

Sorry, I completely forgot Russia can fly jets to wherever they want and attack a group of people with no accountability.

Original post by DorianGrayism
No. A 100+ people died on the streets of Paris and that was on purpose.

The fact you cannot differentiate between the two means you are a troll or a fool.

Consistently killing civilians 'accidentally' is no different to attacking them on purpose. Taking the precautions to AVOID civilians at all costs should be done by everyone involved. However, the fact people can downplay the killings of civilians as collateral damage is a complete joke.

However, forget about attacking civilians for a minute. Is it fair game if Russia attack a rebel group and the rebel group manage to enter Russia and shoot at Russian armed forces?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
By "revolutionaries" you mean "primarily foreign radical Islamists", right?

No.
No.

Not that I'd expect any different from someone who supports the use of stoning as a method of punishment.

Your agenda is obvious. :smile:
Reply 12
, I completely forgot Russia can fly jets to wherever they want and attack a group of people with no accountability.

Russia's help was asked by Assad, Putin didn't decide by himself to bomb the rebels.
They are all fighting under the same banner I don't buy the media propaganda all of them can go to hell

Consistently killing civilians 'accidentally' is no different to attacking them on purpose. Taking the precautions to AVOID civilians at all costs should be done by everyone involved. However, the fact people can downplay the killings of civilians

Actually, killing people accidentally is very different to killing them on purpose. All law codes from Western to Islamic are very clear on that. So I suggest you take a read.

Again, Western forces take great precautions avoiding civilian casualties. That is why there have been very few Civilian causalities in the 7000 airstrikes.

The only people who downplay the killings of Civilians are the left wing and Muslims who forget about the tens of thousands murdered by Fascists whilst moaning about the airstrikes which have killed hundreds by accident.

Anyone concerned about Civilians is advocating a full scale invasion under UN mandate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually, killing people accidentally is very different to killing them on purpose. All law codes from Western to Islamic are very clear on that. So I suggest you take a read.

Again, Western forces take great precautions avoiding civilian casualties. That is why there have been very few Civilian causalities in the 7000 airstrikes.

The only people who downplay the killings of Civilians are the left wing and Muslims who forget about the tens of thousands murdered by Fascists whilst moaning about the airstrikes.

Anyone concerned about Civilians is advocating a full scale invasion under UN mandate.

How us it accidental it is the same thing as terrorism
Original post by iamthetruth
How us it accidental it is the same thing as terrorism

Try writing it properly so it makes sense. I am not interested in statements. I am interested in reasoning.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Not that I'd expect any different from someone who supports the use of stoning as a method of punishment.

Your agenda is obvious. :smile:

Instead of wasting your time arguing with me, go and research the groups in Idlib to see for yourself whether they're mainly Syrian or foreign fighters.

Original post by demx9
Russia's help was asked by Assad, Putin didn't decide by himself to bomb the rebels.

Assad couldn't bomb as many civilians as he wanted to so he called his friend Putin to help.

The only people who downplay the killings of Civilians are the left wing and Muslims who forget about the tens of thousands murdered by Fascists whilst moaning about the airstrikes which have killed hundreds by accident.

When we talk about accidentally, I mean trying to the best of your ability to avoid civilians and if they're targeted, then it's unfortunate.

However, when you're bombing a marketplace or a wedding, I simply refuse to believe that it was careful planning. It was negligence and a disregard for those civilian lives. If you consistently kill civilians day in, day out and claim it's collateral, is it any different to purposely targeting them?

You also didn't answer this :

Is it fair game if Russia attack a rebel group and the rebel group manage to enter Russia and shoot at Russian armed forces?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Assad couldn't bomb as many civilians as he wanted to so he called his friend Putin to help.

Well then the rebels shouldn't have started the civil war, we know middle eastern countries just can't be stable without a dictator in place. Syria was a decent country before the war, and without Assad it will just become a complete mess like Libya and Iraq.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending