The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Applying as a Mature Student, Marine Biology with Foundation Year

Good afternoon all,

Hope you're well.

I'm going to be applying to the Marine Biology with Foundation Year at Southampton university and wondered if I could have some guidance along the way.

I'm 29 and moving to Southampton with my partner. He'll be working and I'll be at uni for the 4 years. So we'll be living together in private accommodation.

My questions at the moment are:

1. The foundation year in Science - How many days a week are spent at Uni in lectures etc, it is a 9-5 type of thing? Is it wise to get a part time job or is it pretty time consuming?

2. Student Loans - Do there tend to be bursaries available for Mature students wanting to study Marine Biology at Southampton? I'm struggling to find information on this online and the last few days the Student Loans website has been down.

3. Personal Statement - I have a distinction in Marine Biology Level 3 diploma, I have volunteered at a marine aquatic store, worked at a Marine online forum, written an article and had my marine tank featured in a Marine fish keeping magazine, helped provide a Jellyfish tank for The One Show, privately imported and carried out amateur research on seaweeds, algae, corals and starfish. I've also bred clownfish, cultured various types of plankton and developed feeding systems for the industry. Is this the kind of thing I should be covering in my statement? I also have 13 years of various work experience with a lot of transferrable skills.

4. Extra curricular involvement - Are there opportunities whilst I'm doing my foundation to volunteer/work part time at the university research facilities to gain experience in my own time?

Thanks for your help.
Hi there!

I'm a mature student looking to apply for marine biology at Southampton next year. I would be really interested to hear about your experience so far if you went through with the above!

Thanks.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending