The Student Room Group

Eastern EU nations say they'll never agree to limit UK benefits for their immigrants

Thoughts?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/622919/Cameron-told-EU-negotiations-will-NEVER-happen-as-Eastern-Europe-plot-to-stop-benefits-cap

Should we just Brexit & then we have the power to stop them claiming benefits without a contribution e.g. 4 years as proposed

Scroll to see replies

No, because they are right. Doing so would violate free movement. It would be the same as breaching the Treaties.

It's akin to Scotland demanding it be part of the UK but have the right to deny benefits to English people. It would rightly be seen as unreasonable.
Original post by gladders
No, because they are right. Doing so would violate free movement. It would be the same as breaching the Treaties.

It's akin to Scotland demanding it be part of the UK but have the right to deny benefits to English people. It would rightly be seen as unreasonable.

but scotland and england are regions of a nation. romania and the UK aren't two parts of one nation, unless you're trying to imply that the european union is or ought to be a nation/federation? besides, why is free movement even a priority? freedom of movement *out* of a country is obviously a civil liberty of citizens of a nation, seeing as to force people to exist within that government's nation would be authoritarianism, but for people *outside* of that nation, our government has nothing to do with at all, so it's not authoritarian simply to have checks on immigration for our own national benefit, not theirs. this nation/state exists for us, not them, because we are citizens of that territory, not them. the whole premise of the EU's freedom of movement is ridiculous. it has nothing to do with efficiency or free trade (of properties/goods, seeing as people aren't goods). to suggest that unlimited access of other european countries is important to trade when it may inflate/distort industries or geographies is insane.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ace123
Thoughts?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/622919/Cameron-told-EU-negotiations-will-NEVER-happen-as-Eastern-Europe-plot-to-stop-benefits-cap

Should we just Brexit & then we have the power to stop them claiming benefits without a contribution e.g. 4 years as proposed

With this being nothing close to what the country wants (controlled immigration) (this was a way of trying to reduce it), a Brexit is now looking very very likely indeed.
Original post by Ace123
Thoughts?

We don't need to to leave the EU, it's about waiting. Other countries are acting tough and trying to pressure on us but ultimately we put a lot in Europe and support a lot of the more western European countries.

The source is biased against the EU and isn't really exploring the situation to the full extent. Give it time. We'll get a fair proportion of what we want.
Original post by sleepysnooze
but scotland and england are regions of a nation. romania and the UK aren't two parts of one nation, unless you're trying to imply that the european union is or ought to be a nation/federation? besides, why is free movement even a priority? freedom of movement *out* of a country is obviously a civil liberty of citizens of a nation, seeing as to force people to exist within that government's nation would be authoritarianism, but for people *outside* of that nation, our government has nothing to do with at all, so it's not authoritarian simply to have checks on immigration for our own national benefit, not theirs. this nation/state exists for us, not them, because we are citizens of that territory, not them. the whole premise of the EU's freedom of movement is ridiculous. it has nothing to do with efficiency or free trade (of properties/goods, seeing as people aren't goods). to suggest that unlimited access of other european countries is important to trade when it may inflate/distort industries or geographies is insane.

Not at all. I'm saying that for Scotland to do so would violate the basis of the Treaty of Union between our two countries. It doesn't matter whether that Treaty creates a nation, an alliance, or something else - to demand that you are permitted to do something which violates the very basis of that Treaty is akin to demanding the destruction of that Treaty outright.

Try another example: demanding NATO repeal Article 5.
Not at all. I'm saying that for Scotland to do so would violate the basis of the Treaty of Union between our two countries. It doesn't matter whether that Treaty creates a nation, an alliance, or something else - to demand that you are permitted to do something which violates the very basis of that Treaty is akin to demanding the destruction of that Treaty outright.

Try another example: demanding NATO repeal Article 5.

so from your perspective, you think that I'm arguing more about the fact that we must/mustn't follow treaties, as opposed to the fact that the treaty concerning immigration and the european union is bad in my opinion? it's as if I was saying "the war on drugs/terror isn't working" and you answered back "this is the law and the government must uphold it!" as if what I was saying has absolutely no normative/subjective value as a matter of discussion.
(edited 8 years ago)
The phrase no **** comes to mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by EricAteYou
We don't need to to leave the EU, it's about waiting. Other countries are acting tough and trying to pressure on us but ultimately we put a lot in Europe and support a lot of the more western European countries.

The source is biased against the EU and isn't really exploring the situation to the full extent. Give it time. We'll get a fair proportion of what we want.

The point is we do need to leave the EU, to stop benefits we need all 28 EU nations to agree and the Eastern nations never will
Original post by Ace123
The point is we do need to leave the EU, to stop benefits we need all 28 EU nations to agree and the Eastern nations never will

I know what you mean - however, if we do leave the EU we'll end up being worse off! The money we're giving away will just be deffered through longer and more tenuous trade deals ( it'll become harder and more expensive to trade ). Sadly either way won't be perfect so it's looking at what will hurt the least.
Original post by Ace123

Before we do anything hasty, could anyone tell me how much we pay out in benefits to EU migrants compared to how much they pay in tax?

We often think of benefits as the money people get for not working, but forget that there are many in-work benefits like tax credits and child benefit. Working people who pay good taxes also get these benefits and if they are filling a gap in the labour market that would not be filled otherwise, then migration can be seen as a good thing.

For example, the NHS would be stuffed without migration.
Original post by sleepysnooze
so from your perspective, you think that I'm arguing more about the fact that we must/mustn't follow treaties, as opposed to the fact that the treaty concerning immigration and the european union is bad in my opinion? it's as if I was saying "the war on drugs/terror isn't working" and you answered back "this is the law and the government must uphold it!" as if what I was saying has absolutely no normative/subjective value as a matter of discussion.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that your demand is pretty much tearing down the raison d'etre for the EU. So cut the nonsense and just say you dislike the EU's basic premise, and stop pretending it's something that can be negotiated on?

Furthermore, the reason it exists is because the Member States unanimously signed up to it in the founding treaties. The rest of the EU (and the UK, for that matter) considers it a worthwhile endeavour. If the UK doesn't want it and they do, then it's them exercising their sovereign rights to insist upon it, and it's our sovereign right (if a stupid one IMO) to leave if we wish.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that your demand is pretty much tearing down the raison d'etre for the EU. So cut the nonsense and just say you dislike the EU's basic premise, and stop pretending it's something that can be negotiated on?

Furthermore, the reason it exists is because the Member States unanimously signed up to it in the founding treaties. The rest of the EU (and the UK, for that matter) considers it a worthwhile endeavour. If the UK doesn't want it and they do, then it's them exercising their sovereign rights to insist upon it, and it's our sovereign right (if a stupid one IMO) to leave if we wish.

you really think the UK thinks free movement of people from eastern europe to here is a good idea? I don't know what world you live in
Original post by balanced
With this being nothing close to what the country wants (controlled immigration) (this was a way of trying to reduce it), a Brexit is now looking very very likely indeed.

It is just a shame that what the country wants is not something the country appears to be able to achieve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34071492
Net non EU-immigration up by 39,000 to 196,000 as opposed to 183,000 EU citizens.

Meanwhile some think that this might change if we were to leave the EU. I think not.
Reply 14
Of course the Eastern Europeans want to keep getting benefits from the UK, why is this news?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
It is just a shame that what the country wants is not something the country appears to be able to achieve.

Net non EU-immigration up by 39,000 to 196,000 as opposed to 183,000 EU citizens.

Meanwhile some think that this might change if we were to leave the EU. I think not.

Why not?
Original post by balanced
Why not?

We have the power to stop non-EU immigrants coming to this country. We could make Visas harder to obtain. We could do much more stringent border checks and a whole load more I am not aware of.

Yet in the last year, 196,000 people from outside the EU came to Britain through immigration control perfectly legally.

So my point, is that if we can't control the immigration we can control, what chance of stopping EU immigration do we have?

It is also worth bearing in mind that a year or so ago, our darling Theresa May imposed tighter border controls, but when returning holiday makers had to wait 6+ hours to get though passport control, her knee jerked so hard she hit her head on the U-turn.
Original post by ByEeek

What is your point. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), all non-EU nationals have to go through a process of applying to get entry into the UK before they can get in? Therefore the positive migration from other non-EU countries is done by the UK for positive reasons? I.e with India there are skilled workers which is useful?? Are you saying you think all immigration to this country is bad?
Original post by ByEeek
We have the power to stop non-EU immigrants coming to this country. We could make Visas harder to obtain. We could do much more stringent border checks and a whole load more I am not aware of.

Yet in the last year, 196,000 people from outside the EU came to Britain through immigration control perfectly legally.

So my point, is that if we can't control the immigration we can control, what chance of stopping EU immigration do we have?

It is also worth bearing in mind that a year or so ago, our darling Theresa May imposed tighter border controls, but when returning holiday makers had to wait 6+ hours to get though passport control, her knee jerked so hard she hit her head on the U-turn.

you forget we are speaking of the party of mass-immigration, the conservatives.
Original post by ByEeek

Yes we do have the power to stop none eu migration if we kept letting in all those none eu migrants plus 150k eu migrants after leaving it would 100k net

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending