The Student Room Group

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

Poll

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU

So as part of the immigration 'deal' the EU have agreed to give Turkey visa free travel to Europe & accession talks have restarted

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/29/us-europe-migrants-turkey-idUSKBN0TI00520151129

So do you think Turkey should be allowed to join the EU (which includes all 75 million Turks getting the right to free movement to the UK)?

Scroll to see replies

if Turkey doesn't join EU, western countries will lose all connection with muslim countries.

Turkey is the most secular and modern country for Islam. All other countries are for more extreme.

Try it if you want, you will lose all connection with muslim countries. you won't be able to communicate them.

Turkey is like a bridge between england,france and saudi arabia, pakistan.

countries like pakistan&france can not get along. they are different in nature. Turkey can get along with west and east.
75 million people form a country with a £6700 annual minimum wage being allowed entry to the UK where the annual minimum wage is £11000. No thank! How much is a flight to Australia?
Original post by Madeline_H95
75 million people form a country with a £6700 annual minimum wage being allowed entry to the UK where the annual minimum wage is £11000. No thank! How much is a flight to Australia?

but corrupt economies such as greece&poland being allowed to travel?

double standards much? maybe because they're christian ?
Original post by Menakshelatte
but corrupt economies such as greece&poland being allowed to travel?

double standards much? maybe because they're christian ?

Stop putting words in my mouth, you mentioned religion, not me. I'm against freedom of movement al together. I want visas to be used on everyone to only allow immigrants in who will contribute. Include Green and Poland and most of Europe in that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stop putting words in my mouth, you mentioned religion, not me. I'm against freedom of movement al together. I want visas to be used on everyone to only allow immigrants in who will contribute. Include Green and Poland and most of Europe in that.

This argument is understandable.

but since what you are stating above is not possible at the moment (it is utopia), equality is what is needed.
This argument is understandable.

but since what you are stating above is not possible at the moment (it is utopia), equality is what is needed.

Equality is disastrous. To start reversing the tragic policies of mass immigration and freedom of movement the number of countries participating needs to be reduced or maintained. Increasing it makes the problem harder to correct at a later date.
Equality is disastrous. To start reversing the tragic policies of mass immigration and freedom of movement the number of countries participating needs to be reduced or maintained. Increasing it makes the problem harder to correct at a later date.

what you are saying is a wrong decision.
Reply 8

Turkey is the most secular and modern country for Islam. All other countries are for more extreme.

Just because other Muslim countries are more extreme we should let Turkey in the EU?

It would mean that the EU will have a common border with Iran, Irak, and Syria. Mafia will enjoy this.
Reply 9
what you are saying is a wrong decision.

Strong argument.
Reply 10
Who's the Turk that voted yes ?
hell no
Original post by Josb
Just because other Muslim countries are more extreme we should let Turkey in the EU?

It would mean that the EU will have a common border with Iran, Irak, and Syria. Mafia will enjoy this.

Turkey is not like pakistan, iran irak.

it is secular.

as long as you don't go overboard, you can wear bikini's mini skirts anything you want there.

it is not as modern as uk. but it is not like other places.

we are much stronger than greece, polan, romania for economy.
No, it'll be another tide of migrants from a weaker economy to stronger ones, not to mention Turkey right now really doesn't meet with EU standards what with Erdogan a proto-dictator and his authoritarian near-theocratic party.

Also Turkey is too heavily tied to middle-east bull****, and the EU is dealing with enough of that.

Assuming the EU was working the way I'd want it, I'd happily want Turkey in to, but it really needs to strengthen it's checks and balances, do away with parties and politicians like Erdogan, and generally strengthen it's judicial, democratic and liberal credentials.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
No, it'll be another tide of migrants from a weaker economy to stronger ones, not to mention Turkey right now really doesn't meet with EU standards what with Erdogan a proto-dictator and his authoritarian near-theocratic party.

Also Turkey is too heavily tied to middle-east bull****, and the EU is dealing with enough of that.

Assuming the EU was working the way I'd want it, I'd happily want Turkey in to, but it really needs to strengthen it's checks and balances, do away with parties and politicians like Erdogan, and generally strengthen it's judicial, democratic and liberal credentials.

we don't need to immigrate, we already have a strong economy.

we are not like poland, romania or greece or bulgaria.
Original post by Ace123
So as part of the immigration 'deal' the EU have agreed to give Turkey visa free travel to Europe & accession talks have restarted

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/29/us-europe-migrants-turkey-idUSKBN0TI00520151129

So do you think Turkey should be allowed to join the EU (which includes all 75 million Turks getting the right to free movement to the UK)?

You're taking as if you think that in the event Turkey is accepted into the EU every Turkish citizen would flock to the UK. Besides, boiling the debate on whether Turkey should be part of the EU down to issues over immigration (into the UK) is a massive oversimplification.
Reply 16

it is secular.

For how long?

we don't need to immigrate, we already have a strong economy.

:lol:

Yeah, as if the Kurds were not going to go to the EU and claim political asylum.
You're all mad if you think Turkey should join The EU.

According to Pew Research, 8% of the population has a favourable attitude towards the group known as ISIS (THAT'S 6.2 MILLION PEOPLE). 19% of the population selected 'don't know' when asked the question whether they had a favourable attitude towards ISIS or not.

If such a significant minority has a favourable opinion of the worst, most extreme outcome of Islam, what about the rest of the population which believes in other 'less barbaric' facets of Islam, all of which share a common feature of being opposed to liberal individualism?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
For how long?

:lol:

Yeah, as if the Kurds were not going to go to the EU and claim political asylum.

1.For very long. we will be secular for very long.

2.I don't care about kurds. I am not kurdish.
Reply 19
if Turkey doesn't join EU, western countries will lose all connection with muslim countries.Turkey is the most secular and modern country for Islam. All other countries are for more extreme.Try it if you want, you will lose all connection with muslim countries. you won't be able to communicate them.Turkey is like a bridge between england,france and saudi arabia, pakistan.countries like pakistan&france can not get along. they are different in nature. Turkey can get along with west and east.

You're talking absolute ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending