The Student Room Group

Momentum question

I am really stuck on this question, please help! THANK YOU!!

A golf club collides elastically with a golf ball and gives it an initial velocity of 60ms^-1. If the ball is in contact with the club for 15ms, and the mass of the ball is 2.0x10^-2 kg, calculate the size of:
a) the impulse given to the ball
b) the impulse given to the club
c) the initial kinetic energy to the ball
d) the average force exerted on the ball by the club
e) the work done on the ball and note the relationship between the work done on the ball and the initial kinetic energy to the ball
Give me a second im doing it now!!!

YOUR MISSING OUT INFOOOO
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by justthatboy
Give me a second im doing it now!!!

Thank you justthatboy! Really appreciate your help!
YOUR missing out info what is the intial velocity of the golf balls etc?? just making sure. Is that all the question includes
YOUR missing out info what is the intial velocity of the golf balls etc?? just making sure. Is that all the question includes

This is all of the information that i am provided in the question.

It's likely to be assumed that the golf ball is at rest
Original post by Shinjimonkey
This is all of the information that i am provided in the question.

My mistake neve read the question properly ok, I got it
I'm typing it
my mistake neve read the question properly ok, i got it
i'm typing it

thank you!!!
I take the right to be positive, which is the direction the golf ball is going.
SO I assume impulse is in the right direction of the golf ball( which it is becauseimpulse is force multiplied by time and the force acting on the golf ball is in the right direction)
IMPULSE= m(V-U)
IMPULSE=2*10^-2(60-0)
IMPULSE=1.2 (NS)

newton third law states that every force has a equal and opposite force (remember I said that impulse is force multiplies by time. Therefore the impulse on the golf club is the same as the impulse on the golf ball) you can also think of impulse as rate of force so the rate of force on both objects is the same ( newtons third law) therefore the impulse actin on both objects is the same
answer= 1.2

0.5*m*v^2
0.5*(2*10^-2)(60)^2
answer= 36 (j)

impulse= force* time

therefore average force is

force= impulse/time
force= 1.2/ (15*10^-3)
fore= 80

work done on the ball is equal to the kinetic energy. This is because the ball has no energy now it has 36 joules of energy (where does this energy come from) I supply that kinetic energy by doing work on the ball which is equal to 36 joules.
SO I assume impulse is in the right direction of the golf ball( which it is becauseimpulse is force multiplied by time and the force acting on the golf ball is in the right direction)
IMPULSE= m(V-U)
IMPULSE=2*10^-2(60-0)
IMPULSE=1.2 (NS)

newton third law states that every force has a equal and opposite force (remember I said that impulse is force multiplies by time. Therefore the impulse on the golf club is the same as the impulse on the golf ball) you can also think of impulse as rate of force so the rate of force on both objects is the same ( newtons third law) therefore the impulse actin on both objects is the same
answer= 1.2

0.5*m*v^2
0.5*(2*10^-2)(60)^2
answer= 36 (j)

impulse= force* time

therefore average force is

force= impulse/time
force= 1.2/ (15*10^-3)
fore= 80

work done on the ball is equal to the kinetic energy. This is because the ball has no energy now it has 36 joules of energy (where does this energy come from) I supply that kinetic energy by doing work on the ball which is equal to 36 joules.

You are the best. Thank you so much.
rep me plzzzzzz
rep me plzzzzzz

sorry what does that mean? I just got this, so I still don't know some of the functions on this website.
Original post by Shinjimonkey
sorry what does that mean? I just got this, so I still don't know some of the functions on this website.

It means love me.
IMPULSE= m(V-U)

We are asked NOT to post full solutions on here - just give a hint. The OP won't learn if you do the example for them.

This would have been enough ....
lesson learned

Quick Reply

Latest