The Student Room Group

Differentiating trig by first principles

Please see photo where I prove that sinx differentiates to cosx.
Why do we use the fact that as dx approaches 0, sindx approaches dx, but we ignore that as dx approaches 0, sindx approaches 0?
Surely these two points are equally significant and should both be included in this proof? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1448820529.849342.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anoymous1111
Why do we use the fact that as dx approaches 0, sindx approaches dx, but we ignore that as dx approaches 0, sindx approaches 0?
Surely these two points are equally significant and should both be included in this proof? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1448820529.849342.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

A brief comment:
It's more conventional to consider small δx\delta x first, and then consider the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 which is then written dxdx.
The reason for this is that it helps clear up the confusion, as you can see, both the numerator and the denominator have a δx\delta x term, which tend to zero at the same rate, and we see that:
cos(x)δxδx=cos(x)1=cos(x)\cos(x) \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x} =\cos(x) \cdot 1=\cos(x).

If you had a (δx)2(\delta x)^2 term in the numerator, as can appear in more complicated proofs, then you would be right in worrying about the additional factor:
cos(x)(δx)2δx=cos(x)δx0\cos(x) \dfrac{(\delta x)^2}{\delta x} =\cos(x) \cdot \delta x \rightarrow 0 as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
A brief comment:
It's more conventional to consider small δx\delta x first, and then consider the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 which is then written dxdx.
The reason for this is that it helps clear up the confusion, as you can see, both the numerator and the denominator have a δx\delta x term, which tend to zero at the same rate, and we see that:
cos(x)δxδx=cos(x)1=cos(x)\cos(x) \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x} =\cos(x) \cdot 1=\cos(x).

If you had a (δx)2(\delta x)^2 term in the numerator, as can appear in more complicated proofs, then you would be right in worrying about the additional factor:
cos(x)(δx)2δx=cos(x)δx0\cos(x) \dfrac{(\delta x)^2}{\delta x} =\cos(x) \cdot \delta x \rightarrow 0 as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0.

By dx I meant small delta X I just don't know how to write it properly. I'm still a bit confused though with regards to my original question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
By dx I meant small delta X I just don't know how to write it properly. I'm still a bit confused though with regards to my original question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essentially, you write sin(δx)δx\sin(\delta x) \approx \delta x for small δx\delta x, you worry about taking the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 after writing δxδx=1\dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x}=1.
Clearly, limδx01=1\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}1=1.
Original post by joostan
Essentially, you write sin(δx)δx\sin(\delta x) \approx \delta x for small δx\delta x, you worry about taking the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 after writing δxδx=1\dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x}=1.
Clearly, limδx01=1\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0}1=1.

I see what you mean but I don't feel you're explaining why this is the case. Sorry to be annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I see what you mean but I don't feel you're explaining why this is the case. Sorry to be annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you see that:
sin(δx)δxδxδx=1\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \approx \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x} = 1?
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, but what you've written there is not a 'proof'. And "sin dx approaches dx" (or "sin (delta x) approaches delta x") is not a mathematical statement either.

Is this an argument you've come up with yourself, or is this following an example given in a book somewhere?

Sorry to be picky - it's right to want to understand how a proof works, but you absolutely have to start with something that is properly constructed in the first place!
Reply 7
Original post by davros
I'm sorry, but what you've written there is not a 'proof'. And "sin dx approaches dx" (or "sin (delta x) approaches delta x":wink: is not a mathematical statement either.

Is this an argument you've come up with yourself, or is this following an example given in a book somewhere?

Sorry to be picky - it's right to want to understand how a proof works, but you absolutely have to start with something that is properly constructed in the first place!

I think this is an A-level "proof" I seem to recall reading something virtually identical in my textbook a few years ago.
I do, however, agree the write up could do with some work.
Original post by davros
I'm sorry, but what you've written there is not a 'proof'. And "sin dx approaches dx" (or "sin (delta x) approaches delta x") is not a mathematical statement either.

My maths teacher told me this was correct but obviously it is not then....can you tell me what's wrong with it because just saying it is wrong isn't very helpful. Also I just called it a proof because I didn't know what else to call it...let's not be too OTT now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan
Can you see that:
sin(δx)δxδxδx=1\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \approx \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x} = 1?

Yes of course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan
I think this is an A-level "proof" I seem to recall reading something virtually identical in my textbook a few years ago.

Yes it's just a level and it was only very quick because most people didn't want to know. Maybe if I understood it/saw a better write up then I wouldn't have this problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you guys all at uni now or what? I'm interested to know. Sorry if I sound stupid...I promise I'm not....I am a scholar and have already 3 offers to study maths. I just find it hard to understand things I haven't been taught...as anyone would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then surely: cos(x)sin(δx)δxcos(x)δxδx=cos(x)\cos(x)\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \approx \cos(x) \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x}=\cos(x).
With a little hand-waving,you can slip in an equals sign because the smaller δx\delta x gets the better the approximation above becomes.

In the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 it can be shown that, indeed, sin(δx)δx1\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \rightarrow 1.
(There are a variety of ways to do this, though the ones I know are beyond the scope of an A-Level course, they shouldn't be all that hard to follow. If you're interested, a quick google search will provide some examples, the easiest method is probably to use L'Hôpital - but not in this case.)

Are you guys all at uni now or what? I'm interested to know. Sorry if I sound stupid...I promise I'm not....I am a scholar and have already 3 offers to study maths. I just find it hard to understand things I haven't been taught...as anyone would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm a second year mathmo. Davros is more experienced than me, especially at explaining stuff. (I'm reasonably sure he's a teacher - provided memory serves).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
My maths teacher told me this was correct but obviously it is not then....can you tell me what's wrong with it because just saying it is wrong isn't very helpful. Also I just called it a proof because I didn't know what else to call it...let's not be too OTT now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if I was sounding harsh - I appreciate that you are an A level student and this must be frustrating. If you'd said something like "is this OK as a plausible argument why the derivative of sin x is cos x?" then I would probably not have commented. My real concern is whether something like this is being presented as a 'proof' in a textbook, because it's really not precise enough to be called a proof :smile:

Original post by joostan

The problem is really with the innocent-looking statement "sinhh\sin h \approx h when h is small" (I'm using h instead of delta x just to simplify my typing!). We all tend to look at this and say "Oh yes, sin h is approximately equal to h", but what does that actually mean mathematically? For example, it's true that x2xx^2 \approx x when x is close to 0 because both quantities are close to 0, but that doesn't mean we can deduce that x2/x1x^2 / x \to 1 as x->0 - we know that the limit is in fact 0.

What we need here is actually that (sin h)/h -> 1 as h->0 and this is in fact the case, provided that h is measured in radians.

For info, here's what I regard as the 'standard' A level proof that the OP needs - taken from the 'bible' Bostock & Chandler. I assumed it was included in all standard A level texts,
but perhaps I'm just terribly naive :smile:
BCProof.jpg
Original post by joostan
Then surely: cos(x)sin(δx)δxcos(x)δxδx=cos(x)\cos(x)\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \approx \cos(x) \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta x}=\cos(x).
With a little hand-waving,you can slip in an equals sign because the smaller δx\delta x gets the better the approximation above becomes.

In the limit as δx0\delta x \rightarrow 0 it can be shown that, indeed, sin(δx)δx1\dfrac{\sin(\delta x)}{\delta x} \rightarrow 1.
(There are a variety of ways to do this, though the ones I know are beyond the scope of an A-Level course, they shouldn't be all that hard to follow. If you're interested, a quick google search will provide some examples, the easiest method is probably to use L'Hôpital.)

Yeah, I'm a second year mathmo. Davros is more experienced than me, especially at explaining stuff. (I'm reasonably sure he's a teacher - provided memory serves).

Yes that does all make sense! Thank you very much for your replies. Hopefully I'll be at your level one day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by joostan

(There are a variety of ways to do this, though the ones I know are beyond the scope of an A-Level course, they shouldn't be all that hard to follow. If you're interested, a quick google search will provide some examples, the easiest method is probably to use L'Hôpital.)

Please, please don't suggest l'Hopital here! l'Hopital would be an example of circular reasoning, because in order to evaluate the limit of (sin x) / x as x->0 you need to know the derivative of sin x at x = 0, and you can't calculate that without knowing what the limit is first!

I'm not actually a teacher, but thanks for the compliment :smile:

I graduated many years ago and have worked in several industries, but more recently I have spent an increasing amount of time helping to explain things to students on TSR.
Original post by davros
Sorry if I was sounding harsh - I appreciate that you are an A level student and this must be frustrating. If you'd said something like "is this OK as a plausible argument why the derivative of sin x is cos x?" then I would probably not have commented. My real concern is whether something like this is being presented as a 'proof' in a textbook, because it's really not precise enough to be called a proof :smile:

The problem is really with the innocent-looking statement "sinhh\sin h \approx h when h is small" (I'm using h instead of delta x just to simplify my typing!). We all tend to look at this and say "Oh yes, sin h is approximately equal to h", but what does that actually mean mathematically? For example, it's true that x2xx^2 \approx x when x is close to 0 because both quantities are close to 0, but that doesn't mean we can deduce that x2/x1x^2 / x \to 1 as x->0 - we know that the limit is in fact 0.

What we need here is actually that (sin h)/h -> 1 as h->0 and this is in fact the case, provided that h is measured in radians.

For info, here's what I regard as the 'standard' A level proof that the OP needs - taken from the 'bible' Bostock & Chandler. I assumed it was included in all standard A level texts,
BCProof.jpg

I agree, hence I mentioned the hand-waving. It looks A-level to me, though I must profess it's been a while.
The proof in that book does however skim over the evaluation of the limit:
limδx0sin(δx2)δx2\displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \dfrac{\sin(\frac{\delta x}{2})}{\frac{\delta x}{2}}. In a way that I think the OP may have found dissatisfactory.

Original post by davros
Please, please don't suggest l'Hopital here! l'Hopital would be an example of circular reasoning, because in order to evaluate the limit of (sin x) / x as x->0 you need to know the derivative of sin x at x = 0, and you can't calculate that without knowing what the limit is first!

Good point - tbh wasn't really thinking about differentiating anymore.
Reply 17
Original post by joostan
The proof in that book does however skim over the evaluation of the limit:
limδx0sin(δx2)δx2\displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \dfrac{\sin(\frac{\delta x}{2})}{\frac{\delta x}{2}}. In a way that I think the OP may have found dissatisfactory.

Because that's another standard A level result that is proved earlier in B&C :biggrin:

I haven't got time to find / scan the original but this is something even simpler that just relies on taking a sector of a circle with central angle x, drawing a chord and a tangent and working out lower and upper bounds for the sector area, then dividing through by sin x and considering what happens as x gets close to 0 (radians).

I have to say, both this and the sin x derivative proof are things that I thought all standard A level books still covered, but maybe this is no longer the case :frown:
Original post by davros

BCProof.jpg

Thank you very much. I really do appreciate your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Thank you very much. I really do appreciate your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad I was able to help somehow :smile:

Tbh, you should be able to rely on your teacher(s) and A level textbooks a lot more, but they are not always as good as they should be :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest