The Student Room Group

Is Nursing considered as a STEM degree

I think nursing should be considered as STEM because at the moment I do Anatomy and Physiology as one of my unit for Health and Social Care and some of the stuff covered can be seen as medical science, seriously hard to grasp.

So, why is nursing not considered as a STEM degree? Just wondering, afterall, you do learn science when doing the degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
I think nursing should be considered as STEM because at the moment I do Anatomy and Physiology as one of my unit for Health and Social Care and some of the stuff covered can be seen as medical science, seriously hard to grasp.

So, why is nursing not considered as a STEM degree? Just wondering, afterall, you do learn science when doing the degree.

It's on the government stem list:smile: (it's just not considered a typical science by people I guess)
Reply 2
LOL, you are always the one to reply when it comes to nursing, thanks

If the government sees it as STEM then why do people think otherwise? if its government then people should abide and see it as STEM.
Reply 3
@claireestelle
LOL, you are always the one to reply when it comes to nursing, thanks

If the government sees it as STEM then why do people think otherwise? if its government then people should abide and see it as STEM.

Probably because out of the other healthcare degrees it has a lot more care work than it does typical science.
Reply 5
Original post by harinimnida
Probably because out of the other healthcare degrees it has a lot more care work than it does typical science.

Hmm....I guess so
Nursing is far more of a social degree than a science degree. Yes, you cover anatomy and physiology but to a very limited degree. There is no independent scientific research, nor do you cover the scientific content much more than a-level biology standard.

It may be controversial but I believe nursing should be more scientific. Yes, its a caring profession, but nurses need to understand why they do the things they do and how treatments and illnesses affect patients, much more than we do. I never did any pharmacology and a lot of stuff we were expected to learn on placement. Which then depended hugely on the person you had mentoring you.

So in essence, I don't believe nursing is a STEM degree. But I don't think its appropriate to try and lump it in with other degrees. Nursing (and midwifery) is a pretty unique degree.

It is a STEM degree! At least you're studying something useful, not like classics or theology ( no offence to those students)
Reply 8
Original post by ForestCat
Nursing is far more of a social degree than a science degree. Yes, you cover anatomy and physiology but to a very limited degree. There is no independent scientific research, nor do you cover the scientific content much more than a-level biology standard.

It may be controversial but I believe nursing should be more scientific. Yes, its a caring profession, but nurses need to understand why they do the things they do and how treatments and illnesses affect patients, much more than we do. I never did any pharmacology and a lot of stuff we were expected to learn on placement. Which then depended hugely on the person you had mentoring you.

So in essence, I don't believe nursing is a STEM degree. But I don't think its appropriate to try and lump it in with other degrees. Nursing (and midwifery) is a pretty unique degree.

So nurses don't know why they do what they do?

How about paramedic science, is that STEM?
Reply 9
Original post by hoping4Astars
It is a STEM degree! At least you're studying something useful, not like classics or theology ( no offence to those students)

Ohh OK how about paramedic science.
So nurses don't know why they do what they do?

How about paramedic science, is that STEM?

I don't believe there is enough physiology and pharmacology covered in nursing, no. So whilst we do understand the basics of why we give certain treatments, I don't believe we are taught nearly enough at university.

I think because of the nature of healthcare degrees, such as nursing and paramedic science, they aren't able to be classed like other degrees. Half the time is spent of placement. Most of the content is directly focussed on one career at the end, unlike the vast majority of science degrees.

By the way, why do you care?
Snice nursing is somewhat science bases I was wondering if its stem as I was think o doing nursing.

Nursing is undervalued

I don't believe there is enough physiology and pharmacology covered in nursing, no. So whilst we do understand the basics of why we give certain treatments, I don't believe we are taught nearly enough at university.

I think because of the nature of healthcare degrees, such as nursing and paramedic science, they aren't able to be classed like other degrees. Half the time is spent of placement. Most of the content is directly focussed on one career at the end, unlike the vast majority of science degrees.

By the way, why do you care?
Snice nursing is somewhat science bases I was wondering if its stem as I was think o doing nursing.

Nursing is undervalued

If you want to be a nurse, go for it. It really doesn't matter if its STEM or not.

Nursing may be undervalued, but trying to make it fit a label is not going to make people value it more. It isn't a STEM degree, its not a pure science degree. Its not a pure subject degree. Its a mix of science concepts, sociology and a lot of practical, hands on skills and caring. The majority of nurses are extremely proud of their profession, they don't need a label to make them proud, they just recognise the good they do.
I so want to help vulnerable children and use my language skills and maje differences but at the same time I do want to live comftably like anyone else.

I have heard nursing is hectic and you could loss your licence if something with with patient goes wrong and you have no choice sometimes but to do overtime.

My phone is slow so can't reply quickly

If you want to be a nurse, go for it. It really doesn't matter if its STEM or not.

Nursing may be undervalued, but trying to make it fit a label is not going to make people value it more. It isn't a STEM degree, its not a pure science degree. Its not a pure subject degree. Its a mix of science concepts, sociology and a lot of practical, hands on skills and caring. The majority of nurses are extremely proud of their profession, they don't need a label to make them proud, they just recognise the good they do.
I so want to help vulnerable children and use my language skills and maje differences but at the same time I do want to live comftably like anyone else.

I have heard nursing is hectic and you could loss your licence if something with with patient goes wrong and you have no choice sometimes but to do overtime.

My phone is slow so can't reply quickly

If you want to live comfortably, nursing probably isn't the job for you. Its not minimum wage but its not well paid by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, nursing is busy and stressful and difficult. You'll work without breaks, without eating and drinking on shifts and deal with people at the worse times in their lives. But it is also hugely rewarding.

But I don't believe nursing is something you should just stumble in to. Get some work experience. Read around what its actually like to be a nurse and then decide. But certainly don't base your decision on whether its STEM or not.
How is nursing rewarding after all this.?

I do my work exp in a nursery ATM and don't like it so much. Previous to this I had some workshop with manikins.....

If you want to live comfortably, nursing probably isn't the job for you. Its not minimum wage but its not well paid by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, nursing is busy and stressful and difficult. You'll work without breaks, without eating and drinking on shifts and deal with people at the worse times in their lives. But it is also hugely rewarding.

But I don't believe nursing is something you should just stumble in to. Get some work experience. Read around what its actually like to be a nurse and then decide. But certainly don't base your decision on whether its STEM or not.
How is nursing rewarding after all this.?

I do my work exp in a nursery ATM and don't like it so much. Previous to this I had some workshop with manikins.....

Because you get to make a difference in people's lives.
Btw how much do nurses earn per hour.?
Because you get to make a difference in people's lives.

I guess som
Btw how much do nurses earn per hour.?

About £12.50

Quick Reply

Latest