The Student Room Group

Swear I am a 22 year old bipolar male with no girlfriend at university - help!

Ok i seem to be having a big issue with my confidence etc. upon meeting or at least trying to talk to females I don't know...

This seems to be my biggest problem of initiating where 90% of time i will definitely bail the attempt. However, I am not necessarily shy to people I know already guys/girls both - i seem to be able to express my personality fairly openly and in my friends opinion very loudly once I know the person/at least are friends with them.

The other 10% btw is when i am fairly drunk and honestly don't care about the outcome and will be willing to talk to anyone - however i know this is not an answer to meet a girl i like so I have been trying to go solo whilst sober.

I don't know if I do have issues as I feel like i am bipolar in that respect where I will be super introverted to the point where I look like a complete weirdo yet, people who know me, see me as fairly open... which is kind of weirding me out to be honest lol.
Any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ok i seem to be having a big issue with my confidence etc. upon meeting or at least trying to talk to females I don't know...

This seems to be my biggest problem of initiating where 90% of time i will definitely bail the attempt. However, I am not necessarily shy to people I know already guys/girls both - i seem to be able to express my personality fairly openly and in my friends opinion very loudly once I know the person/at least are friends with them.

The other 10% btw is when i am fairly drunk and honestly don't care about the outcome and will be willing to talk to anyone - however i know this is not an answer to meet a girl i like so I have been trying to go solo whilst sober.

I don't know if I do have issues as I feel like i am bipolar in that respect where I will be super introverted to the point where I look like a complete weirdo yet, people who know me, see me as fairly open... which is kind of weirding me out to be honest lol.
Any tips?

My sub question would probably be to ask if it is possible to find a middle ground where I do not necessarily shout my feelings as i sometimes do to my friends but move it down a notch and yet be able to meet new people without crapping myself.
Reply 2
It sounds like you are shy, not bipolar. Please read more about bipolar before claiming to have it.
Reply 3
Original post by suirrel
It sounds like you are shy, not bipolar. Please read more about bipolar before claiming to have it.

it definitely feels like it as i am shy on one end and yet on the other side of teh spectrum can be the most outgoing person (borderline cocky) - only upon reflection that I feel like wtf.
Reply 4
it definitely feels like it as i am shy on one end and yet on the other side of teh spectrum can be the most outgoing person (borderline cocky) - only upon reflection that I feel like wtf.

I don't mean to be rude, but I truly think that that is very common in shy/reserved people. Most people won't really notice it. It's very common to feel very shy around certain people or in certain situations, and then be much more outgoing in others.

This really is not what Bipolar disorder is at all .. . . Please don't claim to have a mental illness unless diagnosed by a professional. . . .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending