The Student Room Group

Is this legal?

Can a teacher legally record his students without their permission on his mobile device without their consent?
Reply 1
No. If the children are under 16 especially not as they must have consent from both the students and parents, and if they are post-16 then he must have student consent.
Original post by Maim56
Can a teacher legally record his students without their permission on his mobile device without their consent?

not unless it is in relation to the subject. such as art or IT or english debate etc... for his or her personal recording i think they would need your parents consent.
No not legal the teacher needs consent from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The girls in p.e caught this teacher secretly recording them on his mobile phone, however when they went to another teacher about it they were told that due to the fact it is in 'public grounds' it is legal? I'm currently looking for the law's surrounding this but other than the Data protection act, I can't find anything useful :/
Original post by Maim56
The girls in p.e caught this teacher secretly recording them on his mobile phone, however when they went to another teacher about it they were told that due to the fact it is in 'public grounds' it is legal? I'm currently looking for the law's surrounding this but other than the Data protection act, I can't find anything useful :/

While technically legal (if outdoors in a park for example) the teacher could get fired for it. Speak to someone higher up at your school.
Original post by Maim56

I think even on public grounds if you're filming those who are legally children you have to get permission (but I could be wrong on that)
You need permission to film students (and do have to be careful as you get kids who have protection orders and can't be filmed) and if you do film you have to be careful about HOW as you shouldn't be keeping/storing/taking out of school any videos of students so it probably shouldn't be done on the teacher's mobile anyway
Not sure, but surely it'd be best to avoid doing so to avoid being labelled a paedo?

Quick Reply

Latest