The Student Room Group

volume of revolution

the region bounded by the axes and the graph of y = cos-1x is rotated about the x axis to form a solid of revolution. Find its volume.

Given that you need to do pi * y2 how do I go about integrating (cos-1x)2?
Reply 1
Original post by bl64
the region bounded by the axes and the graph of y = cos-1x is rotated about the x axis to form a solid of revolution. Find its volume.

parts would be my guess
Reply 2
Original post by bl64

actually substitution followed by parts

EDIT this is going straight to one of my papers
Reply 3
Original post by bl64

Is that arccos(x)\arccos(x)? If so by parts, though it's a little mean.
If that is 1cos(x)\dfrac{1}{\cos(x)} then you should recognise the form. Does the question definitely say xx axis?
IBP twice would cover it, but it would be a lot nicer if it was about the y-axis.
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
Is that arccos(x)\arccos(x)? If so by parts, though it's a little mean.
If that is 1cos(x)\dfrac{1}{\cos(x)} then you should recognise the form. Does the question definitely say xx axis?

it's arc cosx and it is definitely x axis
Reply 6
i got x(arccos(x))2 - integral of (-2xarccos(x) / (1-x2)1/2) for the first by parts but then when I ibp that I don't get an integral at the end which matches the original integral
Reply 7
Original post by bl64
i got x(arccos(x))2 - integral of (-2xarccos(x) / (1-x2)1/2) for the first by parts but then when I ibp that I don't get an integral at the end which matches the original integral

Yup I agree with the first result. But I'm puzzled about your issue - you don't need it to match the original, just press on and you get to an integral which you can easily evaluate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Alternatively integrating cos(x) around the y-axis using the shell method gives the same result with no substitution, IBP once.
Reply 9
Original post by joostan
Yup I agree with the first result. But I'm puzzled about your issue - you don't need it to match the original, just press on and you get to an integral which you can easily evaluate.

I thought that for these integrals to stop u need an integral at the end to match the original one take it over to the other side and divide your result but the amount which makes the original integral one again
Reply 10
this integral is very clever and requires no "donkey work" or beyond Straight maths knowledge ...
Reply 11
how though do I integrate -2x/(1-x2)1/2 is it going to be -2xarccosx because if so I'll get a repeating integral won't I?
Original post by bl64
how though do I integrate -2x/(1-x2)1/2 is it going to be -2xarccosx because if so I'll get a repeating integral won't I?

Reverse chain rule.
Original post by bl64

You need to use IBP a second time on the form you had in post #7.

If you can't see how, it will help to consider the deriviative of 1x2\sqrt{1-x^2}
Reply 14
Original post by ghostwalker
You need to use IBP a second time on the form you had in post #7.

If you can't see how, it will help to consider the deriviative of 1x2\sqrt{1-x^2}

if I use the one from post 7 and then make u = 2arccosx / (1-x2)1/2 then if I use the product rule I get -2(1-x2)1/2 - 2xarccos(x) / (1-x2)3/2 that's just a mess.

Am I missing something really stupid and obvious?
Original post by bl64
if I use the one from post 7 and then make u = 2arccosx / (1-x2)1/2 then if I use the product rule I get -2(1-x2)1/2 - 2xarccos(x) / (1-x2)3/2 that's just a mess.

Am I missing something really stupid and obvious?

You want to split the term differently for IBP, which is why I suggested considering the derivative in my previous post.

Quick Reply

Latest