The Student Room Group

Can i drop gcse french? is it my choice?

Hello
I am going through some problems mainly revolving ground my gcse french my dad insisted that I had to take it but I have hated it ever since I started it.
My teacher is horrible she says that we have to be aiming for As and A*s every single lesson this puts too much pressure on me and I cannot cope with that. I truly think that if I drop the subject completely not replacing it with another one my stress would be gone. i am on target for all my other subjects (all predicted Bs and above) so if i get those grades i would be leaving school with 11 gcses. which i don't think is that bad.
Mainly it has just put too much pressure on me and a negative attitude towards the subject. I would use the free time to study and improve my other subjects.
I am in the autumn term of year 11. just wondering who do i go to drop it? has anybody done it before? is 11 gcses enough?
also i have been secured a sixth form place to study nothing to do with french i want to go into freelance photography, so I'm dont think dropping it would affect my future would it?
many thanks
Reply 1
What is your exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by rahuleo
What is your exam board?

edexcel
Reply 3
Original post by rockyr77
edexcel

My exam board for French is AQA and my teacher said at the stage of year 11 it is near impossible to drop the subject, most universities look for french so I guess it is important and I would recommend you should carry on. You may be able to take entry level which is still recognised by universities.
Reply 4
Original post by rahuleo
My exam board for French is AQA and my teacher said at the stage of year 11 it is near impossible to drop the subject, most universities look for french so I guess it is important and I would recommend you should carry on. You may be able to take entry level which is still recognised by universities.

okay dokay but i am still gonna go in early tomorrow and ask the headteacher if it is possible. no harm in trying right?
Dropping a subject is your choice. And 11 GCSEs is absolutely plenty. Most colleges and sixth forms accept five or more, so you're along the right track. Besides, my school only allowed us to do up to 9 GCSEs when I was there.

If you think it's going to affect your studies, my personal advice would be to drop it and focus on your other subjects.

Why is your dad forcing you to do French, may I ask? Besides, you can always study French in your own time and under your own steam.
Original post by rahuleo

Not only did I know someone to drop a subject during the final exams, OP has stated that they don't want to go into a profession with French. Also, only subjects at university based on the French language look for French, otherwise a lot more people wouldn't be at university.

You don't need French to be a freelance photographer.
Reply 7
Original post by LaughingKitsune
Dropping a subject is your choice. And 11 GCSEs is absolutely plenty. Most colleges and sixth forms accept five or more, so you're along the right track. Besides, my school only allowed us to do up to 9 GCSEs when I was there.

If you think it's going to affect your studies, my personal advice would be to drop it and focus on your other subjects.

Why is your dad forcing you to do French, may I ask? Besides, you can always study French in your own time and under your own steam.

thank you for all your advice
My dad has always been quite uptight with education i think it is because he messed up his gcses when he was a lad. and i can understand because of this reason why he is so pushy but i still believe that it is my choice. do you think that is fair?
Reply 8
okay dokay but i am still gonna go in early tomorrow and ask the headteacher if it is possible. no harm in trying right?

I think it's unlikely but DO NOT speak to your head teacher. First ask your french teacher or the head of your french department, you might embarrass yourself in front of your head teacher if he does allow you to drop the subject. Talk to your teacher, maybe at the end of the lesson and explain to him/her. If you speak behind his/her's back about dropping the subject and you are not able to, she/he may be offended and treat you badly. All i can say is the 'harm' caused is your reputation being affected by the teacher.
Reply 9
Not only did I know someone to drop a subject during the final exams, OP has stated that they don't want to go into a profession with French. Also, only subjects at university based on the French language look for French, otherwise a lot more people wouldn't be at university.

okay thanks do you think that leaving school with 11 gcses is good?
Reply 10
Original post by rahuleo
I think it's unlikely but DO NOT speak to your head teacher. First ask your french teacher or the head of your french department, you might embarrass yourself in front of your head teacher if he does allow you to drop the subject. Talk to your teacher, maybe at the end of the lesson and explain to him/her. If you speak behind his/her's back about dropping the subject and you are not able to, she/he may be offended and treat you badly. All i can say is the 'harm' caused is your reputation being affected by the teacher.

yeh i see your point but i think that my french teacher will not understand where i am coming from what about my head of year? or career advisor?
Reply 11

Yes that is very true but my french teacher claims that French is one of those subject where you start french, a university can measure your ability by observing how well your grades are in the subject. I was told a C in french is recognised to be better than say for example an A* in travel in tourism. Well of course my french teacher may be biased for her subject but that is what i've been told.
Reply 12
yeh i see your point but i think that my french teacher will not understand where i am coming from what about my head of year? or career advisor?

Would your form tutor be able to help?
Reply 13
Original post by rahuleo
Would your form tutor be able to help?

Yeh that is a good idea thank you
Original post by rahuleo

I have a friend who does edexcel and she was able to drop it last week. Although she tried to do it since the start of september but she was able to do it. They can't force you to do something you don't want to do. Talk to your exams officer on monday and ask them and annoy them until they let you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rahuleo
Yes that is very true but my french teacher claims that French is one of those subject where you start french, a university can measure your ability by observing how well your grades are in the subject. I was told a C in french is recognised to be better than say for example an A* in travel in tourism. Well of course my french teacher may be biased for her subject but that is what i've been told.

It's always bias. For example, a C in French is only really good for a French subject, like an A* in Travel and Tourism is only really good for a Travel and Tourism subject.

The main subjects universities look at for GCSEs is English and Maths.
okay thanks do you think that leaving school with 11 gcses is good?

I'm going to reply to both of your quotes in one.

I don't think it's fair that your dad's pushing you to do a subject, rather he should encourage you to do your best no matter what. It's better to drop French and get all As or Bs than it is to keep French and get all Cs. Admittedly, I didn't do too well in my GCSEs, but I'm making up for it now - I'm doing a degree in a subject I didn't even do for my GCSEs!

As I said, the most anyone at my school was allowed to leave with was 9 GCSEs, so having 11 under your belt when you leave is amazing.
Hello
I am going through some problems mainly revolving ground my gcse french my dad insisted that I had to take it but I have hated it ever since I started it.
My teacher is horrible she says that we have to be aiming for As and A*s every single lesson this puts too much pressure on me and I cannot cope with that. I truly think that if I drop the subject completely not replacing it with another one my stress would be gone. i am on target for all my other subjects (all predicted Bs and above) so if i get those grades i would be leaving school with 11 gcses. which i don't think is that bad.
Mainly it has just put too much pressure on me and a negative attitude towards the subject. I would use the free time to study and improve my other subjects.
I am in the autumn term of year 11. just wondering who do i go to drop it? has anybody done it before? is 11 gcses enough?
also i have been secured a sixth form place to study nothing to do with french i want to go into freelance photography, so I'm dont think dropping it would affect my future would it?
many thanks

I don't see the harm in dropping it. I loved GCSE French and I'm doing AS now, but languages aren't for everyone I guess... and you'll still have 11 GCSEs which is more than quite a lot of people!

Speaking from the experience of dropping an AS level (not French!) today, I'd recommend that you talk to your Head of Year or form tutor about it first, as they'll be easier to convince than your French teacher! But as you said, your Dad might be harder to convince... try telling him just how useful the extra free periods will be?
To be honest i would not drop French it is a really respected subject and highly valued by universities and employers. I don't do French but i do German and i really do dislike the subject, but i have learnt to stick to it and get along. It's nearly December i keep saying to myself a few more months before the exams i have to keep myself going because in the end it will be worth it. After that you can do whatever you want, sixth form, apprenticeship, college etc.
Reply 19
I WAS LIKE THIS IN Y10 AND MY TEACHER WAS EXACTLY LIKE YOURS AND SAID WE ALL NEEDED TO AIM FOR A* BUT honestly drop French its really enjoyable when you start the later units and this is coming from someone who used to cry every French lesson. my mum pressured me into French but I can totally promise you that a language GCSE is worth and quite easy. now in y11 and I'm averaging A/B grades while last year i was getting C/D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending