The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary @ Hartpury 2016

Scroll to see replies

I guess so, but I sent it in November. And I was told at the open day that the interviews take place in Feb. Ah well, you're right though. Just need to wait and see
Got the interview for vet nursing! But I have to do the presentation. Eep! Any advice those of you who have done it, and what did you wear?
Original post by Becca Ren
Got the interview for vet nursing! But I have to do the presentation. Eep! Any advice those of you who have done it, and what did you wear?

Well done! I also had an interview back at the start of February and got offered an unconditional place for vet nursing which I confirmed. When you get there you'll be split into tours and interviews. They make you do an easy question test which is about 13 or something questions long, you have about ten minutes or so to finish it and then the presentation part starts. Just try not to get too anxious or worry about it too much, I thought mine was bad but they offered me a place so couldn't have been that bad😂 I wore black skinnies, a blazer, dolly shoes and a nice white top. Good luck!
Thank you! And congrats on the offer!
What sort of questions were they?
And what did you put in your presentation? I was thinking of doing a slide on why I want to do vet nursing, then a slide on why I chose Hartpury to do it and then a slide on what qualities I think make me suitable for the role. What do you think?
Thank you! And congrats on the offer!
What sort of questions were they?
And what did you put in your presentation? I was thinking of doing a slide on why I want to do vet nursing, then a slide on why I chose Hartpury to do it and then a slide on what qualities I think make me suitable for the role. What do you think?

Thank you☺️ Super happy as it was my first choice. The questions were related to vet nursing like 'how much do you think vet nurses earn a year' 'what part of being a vet nurse do you think you'd dislike' and then stuff like why you want to be it so a bit like your personal statement. For my presentation I had a slide which literally just said 'why I am applying to vet nursing' and then I spoke about everything on that slide so like why I want to do it, my work exp, my reasons for choosing hartpury and then I had slides with just pictures on for the end. I didn't get much time to do it so I focused more on my notes than PowerPoint. I think that sounds good just don't let nerves get to you, some of the girls I did mine with really struggled which was horrible to watch😔 I think as long as you include a lot of personal experiences you had from work exp it will definitely make them remember you better!
Reply 25
Original post by EmmaLou!
Thank you☺️ Super happy as it was my first choice. The questions were related to vet nursing like 'how much do you think vet nurses earn a year' 'what part of being a vet nurse do you think you'd dislike' and then stuff like why you want to be it so a bit like your personal statement. For my presentation I had a slide which literally just said 'why I am applying to vet nursing' and then I spoke about everything on that slide so like why I want to do it, my work exp, my reasons for choosing hartpury and then I had slides with just pictures on for the end. I didn't get much time to do it so I focused more on my notes than PowerPoint. I think that sounds good just don't let nerves get to you, some of the girls I did mine with really struggled which was horrible to watch😔 I think as long as you include a lot of personal experiences you had from work exp it will definitely make them remember you better!

Heya! I got an offer from Hartpury after an interview at the beginning of Feb - was yours on the 3rd? If yes did you have your interview section 1st or 2nd? :smile:
Original post by millyc97
Heya! I got an offer from Hartpury after an interview at the beginning of Feb - was yours on the 3rd? If yes did you have your interview section 1st or 2nd? :smile:

Yeah it was on the 3rd☺️
Mine was in the first section! What about you? Are you thinking of confirming?
Reply 27
Yeah it was on the 3rd☺️
Mine was in the first section! What about you? Are you thinking of confirming?

Aww I was in the second interview session :smile: I'm not sure if I'm going to yet, I've had an interview with RVC and I've got Harper Adams and Napier coming up so I'll wait and see if anything comes of those :smile: where else did you apply?
Aww I was in the second interview session :smile: I'm not sure if I'm going to yet, I've had an interview with RVC and I've got Harper Adams and Napier coming up so I'll wait and see if anything comes of those :smile: where else did you apply?

Aw how did all the presentations go during your half? I also applied to Nottingham Trent, Myerscough, askham Bryan and Harper Adams. Got a offer from askham Bryan without an interview and the rest I had interviews for (apart from Harper Adams I was rejected from😂) but I was too impatient to wait to go to the interviews and the fact Hartpury has the hydrotherapy facilities made up my mind plus I wanna apply for accom as soon as possible cause I don't wanna get stuck with catered😂
Reply 29
Aw how did all the presentations go during your half? I also applied to Nottingham Trent, Myerscough, askham Bryan and Harper Adams. Got a offer from askham Bryan without an interview and the rest I had interviews for (apart from Harper Adams I was rejected from😂) but I was too impatient to wait to go to the interviews and the fact Hartpury has the hydrotherapy facilities made up my mind plus I wanna apply for accom as soon as possible cause I don't wanna get stuck with catered😂

Yeah most were good, but I found that quite a few places didn't give eye contact to the interviewers at all, which I think isn't great. I know what you mean, self catered ensuite is all I want and waiting to hear back from others is stopping me applying for accom 🙄I really likes hartpurys facilities, the only problem is that I'm not sure about having Alevel students on campus, it's abit strange 😂
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah most were good, but I found that quite a few places didn't give eye contact to the interviewers at all, which I think isn't great. I know what you mean, self catered ensuite is all I want and waiting to hear back from others is stopping me applying for accom 🙄I really likes hartpurys facilities, the only problem is that I'm not sure about having Alevel students on campus, it's abit strange 😂

The first girl who went up during my half really panicked which was scary cause I think everyone then just realised like oh god it's really competitive. Yeah I know people who went before and found they got put in catered and I just couldn't think of anything worse but I can't even apply for accom until march😬 I know, it's sort of awkward cause they are all younger but I'm hoping there will be some maturish students there to balance it out.
Did you guys have a reference from your work experience? I went to get mine today but it was wrong! Said I only did a week when I actually did 2 so I cant even use it!
Now I am just thinking my chances of a place are almost 0 without a reference
Reply 32
Did you guys have a reference from your work experience? I went to get mine today but it was wrong! Said I only did a week when I actually did 2 so I cant even use it!
Now I am just thinking my chances of a place are almost 0 without a reference

I had references but I didn't bring them so it should be fine, I only brought th sheets that they sent us ☺️ If you want to, I would suggest that you bring yours along anyway and explain that it's wrong, and then contact the practice and ask them to email the admissions team to amend it 😊
Ah really, okay :smile: And you still got a place with no reference so that makes me less worried about it.
And thank you for the advice ^_^ I hadn't though of doing that
Ah really, okay :smile: And you still got a place with no reference so that makes me less worried about it.
And thank you for the advice ^_^ I hadn't though of doing that

Yeah I had no reference either, I've been at my vets for like fivish years so I was just too lazy to get one😂 Still got a place tho!
Hi guys, I know this thread died a while ago... But I'm a final year biovet and I'm a long term work experience in the canine hydrotherapy unit so thought it was worth reviving having read your replies!

Happy to answer any questions you guys can think of :u:
Hey :smile: The course looks super interesting with all the different modules in the prospectus but how have you found it? (Favourite parts etc) The work experience opportunities look really good but are there many opportunities to get work or a part time job? My Maintenance loan doesn't cover my rent so I'm going to need some sort of income, are there many chances of that on campus?

Original post by Anna_Claire
Hey :smile: The course looks super interesting with all the different modules in the prospectus but how have you found it? (Favourite parts etc) The work experience opportunities look really good but are there many opportunities to get work or a part time job? My Maintenance loan doesn't cover my rent so I'm going to need some sort of income, are there many chances of that on campus?

Hi!

Course has been fab, first year I found a little trying in places as there was biochemistry and genetics to wade through (but they're really important for knowledge for later modules!) and I was older (21 when I started) so I hadn't done any biology / chemistry etc for a long ass time. They were fine though and staff are more than happy to help! Our module leader has been really fab, she's very approachable and knows a LOT. She's always happy to help :smile: In some unis, your tutor won't even know who you are so having a helpful, approachable tutor has been amazing (I think she's a tutor for second and third year nowadays, not sure who covers first year.. but anyhow, she's amazing).

My favourite modules have been the Animal Therapies (1 & 2) and Animal Disease / Health and Disease, there's so many interesting diseases out there :colonhash: but my absolute favourite thing has been my work experience in the canine hydrotherapy unit, I'm going on to be a canine hydrotherapist once I finish now :u:

Jobs-wise, are you looking to live on or off campus and do you drive? If you have a car, that shouldn't be a problem, loads of people have jobs! If you don't drive it may be more difficult as the bus in and out of Gloucester city centre is good and reliable, but infrequent (about once an hour until 8.15pm most days I think with bad weekend service..). I think you can get jobs in the food outlets on campus (Graze / Red and Blacks / Legends) but I'm not 100% sure, even if you can, there's barely any jobs available there so on campus isn't that easy. It's a difficult one as the Hartpury campus is actually quite small, there may be other options though.. I can point you in the direction of many work experience placements though lol!

If you're thinking you might struggle on the money front, it might be worth looking at off-site accommodation (I lived in Hartpury run off site accommodation for my first 2 years and had an absolute blast!). It's cheaper, rooms are bigger and getting into college is a lot easier on the bus for lectures than getting back out for a weekend or evening job! Taxi's into campus are £12 each way I believe, so if you have to consider that to take out of pay, it goes down pretty quickly! It also means that everything is on your doorstep without having to catch the bus to get food etc!!

Sorry for the waffle :u:
Reply 38
With the hydrotherapy, did you have to do additional qualifications to become a canine hydrotherapist? Veterinary physio is something I'm looking into at the moment :smile:
Original post by jesslobb96
With the hydrotherapy, did you have to do additional qualifications to become a canine hydrotherapist? Veterinary physio is something I'm looking into at the moment :smile:

Hi :smile:

Yeah I have a 10 day intensive course to do in Guildford once I graduate, it'll be a lot easier with the experience of handling / helping out with the dogs at the hydro centre, you pick up an amazing amount from just listening!

I wanted to be a vet physio, there's a bit of a shake up going on in the industry at the moment, with some courses changing delivery and what will be necessary to actually become 'qualified' to work on animals.. There are various MSc and Dip/Cert courses out there for vet physio but I'd strongly advise you to get some farm work experience along with equine and canine while doing your degree as they can be tricky to get onto without that experience! (You can get all those types at Hartpury :smile: there's a fully functioning dairy and veal farm there so just ask for the large animal experience lol!). I don't have enough equine or large animal experience to do the vet physio courses at Harper or most of the others so it's on the backburner to do once I'm qualified!

Also, the Veterinary Physiotherapy course itself at Hartpury is for human physio's wanting to go on to work on animals.. I enquired about that :tongue: lol

Hope that makes sense? Finals revision is fogging my brain cells aha :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending