The Student Room Group

Why are white countries nicer than non - white countries?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by zigglr
I think it's safe to say that most white countries (US, UK, European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.) are nicer than most non - white countries (China, countries in Africa, countries in South America, countries in middle east and Asia etc.) in terms of less violence / crime and a higher standard of living. So why is this?
Ohhhh my god. You have never lived in the US (or a certain part of it) for a long period, have you? Nice (where I live, it varies depending on the region)? In general, no, I wouldn't say that. Civil? Sure, but it's the same as almost any other "okay" country. Honestly, my experience in China wasn't bad. Yeah, you might see people trying to run over other people in traffic, but the same happens in Mexico (according to one of my Mexican friends)... which is kind of confusing, if you're trying to decide whether Mexico is "white" or not. But I was in Shanghai, and if you don't already know... lots of people! TONS OF PEOPLE. Of course someone's going to get pissed off eventually. And then there's New York City... never been there, but it sounds like it's a little more brutal than your usual London experience (then again, how would I know? Eh, someone who's been to both cities, let me know). And then there's Canada. Canadians are nice because they're... well... Canadians. That's why America doesn't notice they're there. They haven't attacked us. Yet.So, what about less violence? Well, here in Texas, you're legally allowed to shoot (and kill) someone if they are stealing your property, or if you suspect they're trying to steal someone else's property. Example: A teenager was once shot by a farmer when the farmer caught him stealing a chicken. No charges pressed against the farmer. There are other examples of this happening, too, but this is probably one of the most messed up ones. But don't worry, it seems to be more likely in the rural and occasionally the suburban areas than in the urban areas. That's not violent at all *sarcasm*, and it's legal! (and people wonder why Texans get so worked up about gun control. It's because we have laws that allow it) Yeah, I mean, if by less violence and crime you mean being able to legally kill someone over taking or getting onto your property... eh, sure.Higher standard of living?It's all a matter of perspective, at this point. Some people in some countries are like, ohhhh my life is horrible, I can afford to buy drugs but I can't afford to buy food, woe is me! And then people say welfare isn't doing enough and minimum wage should be increased because people can't afford whatever. *le shrug* I'd say if someone is able to spend nearly all their money on drugs, they have a pretty high standard of living because they obviously aren't like the rest of us mortals who need food and water.(just to clarify, I'm not being entirely serious throughout the whole post, so if it sounds a little offensive or cruel, chances are, I'm being a little sarcastic)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrKmas508
Yes, they learned their methods from the Arabs.

I don't know, Arabs are in a bad position right now look at their countries
Original post by iamthetruth
I don't know, Arabs are in a bad position right now look at their countries

That's due to poor investment strategies. They spent all their money on magic carpets and hookah pipes.
Reply 43
Original post by zigglr
Yeah there's a lot of crazy people there, but the US still probably has the best standard of living in the world

Well, if you want to go by stats, we don't have the best standard of living. That would be countries like Switzerland and the UAE...
Reply 44
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I'd disagree... gun crime, high high racial discrimination, less freedom of choice re: abortion, contraception etc. than the UK and most/all of Europe, ****ty healthcare system, awful food quality (additives, mass antibiotic use in animal feeds/farms, high salt/fat/sugar content in a lot of things), dodgy education depending where you are (abstinence instead of sex ed, trying to ban the teaching of evolution??)...

Ha, gun "crime". See my above post if you want to amuse yourself with the wise and wonderful workings of the wonderful state of Texas.
Well you see, the worst racial discrimination there is here aside from the outright violent kind is the really subtle kind that never gets reported on the news. Like how Americans treat some people as if they are stupid, even though they have a university degree in international law from another country (if they don't look white). And we do have a bit of freedom of choice in those areas (well, it seems like the news makes it seem like we don’t) because if you don’t want them to know, they don’t have to find out. Ahem. I never said that. Awful food quality? Definitely. Let me tell you, if you think McDonald’s is bad, then don’t risk your life by going to the US and trying it. The chicken nuggets I ate a few months ago (that was actually the first time in a few years since I ate McDonald’s in America, and I only did it out of curiosity because the McDonald’s chicken nuggets and French fries I ate in England weren’t that bad)… ohhhh god. They didn’t taste like chicken and they didn’t have the texture of chicken, and they barely even smelled like chicken. But out of those, the worst part was that they didn’t taste like chicken. I don’t even know what they tasted like, but it did not taste like something people should be putting into their digestive system, or any other system for that matter. But fast food in the UK (or at least the parts I went to) are much better than fast food (in general) in the US. The quality of British fast food is roughly equivalent to fairly reasonably priced “table service” restaurants. Lucky, lucky. And the “dodgy education” you’re listing is just what’s reported on the news (though you are right), but it’s much more than that. In most places, especially in Texas, if you’re going to a public high school… Good luck, because rather than spending money to improve the quality of teachers, they spend it on 5 new tennis courts (when there are already 4), or a new parking lot, or renovating the football field (okay, maybe that’s just my school). And most of the time, the teachers are pretty bad quality (I’ve had a few good ones. A few.), and I swear, some of them are hired just because they served in the military (I mean, you’d think they’d know a thing or two because, well, military, but they don’t). Basically, the quality of nearly everything in America is pretty bad, and people are tricked into thinking we have a good standard of living because we have so much crap, I mean, stuff, even though nearly everything we consume is from China or Mexico (who couldn’t care less about our health; don’t think regulations do anything much about it, they trust what the companies say about their products).

Oops. I ranted a bit. But yeah, I agree with you, but because of more specific (and... uh... less publicized) reasons.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by zigglr
Have you never been to the US? It is a paradise, this is what a typical suburb looks like therehttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/3614989898_ecfe005567.jpg?v=0
You've got to be kidding me. Where did you find that? Looks a lot like photoshopped pro-USA "propaganda" XD Here's something a bit more realistic:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12307534_1646817458923096_747517993471104679_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12304198_1646818982256277_3223230682777769661_o.jpg

This is the part of the general 25-ish square km (all suburban) that I live in that people consider to be the "rich-a$$ mofo, the only way you can live here is if you're a doctor or a lawyer" place:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/12308215_1646817465589762_3267724748326404678_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/12307509_1646819172256258_3492127512200359692_o.jpg
Original post by zigglr
Yeah there's a lot of crazy people there, but the US still probably has the best standard of living in the world

No way near the best, also standard of living is an average, rich push that up.
Money
Individualism
Original post by Yavanna
Ha, gun "crime". See my above post if you want to amuse yourself with the wise and wonderful workings of the wonderful state of Texas.
Well you see, the worst racial discrimination there is here aside from the outright violent kind is the really subtle kind that never gets reported on the news. Like how Americans treat some people as if they are stupid, even though they have a university degree in international law from another country (if they don't look white). And we do have a bit of freedom of choice in those areas (well, it seems like the news makes it seem like we don’t) because if you don’t want them to know, they don’t have to find out. Ahem. I never said that. Awful food quality? Definitely. Let me tell you, if you think McDonald’s is bad, then don’t risk your life by going to the US and trying it. The chicken nuggets I ate a few months ago (that was actually the first time in a few years since I ate McDonald’s in America, and I only did it out of curiosity because the McDonald’s chicken nuggets and French fries I ate in England weren’t that bad)… ohhhh god. They didn’t taste like chicken and they didn’t have the texture of chicken, and they barely even smelled like chicken. But out of those, the worst part was that they didn’t taste like chicken. I don’t even know what they tasted like, but it did not taste like something people should be putting into their digestive system, or any other system for that matter. But fast food in the UK (or at least the parts I went to) are much better than fast food (in general) in the US. The quality of British fast food is roughly equivalent to fairly reasonably priced “table service” restaurants. Lucky, lucky. And the “dodgy education” you’re listing is just what’s reported on the news (though you are right), but it’s much more than that. In most places, especially in Texas, if you’re going to a public high school… Good luck, because rather than spending money to improve the quality of teachers, they spend it on 5 new tennis courts (when there are already 4), or a new parking lot, or renovating the football field (okay, maybe that’s just my school). And most of the time, the teachers are pretty bad quality (I’ve had a few good ones. A few.), and I swear, some of them are hired just because they served in the military (I mean, you’d think they’d know a thing or two because, well, military, but they don’t). Basically, the quality of nearly everything in America is pretty bad, and people are tricked into thinking we have a good standard of living because we have so much crap, I mean, stuff, even though nearly everything we consume is from China or Mexico (who couldn’t care less about our health; don’t think regulations do anything much about it, they trust what the companies say about their products).

Oops. I ranted a bit. But yeah, I agree with you, but because of more specific (and... uh... less publicized) reasons.

The gun/Texas thing... wtf O.o
Reply 49
Original post by Yavanna
You've got to be kidding me. Where did you find that? Looks a lot like photoshopped pro-USA "propaganda" XD Here's something a bit more realistic:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12307534_1646817458923096_747517993471104679_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12304198_1646818982256277_3223230682777769661_o.jpg

This is the part of the general 25-ish square km (all suburban) that I live in that people consider to be the "rich-a$$ mofo, the only way you can live here is if you're a doctor or a lawyer" place:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/12308215_1646817465589762_3267724748326404678_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/12307509_1646819172256258_3492127512200359692_o.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgaxf5-xL8

Houses there are about $300k. It looks like a paradise
Reply 50
Original post by zigglr

moneeey, and that's through exploitation and greed
inb4 non-Muslim countries...
Reply 52
Original post by yasaminO_o
Literally today in the US a man shot a waitress in the head because she asked him to put out his cigarette. In what way is America not violent.

Crimes can occur anywhere though, although I don't have to spell out America's gun crime problem.
Reply 53
Original post by zigglr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgaxf5-xL8

Houses there are about $300k. It looks like a paradise

Yeah, if you can afford it (most Americans can't)... Most American homes (assuming you're not one of those who live in apartments) are about $100k-$200k (if you want a 2 story house, it's more towards the $200k), and most people have a few decades of debt/paying off their house afterwards. I get what you're saying, some areas are really nice, but nearly every country (with a reasonable economy) has nice areas. My cousins, who live a few hours from where I do, live in a house that's a little over $500k, and on top of that, they own a ranch, which they're building another house on. But they're the kind of people who have friends that go on outings with former President Bush, so if you're going to say that's an "average" suburban, you may want to re-define average as "average high-income" suburban :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by abruiseonthesky
The gun/Texas thing... wtf O.o

Yeah, luckily it seems like hardly anyone knows about it. I only found out from my uncle, who's really into that sort of thing... (he owns over $10k worth of firearms. Go figure.)
Reply 55
Original post by Yavanna
Yeah, if you can afford it (most Americans can't)... Most American homes (assuming you're not one of those who live in apartments) are about $100k-$200k (if you want a 2 story house, it's more towards the $200k), and most people have a few decades of debt/paying off their house afterwards. I get what you're saying, some areas are really nice, but nearly every country (with a reasonable economy) has nice areas. My cousins, who live a few hours from where I do, live in a house that's a little over $500k, and on top of that, they own a ranch, which they're building another house on. But they're the kind of people who have friends that go on outings with former President Bush, so if you're going to say that's an "average" suburban, you may want to re-define average as "average high-income" suburban :smile:

You don't need to be wealthy to have a nice house in America. I've seen videos of students who have just finished college living in houses nicer than most of the ones you'll find in England. It is because materials are so cheap, and there is so much land there, so houses are therefore so much cheaper and nicer. These houses are on the cheaper side, so aren't so big, but still very nice, and are what most finished college students would live in (with roomates of course):
http://i.imgur.com/2IbEztL.jpg

Also, a house at $300k would have a mortgage of about $2k per month, so you really don't need that great of a salary, $40k (£26k) would be sufficient
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zigglr
I think it's safe to say that most white countries (US, UK, European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.) are nicer than most non - white countries (China, countries in Africa, countries in South America, countries in middle east and Asia etc.) in terms of less violence / crime and a higher standard of living. So why is this?

Because the whites stole everything from the non white countries, that's ****ing WHY! Africa was looted, India etc etc!

What is wrong with China? have you been you ****? it's a great country.

You couldn't pay me to live in a characterless, heartless, beige hell hole like that.
Reply 58
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
You couldn't pay me to live in a characterless, heartless, beige hell hole like that.

Maybe it looks gloomy because of the snow.. But it looks a lot nicer than most neighbourhoods in the UK
Original post by Yavanna
Yeah, luckily it seems like hardly anyone knows about it. I only found out from my uncle, who's really into that sort of thing... (he owns over $10k worth of firearms. Go figure.)

Deep south America sort of baffles me :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending