The Student Room Group

Is it better to be single or in a relationship in your 20s? Discussion

Just been doing some thinking.

On the one hand I love the thought of having someone to love, someone to snuggle with at night and to share deep conversations with, someone who knows me like no other, someone I have a deep romantic connection with etc etc... I think love can be the most beautifully heart-breaking feeling and I want to feel it again at some point in my life time (been in love once before and he was the love of my life thus far)

But on the other hand, I am so YOUNG (just turned 21). There is so much to discover and life is just beginning. There are so many new people to meet, so many places to go. I want to study abroad in third year and do some more voluntary work and travel. I want to experience joy and excitement and fear and elation and ...well, everything. And part of me feels like you can't do all of that when you're so heavily involved with someone at such a young age

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Each have their advantages and disadvantages. I enjoy being single as I can do what I want but I also enjoyed being in a relationship because I was in love.
I guess it's a personal preference. I like the fact I'm nearly 20 and in a relationship with a really great guy. If I want to go travelling and experience exciting things, doing that with my boyfriend would make it just as wonderful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[scroll] it's always better to be single, regardless of age. be single and have sex with as many people as possible if you're a man, that's the way to go. relationships are pointless, they bring headache and hassle for a man because a man just needs sex, not a relationship [/scroll]
Reply 4
Original post by AB25
Just been doing some thinking.

On the one hand I love the thought of having someone to love, someone to snuggle with at night and to share deep conversations with, someone who knows me like no other, someone I have a deep romantic connection with etc etc... I think love can be the most beautifully heart-breaking feeling and I want to feel it again at some point in my life time (been in love once before and he was the love of my life thus far)

But on the other hand, I am so YOUNG (just turned 21). There is so much to discover and life is just beginning. There are so many new people to meet, so many places to go. I want to study abroad in third year and do some more voluntary work and travel. I want to experience joy and excitement and fear and elation and ...well, everything. And part of me feels like you can't do all of that when you're so heavily involved with someone at such a young age

Opinions?

ITT girl debates whether to get a bf, or be a sloot and sleep around
Don't stress people mature at completely different ages but 21 really isn't that young, like most people seem to believe these days. So there isn't really a precise answer on this it is completely dependent on how mature you are. I am 18, and despite what many immature and uneducated people would think of the following, I want to get married in the very near future, over the next few months. I mean things will be extremely hard to balance, I am hoping to go to Oxford this year, but things are amazingly comfortable for me right now and I am certain I am with the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with; so why wait. But personally, I do believe in your 20s you should be in a solid relationship, especially beyond 23ish; I definitely wouldn't want to be getting married any later than 25 personally; those first few years are the years you want to spend with the love of your life.
Original post by Mathematicus65
But personally, I do believe in your 20s you should be in a solid relationship, especially beyond 23ish; I definitely wouldn't want to be getting married any later than 25 personally; those first few years are the years you want to spend with the love of your life.

Different people like different things. Personally, I love being single, particularly at my age. I can't think of anything worse than being tied to someone, and not being free to change jobs / travel at short notice. I am 23.

Literally the only reason for me to want a relationship is fear of being alone when older. I'd like children, but not for a while. I wish there were an extra ten years before the 'child deadline'.

P.S. Things look different from this side of 20.
How young, modern women approach relationships: meet great guy, assume you're in your best years and don't want to be tied down, refuse to date great guy because you feel like you're market value is incredibly high, hit 25, begin to see your opportunities lessen, hit 30, see your opportunities lessen further, feel a biological clock ticking, really wish you had taken advantage of the opportunity and hadn't been such a vapid human being.

Guy is 30, single, still attractive, wealthier, has more prospects and couldn't give a crap about you any more, largely because you're such a vapid human being.

I've seen this scenario play out about...em...20 times in my life. It never fails to make me love the bull****, bat**** crazy feminism many young women have been taught to regard as sacrosanct.
Reply 8
I would be happy to stay in the same relationship for the rest of my life :love:

I'm still young, free, and with the girl I love...
I'm nearly 25 and i've never even been a date, i'm fed up of being single but i'll have to learn to live with it as it's never going to change.

Don't understand people my age who don't want to settle down tbh. I'd give anything to meet someone.
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
[scroll] it's always better to be single, regardless of age. be single and have sex with as many people as possible if you're a man, that's the way to go. relationships are pointless, they bring headache and hassle for a man because a man just needs sex, not a relationship [/scroll]

I really dont agree with that, for me sex is irrelevant compared to having someone that you know loves you, and yes I'm a man too
Original post by TheCitizenAct
How young, modern women approach relationships: meet great guy, assume you're in your best years and don't want to be tied down, refuse to date great guy because you feel like you're market value is incredibly high, hit 25, begin to see your opportunities lessen, hit 30, see your opportunities lessen further, feel a biological clock ticking, really wish you had taken advantage of the opportunity and hadn't been such a vapid human being.

Guy is 30, single, still attractive, wealthier, has more prospects and couldn't give a crap about you any more, largely because you're such a vapid human being.

I've seen this scenario play out about...em...20 times in my life. It never fails to make me love the bull****, bat**** crazy feminism many young women have been taught to regard as sacrosanct.

You really hate women don't you.

To answer OP. I dunno. I'd just go with the flow with whatever happens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a_shabba
I really dont agree with that, for me sex is irrelevant compared to having someone that you know loves you, and yes I'm a man too

You said it, buddy :five:
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3

arent you in a year long one lol?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You really hate women don't you.

1. Straw man.
2. You really like exploiting misogyny to try and appear morally superior, don't you?
Original post by TheCitizenAct
1. Straw man.
2. You really like exploiting misogyny to try and appear morally superior, don't you?

No it isn't. Your view of "modern" women and your contempt for them you make pretty clear.

Well it's like shooting fish in a barrel, what with your misogyny and all.
Original post by Octohedral
Different people like different things. Personally, I love being single, particularly at my age. I can't think of anything worse than being tied to someone, and not being free to change jobs / travel at short notice. I am 23.

Literally the only reason for me to want a relationship is fear of being alone when older. I'd like children, but not for a while. I wish there were an extra ten years before the 'child deadline'.

P.S. Things look different from this side of 20.

I respect your opinion, but your relationship should not disable oh from doing basic things such as altering ones job, and travel at short notice; if your partner cannot respect that you have career goals also, then that is not the person to be in a relationship with at age 20+; that's the calibre of relationship a 15 year old can expect to be in. And i am mature enough to understand I am still young but either way for me I am certain that I know what is best for me know, and despite being 18 no matter what anyone says to me I feel mature enough to be in a vet serious relationship right now.
Original post by sr90
I'm nearly 25 and i've never even been a date, i'm fed up of being single but i'll have to learn to live with it as it's never going to change.

Don't understand people my age who don't want to settle down tbh. I'd give anything to meet someone.

I feel exactly the same way.
Relationship,its miserable being single.Waking up in the middle of the night,wanting to hug or snuggle someone,but then realising you only have yourself,so you hug your pillow and go back to life.
Reply 19
I loooove to be single. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending