The Student Room Group

Does it matter what sixth form I go to?

Is there a difference between grammar school sixth forms and government school sixth forms because I want to know and google wont tell me. What are the main difference if there are any..
It really doesn't matter, as long as they have the subjects you want to study and you are motivated to do well.

grammar school sixth forms tend to be more stricter i guess? less freedom

but college is sooo much better than sixth form!
Reply 2
it doesn't matter man the uni doesn't give a ****
if someone from the worst 6th form in London came out with A*A*A* at A-level and you went to like Watford Grammar or something and got CCC they'd take the other person
it doesn't make any difference to the university

although the teaching may be better but at the end of the day it's just another school
Original post by TheYearNiner
Is there a difference between grammar school sixth forms and government school sixth forms because I want to know and google wont tell me. What are the main difference if there are any..

Firstly;
How are you academically? Are you looking to go to university afterward? If so Russell group, Oxbridge, or a standard univeristy? If so what will you be studying?...these are all important to determine whether or not for yourself it is important what school you go to for lower and upper sixth. In general, it will evidently be better to attend a grammar school, but the area you live in can affect how prestigious attending that school is because in some areas there may be one grammar school within 20 miles making it a good place to attend because of the high competition suggesting to universities that you are of high academic calibre. In some areas there are 10 grammar schools within 5 miles and this can lead to a standard of education almost at the same level as a comprehensive/state insitution..
Original post by Mr...
Not completely true. There are lots of grammar schools close together which are all of grammar school quality. I don't see how the distance between them has an impact on the quality.
Also, going to grammar schools don't automatically make the university assume that you are of a "high academic calibre"

This is my point as well lol. Distance doesn't mean anything. Also if they see a person attending a grammar school getting ABB and a person who goes to the worst sixth form and gets A*A*A* or even A*AA they will more likely take the worst sixth form person because of extenuating circumstances. Then the rest relies on interviews etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
Not completely true. There are lots of grammar schools close together which are all of grammar school quality. I don't see how the distance between them has an impact on the quality.
Also, going to grammar schools don't automatically make the university assume that you are of a "high academic calibre"

Yes sorry I didn't mean to mean that they "automatically" imply their quality by their distance. But taking an example, the grammar school I attened has over 5000 applicants for 112 places and has come 1st in the national rankings in 8 of the past 10 years in suburban london - everyone at this school has at least 10 A*s at GCSE. I know people from at least 7 different grammar schools in Kent, possibly 10, and these people have far lower qualifications; in fact these are no different to a standard comprehensive school with many obtaining a grades C,D, and E on a regular basis; this is because the competition is so low in these areas because there are so many grammar schools that student who never in a million years would attend grammar school in another area are able to in South Kent for example because the shear number of grammar schools.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
This is my point as well lol. Distance doesn't mean anything. Also if they see a person attending a grammar school getting ABB and a person who goes to the worst sixth form and gets A*A*A* or even A*AA they will more likely take the worst sixth form person because of extenuating circumstances. Then the rest relies on interviews etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course, if grades are equivalent, but I didn't realise we were discussing that situation since, evidently a university is unlikely to accept someone with lower grades than another candidate. But if you can get yourself into a prestigious grammar school it can, without a doubt, assist you into getting into the very top universities; some Russell group universities do have preferences with particular schools even if they don't admit it. My school, for example, (a grammar school), had 57 people accepted to Universities of Oxford and Cambridge last year, and every single person went to a Russel Group University (namely almost all going to Exeter, Bristol, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and LSE). This wouldn't occur without some bias from the leading universities to where they select from. But evidently you are correct your grades are by far the most important thing. I am just stating it can help. I moved to my grammar school for sixth form, if I remained at my state I would have no chance of being considered at some of the universities I applied irrespective. It gives extra edge to see that you have been to a very competitive school evidently.
Original post by TheYearNiner

Doesn't matter to unis at all. Some may say that grammar 6th forms are more strict and therefore, you're more likely to do well but as long as you work hard, you'll be fine wherever you go.

You should defo do your research though. When you're applying for a college, look at their reputation and their stats of previous students. If the college has a bad reputation, the teaching won't be very good
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathematicus65
Yes of course, if grades are equivalent, but I didn't realise we were discussing that situation since, evidently a university is unlikely to accept someone with lower grades than another candidate. But if you can get yourself into a prestigious grammar school it can, without a doubt, assist you into getting into the very top universities; some Russell group universities do have preferences with particular schools even if they don't admit it. My school, for example, (a grammar school), had 57 people accepted to Universities of Oxford and Cambridge last year, and every single person went to a Russel Group University (namely almost all going to Exeter, Bristol, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and LSE). This wouldn't occur without some bias from the leading universities to where they select from. But evidently you are correct your grades are by far the most important thing. I am just stating it can help. I moved to my grammar school for sixth form, if I remained at my state I would have no chance of being considered at some of the universities I applied irrespective. It gives extra edge to see that you have been to a very competitive school evidently.

Oh ok. My example was pretty bad lol. But yh grammar and private schools do give you that extra boost to get those grades :smile: congrats on going to an amazing sixth form lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only difference Is with the amount of help the school gives you in your courses.. I.E quality of teaching, resources used etc.. Uni's primarily care about your grades. And experience.. in whatever subject you wish to do.

Quick Reply

Latest